• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Building a radio based voice paging system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I'm definitely checking into ritron, I need something that have a user friendly platform for the other guys who are gonna be trained on how to use it. So I'm looking into that. I'd love a Motorola dispatch console I could connect direct to a mobile, but I don't want to have to have a huge unit. I'd love a desktop dispatch console, and then the PA and portables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
"The height limitation simply means a limitation of the operating height of a station. For example 60 feet"

So they are not legal to use on top of a tall building? How about a window washer. Once he is over 60 feet off of the ground the radio is no longer legal to use?

§95.1315 Antenna height restriction.
The highest point of any MURS antenna must no be more than 18.3 meters (60 feet) above the ground or 6.10 meters (20 feet) above the highest point of the structure on which it is mounted.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The more information learned about the situation, the more it leads me to believe that an SIP based paging solution would be a better physical fitness compared to an RF solution. With the "nearby" location I'd be willing to guess a PBX phone system is already in place. Comes down to adapting what you've got versus creating a purpose built solution. In the end, the IP based system leaves more room for future expansion and adaptation (plus no worries about licensing).

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

§95.1315 Antenna height restriction.
The highest point of any MURS antenna must no be more than 18.3 meters (60 feet) above the ground or 6.10 meters (20 feet) above the highest point of the structure on which it is mounted.

sort of confusing and nonsensical. It applies to "any MURS station". So maybe using the logic of the FCC a window washer could use the radio to the roof plus 20 feet, even if he was on a skyscraper.

Now if he is a tree climber, the 60 foot rule would prevail.

§ 95.2741 MURS antenna height limit.
The highest point of any MURS station antenna
must not be more than 18.3 meters (60 feet) above
the ground or 6.10 meters (20 feet) above the
highest point of the structure on which it is mounted.
MURS station antennas must also meet the
requirements in § 95.317 regarding menaces to air
navigation. See 47 C.F.R. § 95.317 and consult Part
17 of the FCC’s Rules for more information.

RFBOSS

This is simple.

" 20 feet above the structure on which it is mounted" It is clear that it referrers to the antenna.

Does structure refer to the radio? Not likely.

What this means and there is very similar language regarding CB (11 meter) antennas, is that the antenna cannot be more than 20 feet higher than the structure (tower, building, tree and so on) that it is mounted to or on and the maximum height is 60 feet what ever structure it is mounted to or on.

Structure does not mean the radio.

Below is from the FCC web page.

Why would the FCC even mention an increase in range with an external antenna if an external antenna is not allowed?

The FCC may not mean what they have written, but the meaning of what they have written is clear.

Attachments

• xyzabc.jpg
    xyzabc.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 71

Firebuff880

The more information learned about the situation, the more it leads me to believe that an SIP based paging solution would be a better physical fitness compared to an RF solution. With the "nearby" location I'd be willing to guess a PBX phone system is already in place. Comes down to adapting what you've got versus creating a purpose built solution. In the end, the IP based system leaves more room for future expansion and adaptation (plus no worries about licensing).

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I agree you should be looking at this as two issues.. a SIP based paging system using Viking or Algo or Grandstream or Snom would be the best way to go for your announcing / alerting issues. Then a radio system for your other needs, Motorola's MOTOTRBO or ICom / Kenwood NXDN...

Remember all of this is cheap insurance against what OSHA will fine you if their is an issue / inspection and you are not in compliance.

================

Status
Not open for further replies.