Burien Washington Handheld Scanner Advice / Options

jdijulio

Let me first start that I'm a newbie and apologize in advance for those who know way more than I do who find this question annoying and/or if I'm not posting this in the right place!

I know barely enough to be dangerous (used to know CB radios, have played around with FRS/GMRS/basic understanding of HAM radio/CTCSS/DCS/etc) but am completely lost with anything digital, trunking, etc.

I think my "want" is pretty simple, but I simply don't know if it's possible, so I'll try to ask the question as simply as I can in hopes that someone can both:

A) Help me learn
B) Save me from wasting my money if it's not possible.

It's my understanding that my area in general is rapidly moving towards phasing out any reliance on 800MHz system that is (kind of?) still being used in favor of the new PSERN system in the Seattle / King County area I live in. It's my understanding PSERN is a Project 25 Phase II system.

Now, to my question: I would like to have a handheld (Uniden SDS100, etc) that when I hear a siren (Police, Fire, EMS) I can turn it on and hear what's happening around me.

That's pretty much about it.

I don't want to deal with an cell phone ne app, opening a web browser on my computer, etc. All I want to be able to go to a hardware device that all it is is a "scanner", that I can flip on and immediately start hearing radio traffic at 2:00 AM in the morning when I am awoken by sirens.

The city I live in (Burien) is serviced by the King County Sheriff's Office. I believe Fire and EMS radio dispatch comes through a regional dispatch center called ValleyCom (someone feel free to correct e if I'm wrong?). I have no idea if any of the agencies are or will soon be using encryption, which if they are or will be I assume will throw a big wrench in my hopes?

Anyway, would be super great if I could buy a single device, and be able to hear any agency (again, police, fire, EMS that serves my area - bonus if it could also tune into Washington State Patrol, which goes up and down Highway 509 as well).

Anyone able to help educate me on my options and/or burst my bubble?

Thanks in advance!

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
An SDS100 (or 200) is necessary out here because of simulcast and the terrain that tends to bounce signals around.

Yes, we are transitioning from KCERS (800Mhz analogue) to PSERN, which is also 800Mhz, but P25 II.
Here is the problem.... yes, PSERN will also be encrypted. Fire and such will probably not be (encrypted), but law enforcement will definitely be.

WSP - in King Co, they use a 700Mhz P25II system, along with conventional 150Mhz P25 II. So far, both are not encrypted.
A 3rd system, JIWN (feds) is also used by WSP in areas of the state. JIWN is 170Mhz P25 II.

Hope that helps?

jdijulio

This definitely does help, @nessnet !

I was hoping the SDS100 (to start) and then perhaps an SDS200 (if/when I want to setup a more permanent rig in my home) would work for this area, and it sounds like, all things considered, it is the best bet, is that right?

In terms of "tuning in", it's my understanding the SDSx00 series is fairly idiot proof - Simply punch in a Zip Code and it will allow you to pretty easily automatically tune into the various agencies of interest, is that right?

I'm an IT Manager by trade, so I think I'll be able to eventually emerse myself into the world, so to speak, but at the same time I don't have as much time to tinker as I used to, so a unit that can at least get me up and running in "idiot mode" to start where I can tinker more with it over time would be great.

Does the SDS series meet the mark for easy out of the box "get up and running without any fuss or brainpower" but also allow you to lean in and do more advanced things later?

Thanks again!

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
The 100/200 will rec've most anything.

The 100/200 actually have a fairly steep learning curve to use them to their utmost capability.
That means building favorite lists, and using location control/GPS/quick keys.
But, if you are in IT, you will catch onto it quickly. It really is just taking some time to learn.

Sure, zip code scanning get's you going, but it also has it's downside.
You don't have much control of what you are hearing and there is an old saying.....
"The more you scan, the less you'll hear"....

Fortunately, you have a valuable resource (here) and lot's of help is available.
Hint: always search RR first for an answer, then if you need further help - ask.

jdijulio

Awesome, thanks a lot, @nessnet ! Much appreciated and looking forward to getting setup! Will take your advice on doing some searching before posting as well to see if future questions I'm looking for have already been covered previously.

