Building a new PC, need Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannaMan9

Hello all
So lately I've been building a new PC and I have just purchased the last part nessasary to boot up, now all I need is the operating system. I have read online and made the decision that I'm going to go with windows 7 Home Premium.

Now I've read that I can download the 30 day trial and unlock with a product key, but I need to know where to find one.... Anyone have any advice, even advice non- relivant to windows but PC building in general?

Thanks!

Blackink

Would you mind sharing what parts you used for your build??

And if you've made up your mind to purchase the Windows 7 Home Premium version, why are you looking for a 30 day trial?
Why don't you just buy the OEM version?

n5ims

Hello all
So lately I've been building a new PC and I have just purchased the last part nessasary to boot up, now all I need is the operating system. I have read online and made the decision that I'm going to go with windows 7 Home Premium.

Now I've read that I can download the 30 day trial and unlock with a product key, but I need to know where to find one.... Anyone have any advice, even advice non- relivant to windows but PC building in general?

Thanks!

Not exactly a true "Free Trial" as you describe is available. What folks that say that are probably thinking about is you can install it from the DVD and have a 30 day "grace period" prior to entering your product key. You may (well, probably will) get various reminders that you need to do so during that period, but the OS will work. Once the 30 days are up, you'll need to enter the product key to continue using the OS or remove it and start over with something else. There is a trick that should allow you to extend the 30 day period an additional two times. Microsoft's answer to your question is below (including the trick I mentioned to extend the deadline).

There is a 90 day free trial for the Enterprise Version of Windows 7. There are issues you should be aware of if you use it though. First off, the Enterprise version is more expensive and has strings attached (mostly the enterprise software agreement and minimum purchases you must agree to). Second, once the 90 day trial is up the OS stops working and you must wipe it out and install from scratch. Since this trial is designed for large businesses to test the OS out and not run it for real, there are no provisions to allow you to get anything off the OS after the test expires. The link below refers to this trial as well.

Can you download a Windows 7 Home Premium trial? - Microsoft Community

I second the comment to get the EOM version of the OS. It's the same as the retail version but is less expensive (ok, the packaging is different, but who cares about that). You must buy some hardware to qualify to buy it, but building a new PC I suspect you've done that. A few places do allow you to download the installation DVD instead of getting a physical copy so if you want the free trial only to save shipping time, this may be a way to accomplish that. The link below is one place that has a download delivery system (shop for others if you have a preferred company to shop with).

http://www.softwareking.com/microsoft-windows/microsoft-windows-7/home-premium

Last edited:

ScannaMan9

Would you mind sharing what parts you used for your build??

And if you've made up your mind to purchase the Windows 7 Home Premium version, why are you looking for a 30 day trial?
Why don't you just buy the OEM version?
Read below about windows
Here is my parts list: Intel Core i3-3240, EVGA GeForce GTX 650, Cooler Master HAF 912 - 1K PC done - Scannaman9's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker
The only change is that I'm running a 500gb not a 1TB drive

Not exactly a true "Free Trial" as you describe is available. What folks that say that are probably thinking about is you can install it from the DVD and have a 30 day "grace period" prior to entering your product key. You may (well, probably will) get various reminders that you need to do so during that period, but the OS will work. Once the 30 days are up, you'll need to enter the product key to continue using the OS or remove it and start over with something else. I'm going to do this

There is a trick that should allow you to extend the 30 day period an additional two times. Microsoft's answer to your question is below (including the trick I mentioned to extend the deadline).

There is a 90 day free trial for the Enterprise Version of Windows 7. There are issues you should be aware of if you use it though. First off, the Enterprise version is more expensive and has strings attached (mostly the enterprise software agreement and minimum purchases you must agree to). Second, once the 90 day trial is up the OS stops working and you must wipe it out and install from scratch. Since this trial is designed for large businesses to test the OS out and not run it for real, there are no provisions to allow you to get anything off the OS after the test expires. The link below refers to this trial as well.

