Building (Full Duplex) Cross Band Repeater (Using COR Signal, not VOX) - What 2x Mobiles Provide COR?

chiwititsara

I've had enough of messing with audio (VOX) activated repeater controllers to allow me to roam the house talking via UHF handheld through (duplex, send/receive) my ~50w VHF mobile rigs, configured as base units.

It just never sounds right and I realize I need a proper controller operating based on the COR signal.

I already have a TYT TH9000D UHF monoband unit that can be modified with a DB9 serial connector to deliver the COR signal.

However, rather than starting an entire new project and buying more radios (most likely a VHF monoband TYT TH9000), is there any way to get the COR signal from, say, a Yaesu FTM3100R (I have several and note they have a 'data' jack on the rear)?

nd5y

You need to look in the manual and find the specs on the data connector.
I don't know if the data connector is the same on all Yaesu models that have one.
If it's exactly the same as the FT-7800R then it will work great for that purpose.
Pin 6 puts out either 5 or 8 V (I forgot which) when the squelch opens or with a valid PL or DCS decode.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Many radios have bridge tied load audio amps. If you measure speaker to ground with a DVM, you should see a transition from zero to 1/2 battery voltage when the radio unmutes for any reason,

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Most radios have a busy light, just take the high or low going signal off that. Or the Motorola XTL1500, 2500 and 5000 have what you need, just wire two together and you have an ok repeater. Check this thread.

nd5y

Most radios have a busy light, just take the high or low going signal off that.
That would be a bad idea unless your receiver is CSQ and you want everything on the rx freq repeated or the busy light only comes on when PL/DCS is detected.

n1ofj

Most ham stuff isn't made for this. You would need an "and" logic point (carrier and correct PL/DPL) which would require surgery. Plus audio responses between the different radio would probably sound like crap. You don't want to do too much pre emphasis and deemphasis. You would need flat audio. Another area of surgery. Stick with 2 commercial radios that would do the job.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Pretty much any commercial radio from Icom, Kenwood, EF Johnson, Motorola (minus the Spectra, Astro Spectra and Astro Spectra Plus) will have COR, line level TX audio in, line level RX audio out and PTT on the rear accessory connectors. Pretty straight forward to setup but you may need/want an actual controller.