Building new radio room...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
doesnt halon eat oxygen so that the fire cant burn? in an enclosed space, would it not suck the oxygen out of your lungs and kill you? I know in our work server room if you hit the fire alarm you have to make sure everyone is out and then hit a secondary button under a battle switch and it counts down and when the timer goes it sets off the halon and if youre not out...youre dead :)
Proper training on the correct use of a system the size typically found in large server rooms is definitely needed in order to prevent "dead".

Hand-held halon extinguishers or small (5-20#) auto units will not, however, "suck the oxygen out of your lungs".

j0nnyb1aze

While I agree w/ the "clean agent" extinguisher assessment, I might point out that I would recommend Halotron over Halon 1211 or 1301. Its the same concept as halon but is better for the environment(halon was fount do be ozone depleting). Halon has actually been banned from manufacture(not use, product already in existance can still be recovered and used). As w/ halon an 11# will give you an A rating(11# = 1A, 15# = 2A)

Just a thought.

As far as sucking oxygen, yes that's how they work and as the other poster stated small units are not likely to suffocate you too quickly, however I still recommend leaving the area after discharging one untill the room has had time to ventilate.

Another, much cheaper solution would be CO2, however this has no A rating, but now I'm rambling.

Edit:

I will also 2nd and 3rd and even 4th that you should avoid dry chem if you can. It will potentially destroy all the rest of the equip in the room quite readily. However if halon/halotron is cost prohibitive keep in mind that no amount of equipment is worth losing a house or a life.

Last edited:

zguy1243

Installed the Glen Martin RT-1832 18 aluminum roof tower tower on the comm shack and started working on the grounding. This tower will hold a 15 foot mast where the two 225-400Mhz co-phased log periodic antennas will be. The tower also gets a trusty Ham IV rotor and mast mounted preamps and bandpass filters in a nema enclosure at the top near the rotor. There was quite a bit of wood bracing in the form of 2x8's that had to be added in the roof inside the building, this took some time to do but the tower is rock solid now. There is no sway at standing at the top. More pics as they come......

Last edited:

zguy1243

Thanks for all the good info as far as fire suppression. Once I get my building grounding system done I am going to do something simple for fire. I will get back with you guy for some more advice when I get to that point, sounds like you have your game on when it comes to this stuff.

thanks

While I agree w/ the "clean agent" extinguisher assessment, I might point out that I would recommend Halotron over Halon 1211 or 1301. Its the same concept as halon but is better for the environment(halon was fount do be ozone depleting). Halon has actually been banned from manufacture(not use, product already in existance can still be recovered and used). As w/ halon an 11# will give you an A rating(11# = 1A, 15# = 2A)

Just a thought.

As far as sucking oxygen, yes that's how they work and as the other poster stated small units are not likely to suffocate you too quickly, however I still recommend leaving the area after discharging one untill the room has had time to ventilate.

Another, much cheaper solution would be CO2, however this has no A rating, but now I'm rambling.

Edit:

I will also 2nd and 3rd and even 4th that you should avoid dry chem if you can. It will potentially destroy all the rest of the equip in the room quite readily. However if halon/halotron is cost prohibitive keep in mind that no amount of equipment is worth losing a house or a life.

That is actually some bad info. Halon does not in anyway remove the oxygen from the room or suffocate you. Nor does FM200, FE227, Inergen, Novec, or any of the other Halon replacements. They work by both cooling the fire and interrupting the chemical reaction that is fire. CO2 WILL suffocate you and is not permitted for use as a total flood system in an occupied space.

kb0rpj

Feed Provider
why not central ground?

currious as to why the tower is not connected to the other ground point. I thought, or I should say, i've always been told its generally a better idea to ground everything to one point rather than several points. have I been told wrong all these years?

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
have you considered a solatube ? very nice for ambient light ..and cheap

good setup so far

zguy1243

Any more pictures yet? Awesome!

Well I am trying to get the SATCOM receive stuff up and running. Here are a couple of the Trivec AV2095 mounted on the tower. Found some surplus direcTV pole mounts that made a nice sturdy stand off mount for the antenna. Work has been very busy this week, hope to have some radio time this weekend...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.