Burlington PD requests Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

p3nt4g0n

Premium Subscriber
It seems like the chief of the Burlington PD is requesting from the city council the communications be secured from the general public. He is requesting over a million dollars to secure all radio communications. From what I hear the chief doesn't provide any evidence that it is a local problem, but says it is an issue of "officer safety." My opinion is that I don't mind narc, swat, etc. channels being enc., but general dispatch from PD/FD shouldn't be an issue. From scanning / recording the local system in Burlington, it seems they already have the capability to encrypt radios for the specialized channels on the Guilford system....

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Agree 100%

Just like I said before it is a way to screw the honest man out of a hobby.

David

Usually I don't reply to these, but the BS is outstanding.

Smythe said he had been “briefed on a number of specific circumstances in North Carolina and around the country where police officers’ lives have been significantly at risk due to actions of criminals with the intent to kill a police officer.”

“In an effort to protect Burlington police officers, we’re going to move to a secure environment where scanning isn’t possible,” Smythe said.

Hmmmm.... how can someone figure out where a police officer will be? There is no chance they can grab an old phone (that has to still call 911) and make a fake call that is guaranteed to bring officers to a certain location. That is what a killer would do because it gives them all of the advantages ahead of time.

He just wants to hide from the public the deeds (or misdeeds) his officers do.

The radios can easily be switched into an unencrypted mode, Harris said, which may be necessary when officers are working with other agencies.

“All they have to do is reach down to the side of their radio and flip a switch,” Harris said. “It’s not cumbersome at all.”

Ha....... hahaha The majority of public safety people are lucky to be able to switch zones (and back) on a modern radio without screwing it up.

“It’s going to be another 10 to 15 years, hopefully, before we have to purchase anything else,” Harris said of the radio system upgrade."

Once again....

HAHAHAHAhahahahahHAHA

Yeah... sure thing.

WA4MJF

Back when the State had encryption around 1980s on Aerotrons there was a mini toggle
switch, like the chief describes, on the lower left of the control head. One flipped the switch up
for inversion and down for normal. Never knew of anyone having trouble figuring it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.