Buncombe S.O. 3 licenses for 700mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

I have been trying to remember why Buncombe County S.O. has three licenses for 700 MHZ sites. WQPL588,, WQPL590,, WQPL591. Each specific site has three control points. I once thought I understood why only two sites are listed in the database. Now I am wondering. I do recall mapping out all of the frequencies once by writing down all of them. I saw that two were completely separate, and one had a combination of both. Can anyone tell me if I would be missing something by only using the two listed in the database. Please excuse me if this is a very simple answer, I still get confused from time to time...

robkermit

If you pull the licenses up on FCC and look the frequencies are different for each license and the licensed locations are also different.

AlphaFive

Bunc. 700 mhz

Buncombe County 700 MHz system has three systems.
First, western county repeater system WQPL588
six sites,1) S. Leicester 2) Weaverville landfill 3) Busbee Mtn. 4) Pisgah Hwy 5) Sandy Mush 6) Barnardsvl

Second, eastern county repeater system
WQPL590
six sites, 1) Black Mtn. N 2) Black Mtn. S 3) Fairview 4) Town Mtn Rd 5) Dillingham Rd 6) Elk Mtn Hwy

Third, is a low power output, repeater system, at two sites in S. Asheville. The third system utilizes a combination of frequencies from the first two systems
WQPL591
two sites 1) Swannanoa 2) Arden

The R.R. database information is certainly correct. This is simply an expanded explanation for anyone who might happen to care.

robkermit

The third "low power" system, does it use the same control channel as the east and west simulcast systems that are in the database? Just curious as I have both programmed in my scanner and spend a lot of time in Buncombe and have a terrible time picking the 700 system up.

AlphaFive

It's been a very long time since I put just that system as a stand alone in, and ran it. I do recall that well over a year ago, I ran it as a wildcard in my Pro 197, and nothing came up. I am going to run it tomorrow and see what happens.. It will certainly be interesting to see. Take care up there, and thank you for responding

robkermit

When I pick it up I sometimes get transmissions off of it. It's not a very widely used system from what I can tell. I also scan the Asheville 800 TRS and all Buncombe conventional frequencies, in addition to VIPER. VIPER always picks up good and Asheville does when I'm in their city limits. When Buncombes system picks up, it picks up very well. It just... Doesn't pick up most of the time!I work in Weaverville.

I have a Uniden 396T with a Laird 800 MHz antenna (EXE806SM) which usually picks up the 800 MHz stuff exceptionally well.

I will be working in Weaverville (across from the WM) and spending a lot of time down that way, so being able to monitor in my off time to kill time is a must!!! :)

AlphaFive

Control Channels

Okay, as of 10 this morning, I put in all of the frequencies for the WQPL591 system in as a conventional channel list. I received full bars on all frequencies. The two control channels that immediately came up were 770.11875 and 771.68125. I also ran a P 25 Wildcard scan with the same results. Now I am the first to say that I am still trying to learn about trunked systems. So anyone else please check out what I have found and let me know where I veered off of the tracks..thanks for your help

Also, 770.11875 is showing to be assigned to the east system w/ NAC 302
771.16875 is showing to be assigned to the west system w/ NAC 301

Last edited:

robkermit

You should be able to program those two frequencies as P25 standard systems.

This may be a problem in relation to why I can't pick up as RR has 769.08125 as a cc as well as 769.79375. Maybe their 700 system has some sort of rolling control channels (like some of the other trunk systems I've seen discussed)

Nice find and thanks for taking the time to discover these other two cc's.

robkermit

Once you get them in, if you can, do a hold on each frequency and get the broadcasted SSID's so we can pair then up with the proper site (east or west) or it could be possible that we may have a north or south too? Just guessing!! ;)

AlphaFive

Control channels

I know exactly what your referring to, I see it with any other system, i.e. Duke Progress, or those Tennesee govt.systems. But this is where this particular system is above my pay grade. When the two frequencies are run as a conventional frequency hit, and held, the screen will only show that it is a P 25 system with an NAC of either 301 or 0302. No Site i.d number or anything else. As a conventional hit there is also the control channel "data noise" or "computer noise" associated with it.

As a P 25 system with those two only plugged in it works just as it should, with the talk group i.d. showing, and the scanners indicator that the control channel is being received.

robkermit

When you set them up in a P25 system and "hold" them, does it show control channel info? I would set one frequency in one site/system and the other in another.

robkermit

Cassidian Communications’ P25 Land Mobile Network Completes System Acceptance at Buncombe County, N.C. for Enhanced Public Safety Communications
State-of-the-art CORP25 system takes the county to the next level of public safety communications
RICHARDSON, Texas, October 28, 2013 - Today, Cassidian Communications, an EADS North America company, announced acceptance of its CORP25 digital, trunked P25 Land Mobile Radio (LMR) network by Buncombe County, N.C. for enhanced public safety communications and response. Covering a 660 square-mile area between the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains, including the city of Asheville, this new, 12-site network enables secure, reliable radio communication for the county’s first responders, as well as government and public works users.

