Burlington County 700 MHz Project 25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnjl

Does anyone know what changed from earlier in the spring where someone mentioned on here they were going to keep PD transmissions in the clear with the option to go encrypted if needed? Although it should be no shocker with Camco and many other places doing it, I feel like I've lost a friend today, lol. I don't care if this gets me in trouble or not...maybe this would have all happened anyway, but I will forever rue the day that streaming police apps gained such popularity, perpetuated by this very website.

rrpratt

Premium Subscriber
I remember hearing last fall the County FireChiefs Assoc was upset because the PD channels would be encrypted. They see it as a take away.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Yep, and my friend's department was willing to provide the extra radio at their expense to have at least their sector programmed as 'RX Only', but the county refused.

They only offered the ability to press/media at a cost of $5000 per radio that the TV station/newspaper would have to completely foot the bill for...

phillydjdan

To answer a recent question, the radio does NOT re-affilaite with a talkgroup change. It "logs on" when it's turned on and "logs off" when turned off. Channel changes only indicate "logging off" the first talkgroup and then onto the other talkgroup.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
So the reason there is encrypted activity on TGID 3104 and activity on TGID 3201 from Mansfield, Bordentown and Florence is the Bordentown site of the 500 system is down and some of the units radios cannot make it out to Pemberton or Westampton site. It is unknown when the site will be back up.

rrpratt

Premium Subscriber
So the reason there is encrypted activity on TGID 3104 and activity on TGID 3201 from Mansfield, Bordentown and Florence is the Bordentown site of the 500 system is down and some of the units radios cannot make it out to Pemberton or Westampton site. It is unknown when the site will be back up.
Oh WOW. I know Central was having problems getting audio yesterday down my way, Willingboro, Mt. Laurel, etc... They could see a unit keying up but no audio til the second try. I'd say some transition is beginning. My son who runs in Southampton says there's no activity there yet.

rrpratt

Premium Subscriber
My son just told me a minute ago they are moving up training and transitioning to next week in Southampton. And that's due to current system problems.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
To answer a recent question, the radio does NOT re-affilaite with a talkgroup change. It "logs on" when it's turned on and "logs off" when turned off. Channel changes only indicate "logging off" the first talkgroup and then onto the other talkgroup.
Actually, the subscriber does affiliate every time the talkgroup is changed. The term "affiliate" is often misused when discussing trunked systems, most notably to incorrectly describe subscriber registration.

When powered up, or if switched to a talkgroup from a conventional channel, or from another system, the radio registers, i.e. logs on to the system. Once registered successfully, the radio affiliates with the talkgroup, i.e. tells the system "Hey I'm on TG 1234". These two actions happen nearly simultaneously.

In the case of multi-site systems, the system is also aware of which site the radio registered at, and keeps track of that along with the affiliated talkgroup to ensure that the appropriate transmissions are carried at that site. If the radio roams to another site, it re-affiliates with the talkgroup, and the system makes sure that the talkgroup also follows the radio to the new site.

If the channel is changed to a different talkgroup, the radio transmits an affiliation request for the new talkgroup.

When powered off, or switched to a conventional channel, or to another system...the radio de-registers, i.e. logs off.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

rrpratt

Premium Subscriber
Actually, the subscriber does affiliate every time the talkgroup is changed. The term "affiliate" is often misused when discussing trunked systems, most notably to incorrectly describe subscriber registration.

When powered up, or if switched to a talkgroup from a conventional channel, or from another system, the radio registers, i.e. logs on to the system. Once registered successfully, the radio affiliates with the talkgroup, i.e. tells the system "Hey I'm on TG 1234". These two actions happen nearly simultaneously.

In the case of multi-site systems, the system is also aware of which site the radio registered at, and keeps track of that along with the affiliated talkgroup to ensure that the appropriate transmissions are carried at that site. If the radio roams to another site, it re-affiliates with the talkgroup, and the system makes sure that the talkgroup also follows the radio to the new site.

If the channel is changed to a different talkgroup, the radio transmits an affiliation request for the new talkgroup.

When powered off, or switched to a conventional channel, or to another system...the radio de-registers, i.e. logs off.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Yep. Completely understand. Registration and signature. In the old days of analog data it was handshake. RS and CS. Request to send and clear to send. I was in data telcom ally life.

rrpratt

Premium Subscriber
I noticed in the database another TGID added for Highway. Maybe that's what Policefreak sent in.
Also, tone testing this afternoon for Field Com 15......

rrpratt

Premium Subscriber
Thought I'd mention that the SDS100 is backordered in several houses. Spoke to a tech at Scanner Master today who recommended this unit very highly. Maybe one of you guys would talk me out of it. Otherwise, I'm on a list.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I'm partial to APXs, but that's just me lol *shrugs*

Yep, I'm gona need to update the gang here soon I suppose. I was kinda holding out to see if we are going dark, it appears that way.

It looks like dist 33 Mansfield twp and dist 40 Florence twp have made the move to TG 3104, encrypted.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Thought I'd mention that the SDS100 is backordered in several houses. Spoke to a tech at Scanner Master today who recommended this unit very highly. Maybe one of you guys would talk me out of it. Otherwise, I'm on a list.
The SDS series does a good job on the system within the county. I've traveled to quite a few places testing my SDS100 using the County Highway Dept patch channel. A better option may be the Unication G4/G5. You may be able to have alert and the Response channels on the same knob setting. I've programmed both the scanners and Unication for firehouses and personal use in many other counties that have similar systems to what Central is migrating to. And yes, I added the Highway Department patch channel to the database.

rrpratt

Premium Subscriber
I really appreciate the information on the Unication. Does it have the flexibility and capabilities in monitoring for example, Burlington County along with various VHF channels that I currently listen to? Not to mention I have the State Police set up on a different band on my Pro96 just for listening to REMS which would be the Air Medivacs.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So let's get reality-based here. The SDS series, it's going to work very well on the P2 simulcast tdma system.

If all you want is fire and EMS you're good to go. If you want to listen to the police the SDS won't work any better than an apx.
It's a real shame, other than listening to P1 when it's pertinent, I always listen to the Burlington- Bridge Commission talk group as I live on the other side of the Burlington-Bristol Bridge which is in Bristol Township PA territory.

They will never stop using their superior 60 year old 151.01 pl 127.3 simplex F-2 frequency which the police use 10x as much as they do the 500 megahertz type II smartzone system TG :).

rrpratt

Premium Subscriber
So let's get reality-based here. The SDS series, it's going to work very well on the P2 simulcast tdma system.

If all you want is fire and EMS you're good to go. If you want to listen to the police the SDS it won't work any better than an apx.
It's a real shame, other than listening to P1 when it's pertinent, I always listen to the Burlington- Bridge Commission talk group as I live on the other side of the Burlington-Bristol Bridge which is in Bristol Township PA territory.

They will never stop using their superior 60 year old 151.01 pl 127.3 simplex F-2 frequency which the police use 10x as much as they do the 500 megahertz type II smartzone system TG :).
Yeah I hear that!!! I listen to marine ch 13 for the bridge to ship. Both Burlington and Tacony Palmyra.

Status
Not open for further replies.