Building A 1/2 wave 2Meter HT Antenna.

Dovebar1

I want to ask the forum if there is any online info on build a 1/2 wave 2 meter antenna for a ht. Mounted directly on top just like a rubber duck antenna.

I built one year's ago from a schematic either in a book or magazine, I do not remember where I found it.

At this time I would have to build it from memory. Probaly some turns of wire around a small form with a variable cap across it and a tap on the coil at a 50 ohm point.
If anyone has any info on this,this info would be highly appreciated.

Thank you. Jim.

nd5y

The AEA Hotrod antenna had a coil from the BNC shell to the whip and a capacitor between the BNC center conductor and whip (or across the coil). I don't have the values.

John_S

Premium Subscriber
Just try a telescoping antenna...like from Smiley Antennas. Also try adding a "tiger tail"...quarter wavelength of wire that makes contact with the ground inside the radio and acts as a counterpoise...the other half of the antenna. On older HT's with a metal housing, this wasn't as needed because your body was in better contact. These days, with all plastic housing, the radio doesn't couple to your hand as good and the additional counterpoise will help more.