Burning man 08 LTR system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshineandmonkeys

Premium Subscriber
So i see that Burning Man/BRC has an LTR system..... I thought they were on a UHF trunked system..guess not.

Anyone have any information on the talk groups for that system; I am headed back to the burn and would like to listen.

code3cowboy

LTR can be VHF UHF 800 or 900mhz. LTR is a form of trunking. Search around google and you will find some of what you are looking for.

Sunshineandmonkeys

Premium Subscriber
Thank you

for the basic review of LTR band possibilities; Perhaps I should have been more specific:

I see that there are two *UHF* LTR systems listed as being licensed to the Burning Man organization--one for 2008 (In Washoe County) and another for 2009 (In Pershing County)

I am specifically interested in monitoring them so as to listen at the 2010 burn.

Does anyone have information relating to talk groups for/on those systems and/or which system will be used in 2010?

Sunshineandmonkeys

Premium Subscriber
If you know the name of the license holder, or the lat/lon of the transmitter site, searching the fcc database might turn up what you are looking for.

License Search

I have researched this, but there is no FCC information regarding the talkgroups or which of the two listed systems would be used in 2010's burning....both of the systems are in the same area as the burn and licensed to entities connected to it.......thanks for the suggestion though!

com501

I am the Chief Engineer in charge of the entire BurningMan radio system. We change frequencies, channel orders, PL's, DPL's and talkgroups every year. Good luck!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Well, if the Burning Man Festival follows the route of digital photography, they might claim they own the airwaves as well.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Burning Man, No

COM501 just having fun in our hobby. No reason to be so terse!

So, you've encrypted digital signals? Interesting. As I indicated, I would not want to attend an event that controlled the environment so very much, including the digital radio system. I like to fully experience an event without so many restrictions on radio monitoring and digital photography. To me, it is like the organizers are laying claim to the parameters of their spot on this planet. I guess this is why they put out a DVD.

JoeyC

Yes, everyone knows that world leaders attend Burning Man and many of the worlds future policies are discussed there. Security measures at the event are of the highest priority and no shortcuts should be taken.

:roll:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Burning Man Project

Like the reported activities at Bohemian Grove, Burning Man depicts symbolism & civility, right? Since the city of Austin, Texas has contributed to this "happening", I might want to start a project of my own.

First of all, I am thinking of attaching 15 or 20 GRE PSR 500 radios to a likeness of Telsa. I might even leave several of the radios on Spectrum Sweeper to share in the experience. Perhaps, I might be lucky enough to capture the designated frequencies, encrypted of course.

So, if this event is all about sharing, leaving no trace and embracing civilization, why can't people be trusted to monitor radio frequencies? I suppose it is a propriety issue. I really don't know.

Perhaps, the person in charge of communication might want to enlighten me. Or, I might review the FCC data base to find the frequencies in question to show openness and personal freedom.

In my opinion, the encryption of frequencies represents man's tendency to impose order on organized chaos. But, then again, I have not attended this event, yet.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Hippies

When a person maintains a free continuous lifestyle they participated during the 60's, the hippies, they can be called such. I know of several of these individuals living in Austin, Texas. Otherwise, they should be called Neo-Hippies, right?

Still, I would love to be in the area to monitor various LE agencies. I bet it would be great.

Last edited:

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Justin.tv had a live video feed from Burning Man - camera was mounted up high and panning back and forth

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Burning Man: Digital Bondage?

So, Justin TV had a live television feed? Interesting. I would love to have a bird's eye view of this interesting festival. I happen to like fire, just like Beavis & Butthead.

Recently, I watched a Burning Man documentary on streaming Netflix. Afterward, I was even more intrigued.

Could this phenomenon exist outside of Nevada? I don't really know; however, I am reminded of the Wicker Man.

A & M University has hosted a similar burning, but after several people died, this has been significantly modified.

So, I am curious. We've already heard how digital LTR radios have been encrypted by a freedom-oriented organization. I have also read where Burning Man organizers have attempted to exert their influence over who owns the digital images.

But, in the aforementioned documentary, the video showed senior citizens visiting the site with small cameras in tow. Of course, the footage did not show any confiscation of photographic equipment. But, that does not mean this did not happen or whether lawsuits were filed.

Still, I hope to one day visit this esoteric landscape.

DWW

Status
Not open for further replies.