Selected to replace Buncombe County’s aging radio system, the CORP25 solution includes infrastructure, design, engineering, installation, long-term managed services, and 24/7 maintenance and support. As a truly open, P25 standards compliant solution, Cassidian Communications’ CORP25 made it possible for the county to utilize competitive procurements for its mobile and portable radios as well as other key network elements. This “unbundled” approach allowed the county to reduce the total cost of ownership, increasing the overall economic value of the new network.

“We wanted a radio communications solution that would give us maximum flexibility to build the best network, with the best equipment, at the best price,” said Jerry VeHaun, director of emergency management, Buncombe County. “Cassidian Communications’ CORP25 system does all that and delivers the increased capacity, enhanced coverage and interoperability our public safety responders need.”

“Buncombe County is leading the movement in the procurement of land mobile radio networks, recognizing that an open, multi-vendor solution makes it possible for the county to get the right tools at the right price for its first responders,” said Francois Begaud, chief operating officer for Cassidian Communications Land Mobile Radio division.

“CORP25 delivers the improved spectral efficiency, increased capacity, enhanced coverage and interoperability necessary to support our deputies in the field,” said Sheriff Van Duncan, Buncombe County. “In addition, this IP-based network will evolve with us as our needs change, keeping the county safely on the front edge of mission critical communications.”

Cassidian Communications continues to serve clients ranging from public safety operations to Fortune 1000 corporations to federal agencies. The company has more than 40 years of experience deploying 9-1-1 call processing solutions, notification solutions and digital trunked radio networks for first-responder organizations.

About Buncombe County (www.buncombecounty.org)
Nestled in between the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains for more than 200 years, Buncombe County has transformed from a rural farming area to a burgeoning metropolis with cities frequently listed as "Top Ten" places to live. With a population of more than 230,000 and an area of 660 square miles, Buncombe County is home to numerous parks, lakes, streams, and other outdoor attractions as well as neighborhoods and communities rich with culture.

Buncombe County government has an average of 1,400 employees who serve as firemen, sheriff deputies, social workers, librarians, emergency medical workers, landfill technicians, agriculture extension agents, lifeguards, planners, tax assessors and administrators all working to insure a high quality of life for all residents and visitors.

About Cassidian Communications (www.CassidianCommunications.com)
Cassidian Communications, an EADS North America company, is a global leader and trusted source for mission-critical communications technologies, including NG9-1-1 call taking systems, emergency notification solutions and services, and P25 land mobile radio networks and LTE. For over four decades, Cassidian Communications has upheld its promise to keep people connected when it matters most, consistently designing solutions with an open mind and creating smarter, more effective ways to ensure communities are safe. For Cassidian Communications, CRITICAL MATTERS[emoji769]. The company is headquartered in Temecula, Calif., with facilities located in Richardson, Texas, Franklin, Tenn. and Gatineau, Quebec.

About EADS North America (www.eadsnorthamerica.com)
EADS North America is the U.S.-based operation of EADS, a global leader in aerospace, defense, and related services. EADS contributes more than $14 billion to the U.S. economy annually and supports over 225,000 American jobs through its network of suppliers. EADS North America, headquartered in Herndon, Va., offers a broad array of advanced solutions to meet U.S. military and commercial requirements, including fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft, homeland security systems, public safety communications, defense electronics and avionics, and threat detection systems.

Jakeportland

Premium Subscriber
They going to use any encryption on the main dispatch channel ?

Are they going to use any encryption on the new 700 MHz ?

Last edited by a moderator:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Jake, BCSO already uses encryption on 2 or 3 TG's. EMS uses it on the EMS - ER TG. Its all already in the DB.

AlphaFive

Final conclusion

License WQPL 591. I have entered two control channels for these two south Asheville sites, 770.11875 and 771.68125. If only those two control channels are entered the entire system functions as well as it is capable of, minus the other two systems in the county. The south sites operate just as either the west or east sites would independently, using their own separate control channels. I have observed that when all three sites are working simultaneously, as three independent 700 mhz. systems, there no longer exists dropped conversations, or conversation picked up in mid subject. The flow is seamless.

The items listed above are facts. I will leave what this means to others with functional knowledge of trunked systems. I have taken what I have observed and made the decision to enter a third system into my scanning folders for Buncombe County government. If this helps anyone in western North Carolina, I am glad. Thank you to everyone who offered their assistance.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
This would imply that there are separate sites, not an simulcast exclusive system. Simulcasts use every site on the same freqs, same CC's, exact same VC's at the same time. Would be interested to see what Pro96Com, Unitrunker, and T-88 report... If there are separate site numbers showing up, that would confirm it is stand alone sites. This would indeed make the system much easier to monitor.... Seems that there are now 2 simulcasts, and 2??? stand alones? Or 2 sc's and one sa?

robkermit

Milf... They have an east and west simulcast, apparently. But I plugged the numbers in that AlphaFive posted into mine. Getting the east system with full signal in Weaverville as I type this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.