PS: Looks like a mod filed this into the U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Washington Radio Discussion Forum. I take it that would be the best place to search for our area going forward?

piercescan

Let me first start that I'm a newbie and apologize in advance for those who know way more than I do who find this question annoying and/or if I'm not posting this in the right place!

I know barely enough to be dangerous (used to know CB radios, have played around with FRS/GMRS/basic understanding of HAM radio/CTCSS/DCS/etc) but am completely lost with anything digital, trunking, etc.

I think my "want" is pretty simple, but I simply don't know if it's possible, so I'll try to ask the question as simply as I can in hopes that someone can both:

A) Help me learn
B) Save me from wasting my money if it's not possible.

It's my understanding that my area in general is rapidly moving towards phasing out any reliance on 800MHz system that is (kind of?) still being used in favor of the new PSERN system in the Seattle / King County area I live in. It's my understanding PSERN is a Project 25 Phase II system.

Now, to my question: I would like to have a handheld (Uniden SDS100, etc) that when I hear a siren (Police, Fire, EMS) I can turn it on and hear what's happening around me.

That's pretty much about it.

I don't want to deal with an cell phone ne app, opening a web browser on my computer, etc. All I want to be able to go to a hardware device that all it is is a "scanner", that I can flip on and immediately start hearing radio traffic at 2:00 AM in the morning when I am awoken by sirens.

The city I live in (Burien) is serviced by the King County Sheriff's Office. I believe Fire and EMS radio dispatch comes through a regional dispatch center called ValleyCom (someone feel free to correct e if I'm wrong?). I have no idea if any of the agencies are or will soon be using encryption, which if they are or will be I assume will throw a big wrench in my hopes?

Anyway, would be super great if I could buy a single device, and be able to hear any agency (again, police, fire, EMS that serves my area - bonus if it could also tune into Washington State Patrol, which goes up and down Highway 509 as well).

Anyone able to help educate me on my options and/or burst my bubble?

Thanks in advance!
I wish they would keep main channels in clear and encrypt all tac channels...

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Depends on what you are looking/searching for...

Things specific to the radio (how to...) would be found on Uniden Tech.
Things specific to WA and to King Co (WWA) would go on WA Radio discussion.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
In terms of "tuning in", it's my understanding the SDSx00 series is fairly idiot proof - Simply punch in a Zip Code and it will allow you to pretty easily automatically tune into the various agencies of interest, is that right?

This is what RR would like you believe so that you have to purchase their subscription. The RR database is data submitted by users and generally not verified by anyone until after the fact. Don't depend on the data to be perfect or remotely accurate.

PSERN will eventually be encrypted but likely not immediately until after the system is stable. From what we've been told this is also up to each agency to decide. You'll be at the mercy of King County SW division.

It's kind of hard to justify buying a $650 scanner right now for it to be a paperweight in the future. There are cheaper options but not in the 'handheld scanner' market.

PS. The Whistler TRX-1 will likely work just fine too. It's quite a bit cheaper and there's no optional licenses to buy.

Tortue

I'm able to listen to PSERN on my bcd325p2. I'll wait until the encryption BS shakes out before moving up to a more capable receiver.
By using one site per location, I haven't experienced any simulcast issues. Don't know if this helps, but it's been an economical option for me.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
what about a uniden 436? it could work however the whistler tr-1 is like $435 on amazon currently.

The TRX-1 is the ideal 'walk away and record' scanner. It has no add-ons to buy whereas the 436 requires purchasing codes for DMR and NXDN at $60 each. I haven't heard any simulcast issues on PSERN but with such little traffic it's hard to get a true reading. The 436 is better if you're more actively involved in your scanner. It's much easier to program from the keypad too. You can record with the 436 too but it's a wonky implementation and requires 3rd party software to make it comparable to the TRX-1.

If the rumors are true then you won't be hearing much activity anyway since 90% of traffic will be encrypted.

If you don't like the TRX-1 then there are more than enough people that would buy it from you. There are several people on this board that own multiples of TRX scanners. They shall remain nameless, however; as they're foreign agents on loan to the US Government.