Can you download a Windows 7 Home Premium trial? - Microsoft Community

I second the comment to get the EOM version of the OS. It's the same as the retail version but is less expensive (ok, the packaging is different, but who cares about that). You must buy some hardware to qualify to buy it, but building a new PC I suspect you've done that. A few places do allow you to download the installation DVD instead of getting a physical copy so if you want the free trial only to save shipping time, this may be a way to accomplish that. The link below is one place that has a download delivery system (shop for others if you have a preferred company to shop with).

Windows 7 Home Premium - Microsoft Windows 7 - Microsoft Windows

Sorry but to clarify:
I'm currently using the free trial of windows 7 and I'm just wondering where I can find a product key after these 30 days (Starting today). I'm just going to use Home Premium.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Sorry but to clarify:
I'm currently using the free trial of windows 7 and I'm just wondering where I can find a product key after these 30 days (Starting today). I'm just going to use Home Premium.

You can buy one directly from Microsoft on the phone, or you can obtain one from a no longer used PC from the sticker on the bottom/back if it came with the same version you are using a trial of.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
As far as phone goes, I'm pretty sure they don't offer to sell it, only activate
Activate Windows on this computer - Microsoft Windows Help

As far as the sticker goes, my understanding is that this wouldn't work because IF there is a key it would've already been used, right?

That all depends. Sometimes Microsoft will reactivate it, sometimes they wont...depends if the hardware is totally different, or some of it is different...plus how you word the question :)

If you have a legit copy of windows 7 (i.e. paid for, or taken from another computer of the same version) you can always just use an activator program available of some of the pirate sites. While I dont condone piracy, I see no problem using their work for legit (i.e. legal) use.

You could also just order a DVD of Windows off Amazon, since you have 30 days to worry about it. I prefer having a physical DVD of the OS, just in case something happens anyway. It kind of ticked me off when I paid $1000 for a new HP gaming computer, and they wouldnt even give me a DVD of windows 8 which came with it. Since it upgraded immediately to windows 8.1, I am left with no backup (other than the hard drive image I made with Macrium Reflect before booting it the first time). I just have to hope the restore works if I ever need it.

ScannaMan9

So I just used a website (forget the name) and got an activation code of windows 7 64 bit via email delivery for a grand total of $32!
Now it's installed and running updates!

Thanks to all that have replied!

~Scannaman9
Sent from my iPhone 4S using taptalk

puzzleriddle

Last edited:

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
I too bought a copy from Discount Mountain.

It is the Windows 7 Professional version. Did some searching about legality and came upon this site:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full Version 32-bit (Promotional - Microsoft Community

I posted about 5 to 7 questions and had some amazing answers; but low and behold, ALL my questions were removed along with their answers!!! I rattled some nerves there and they shut me up.

But so far the OS is working fine and no problems have popped up, (thanks God for that).

puzzleriddle

hmm, very interesting and my product KEY was validated & is ok so far:) like they is if it is soooo illegal how come Microsoft hasn't shut em down lol

CapStar362

why would you get Ultimate anyways? its nothing more than a bloated Professional with language packs included..... Pro is better anyways. Ultimate just gives you access to the language packs

hmm, very interesting and my product KEY was validated & is ok so far:) like they is if it is soooo illegal how come Microsoft hasn't shut em down lol

dont be surprised one day when you get that bottom right corner "This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine" message

from reading the forums post linked above they will catch you when you least expect it... and then you are straight SOL

your LOL'ing right now about that website, but you wont be if MS figures out the key

Last edited:

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
from reading the forums post linked above they will catch you when you least expect it... and then you are straight SOL

your LOL'ing right now about that website, but you wont be if MS figures out the key

Then you just reactivate it with another key. Keys are all over.

k4rky

Windows 7 Home Premium, unless you are corporate or a programmer, is all you need. E bay $76.00-$108 all day long. No hassle and you'll never see that pesky message.

Status
Not open for further replies.