Bureau of Land Management New District

Status
Not open for further replies.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
The BLM added a 4th district in the latter portion of 2020. An Upper Colorado River Fire Management Unit has existed for decades and Grand Junction has been the dispatch center for this unit. When the BLM reduced the number of districts it had some years ago they split this unit in two with the Grand Junction Field Office going to the Southwest District and the Colorado River Valley Field Office ending up in the Northwest District. This meant each Field Office was being dispatched by Grand Junction and the Fire Management Unit encompassed both of these Field Offices, but each of them reported to different district managers. I guess this was causing some confusion and inefficacies so a new district, headquartered in Grand Junction was created.

I haven't researched the district numbers, although I have some information that the Southwest District is District #3. So a Type 4 engine on this district would be 3421, where 3 is the district, 4 is the engine type, 2 refers to something local, such as a station or duty location and the 1 stands for the engine at that station or duty location.

The nationwide state office, district and field office map was developed earlier in 2020, but did not include Colorado's district change. I'm not sure when that map will be updated.

The new district map is found here:

BLM Colorado Admin Units October 2020

Here is a thumbnail:

Attachments

• 2020 (Oct) BLM CO District & Field Office Map.pdf
    721.8 KB · Views: 14
I haven't researched the district numbers, although I have some information that the Southwest District is District #3. So a Type 4 engine on this district would be 3421, where 3 is the district, 4 is the engine type, 2 refers to something local, such as a station or duty location and the 1 stands for the engine at that station or duty location.

Upper Colorado River District number remains 2.

Division/Battalion 21 - West Zone / E2411, E2412, E2613 in Grand Junction
Division/Battalion 22 - Central Zone / E2421, E2622 plus USFS (WRF) E603 & E604 in Rifle
Division/Battalion 23 - East Zone / USFS (WRF) E606, E607 & E609 in Silverthorne and Eagle

What district number is the Rocky Mountain District?

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Upper Colorado River District number remains 2.

Division/Battalion 21 - West Zone / E2411, E2412, E2613 in Grand Junction
Division/Battalion 22 - Central Zone / E2421, E2622 plus USFS (WRF) E603 & E604 in Rifle
Division/Battalion 23 - East Zone / USFS (WRF) E606, E607 & E609 in Silverthorne and Eagle

What district number is the Rocky Mountain District?

I found some information that the Northwest District is #1 and as I indicated the Southwest District is #3. Along with the Upper Colorado River District being #2, then Rocky Mtn. has to be #4. It is likely as the districts are listed in numerical order from north to south on the west side of the state. The 2020 listing of BLM admin units I have lists everything alphabetically, state by state, followed by districts and finally field offices. The district codings, for some reason, all show zeros. The Field Offices have numbers shown. For Colorado the listing I have shows:

NW District #1:

100 Little Snake so radio ID's would be 1100
200 Kremling (1200)
500 White River (1500)

Upper Colorado River District #2:

300 Grand Junction (2300)
400 Colorado River Valley (2400)

SW District #3:

200 Uncompahgre (3200)
300 Grand Junction (3300)
400 Tres Rios (3400)

Rocky Mtn. District (presumed to be #4)

100 Gunnison (presumed 4100)
200 Royal Gorge (presumed 4200)
300 San Luis Valley (presumed 4300)

Number series not shown in listings cover such things as Operations, Administration, Renewable Resources (timber, water, wildlife, recreation), Non Renewable Resources (minerals, oil & gas), Realty and others I might be forgetting. Sometimes Fire and Aviation has their own number and are not lumped into Operations, which includes maintenance (mostly roads), IT, radios and such. Only fire apparatus has a national standard for numbering, with nearly every state office but California following it. California came up with its standard prior to anyone else and they seem to be sticking to it, in spite of national direction. It is so hard to get everyone on the same page!

Status
Not open for further replies.