Burlington County P3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

Just bought a new laptop and Ive added a feed to the system. It is listed as Burlington County Channel 3 and will stream P3 (Westampton, Mount Holly, Eastampton and Lumberton PD's).

I am using a Uniden 396T (stock antenna)0 Acer Aspire 5732 Z and radio shack cables to make it all work.

I would like to scan the State Police A1-5 (Bellmawr 5 Comm) on this feed as well, but I am having trouble figuring out how to set up the priority scan. Ive followed the directions on a few websites and the manual but am still coming up short. Can anyone help with this? Also, is there any way to speed up the scan rate between the BurlCo TRS and the SP trunk system?? It is so slow on my end.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

robbinsj2

I can't help you with the priority scan question but I will suggest that you set up a stereo stream with one scanner dedicated to each trunked system, if you have ready access to a second scanner.

Every time a scanner switches to a trunked system it takes some time (maybe 1-2 seconds, depends upon the system type and scanner) to synchronize with the data stream. This is whether it is alternating between two or more trunked systems or between conventional and trunked.

I have a feed which is focused on one particular town which has a trunked system. I set it up as a stereo feed with one scanner wholly dedicated to that trunked system and another scanner monitoring a couple neighboring trunked systems plus a handful of conventional channels (paging, SPEN, county interop, etc.).

If you choose to create a stereo stream, search the wiki and Live Audio Forum for helpful info on parts you'll need, or let me know and I'll try to help you out.

As far as speeding up performance on a single scanner, I don't know the 396 but general tips would be to make sure dwell times are set to 0, you only program the control channels (and use CCOM), and the squelch is set above the floor. If any of these are set differently then you wouldn't necessarily hear a difference but they would slow scanning.

Jim

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The 396T doesn't do priority scan in trunked mode, only on conventional channels. You need the 396XT to do priority scan in trunked mode.

So to feed just P3 and 5-comm with the 396T you will have to scan each system with just P3 on the Burlco system and 5-comm on the NJSP system. You could probably get away with setting your system hold time for each at 1 second since you will only be scanning one TG per system. This should work pretty good.

BTW C3-05 area patrols borders P3 area, perhaps thats the 5-comm you want to feed? A1-05 covers more south of that area. Just FYI.

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Sky,

Is this possible......Can I set A1-5 as a priority and leave the scanner on P3 and the scanner checks A1-5 every couple of seconds and returns to P3 when the air is clear on 5?

I think Im just gonna have to dig my old old scanner......

Thanks!

Jeff

robbinsj2

Is this possible......Can I set A1-5 as a priority and leave the scanner on P3 and the scanner checks A1-5 every couple of seconds and returns to P3 when the air is clear on 5?

Set dwell/hold (this is different than delay) to 0 for NJSP and to 2 seconds for Burlington then scan normally, that will accomplish somewhat similar results to what you describe. The difference being the scanner won't leave traffic on either channel until the transmission ends. You can also check your per-channel delay settings, I guess you might want delay on for P3 and off for A1-5.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Sky,

I think Im just gonna have to dig my old old scanner......

Thanks!

Jeff

That won't work. There is no priority function at all in trunked mode on the 396T. You will have to scan both systems like mentioned above. It will work, just put a delay on each TG so you don't miss things but keep the system dwell time short. Or drag out your old scanner and do it that way. I use two old scanners for my feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.