Burning man 08 LTR system

Status
Not open for further replies.

com501

The only restriction on photography is for commercial use. Amazingly, the rights are copyrighted by the organization.

Radio encryption is done for HIPAA and confidentiality reasons.

And its not LTR, its Trbo trunking, a whole different can of worms.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Bm

The only restriction on photography is for commercial use. Amazingly, the rights are copyrighted by the organization.

Radio encryption is done for HIPAA and confidentiality reasons.

And its not LTR, its Trbo trunking, a whole different can of worms.

Yes, I reviewed what I'd already read, months ago. Still, having co-ownership of a photograph is going a bit too far.

Since I have some experience dealing with HIPPA, I have yet another question. Tell me, how does BM differ from HIPPA usage when hospital districts & EMS throughout this nation manage to use radios and honor the stipulations of HIPPA. Hardly any EMS agencies are encrypted.

Most of the time, it goes like this, "ah, we have a 33-year old Caucasian male with a sinus rhythm of.......................I never hear names being called. Now, I suppose if you were to say, "we have an unknown gendered creature with flames shooting off his shoulders dressed in spherical representation of Pluto it might violate HIPPA laws.

Yes, I realize there is a difference between LTR and TRBO.

Please, forgive me, I am having a bit of fun making my point.

com501

We went encrypted because its free, and we got tired of wankers on scanner forums and the media posting about our operations. Now, also, we can talk about stuff on the radio we would have had to drive a few miles to discuss face to face.

And no, just common business sense to protect your confidential information.

Last edited:

com501

Burningman contracts with HGH, who operates a portable hospital at our event, including trauma, xray, minor surgery centers. They use our radio system. Next year we will have a CT on site also.

Burningman operates with field staff volunteers who in their real life are paramedics, EMTs, doctors and firefighters from all across the country. No one may operate one of Burningman's fire or EMS response vehicles unless they are current in certification and work in the emergency response arena.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Business

We went encrypted because its free, and we got tired of wankers on scanner forums and the media posting about our operations. Now, also, we can talk about stuff on the radio we would have had to drive a few miles to discuss face to face.

And no, just common business sense to protect your confidential information.

Interesting response. Now, please tell me why you are now participating in this forum? Would you call yourself a "co-wanker." Perhaps, this forum manifests some special meaning for you.

Yes, "business" is a good way to phrase it.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Bm & hippa

Burningman contracts with HGH, who operates a portable hospital at our event, including trauma, xray, minor surgery centers. They use our radio system. Next year we will have a CT on site also.

Burningman operates with field staff volunteers who in their real life are paramedics, EMTs, doctors and firefighters from all across the country. No one may operate one of Burningman's fire or EMS response vehicles unless they are current in certification and work in the emergency response arena.

Out of intense curiosity, I checked with someone who is actively involved in the emergency responder network in Austin, the 911 center there. For those who are unaware, Austin has one of the most sophisticated systems in the country. I asked this person, "how do you handle HIPPA over the radio?" Guess what this person said?

"Yes we are very HIPPA compliant. No personal info over the radio. Our laptops are encrypted. If you send an email with patient info in it you type PHI in the subject line and it's automatically encrypted before it's sent, etc."

It seems as though the only thing being encrypted is the emails sent with medical information.

So, freedom-seekers at BM, perhaps you could work on your esoteric vibe and release the vice you have over BM airwaves. In my opinion, the air is free.

Since you are on Federal Land, perhaps, the FCC might be interested in monitoring your transmissions at BM to insure compliance with HIPPA & other Federal laws.

I have been reading about the interest generated about BM within these forums. Funny, but I did not find a plethora of such postings. I did; however, see where someone was out of synch with the burning. This person ignited the "Man" before the grand climax.

Peace out.

DWW

IDCowboy1

CT scanners, X-Ray machines, man-made medicines, and all that rot at a hippie gathering. Are those radio-frequency and X-Ray radiating emitters environmentally friendly and certified green technology? I thought those were all tools of the "man" and give off bad vibes and ruin the cosmic karma of nature. It's truly amazing how quickly people change when it suits them. I guess that's why hippie and hypocrisy sound so similar. I'm sure this reply will be deleted since it's slightly off topic, but come on people, there's no need for all the "secrecy" when 99% of the public safety band isn't encrypted one iota. Let's be honest people, the only "business operations" you are trying to encrypt are the ones that you don't want the cops to hear about.

Last edited:

com501

Law enforcement gets radios on our system, so they can talk to us, and we have radios on their system for the same purpose. We operate a combined dispatch center PSAP with 4 consoles, so nothing is secret from LE.

I don't care what the narco guys talk about, they are encrypted also.

Sadly, due to the litiguous nature of our society, there will never be another Woodstock. A multi-million dollar event will protect itself, we just help with the radio side of it, like any other large event that exists, this one is run much the same way as the Olypics are run.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Federal Land

You know, I don't really know how much I would like that event given the presence of Federal officers and possible Homeland Security. Yes, I can see where some of the happenings might be grounds for Incident Command.

The last thing I would be interesting in seeing is someone getting Federal charges for recreational activity. I don't know how strict LE takes it out there. Perhaps, one day, I will visit whilst listening to regular LE radio traffic. I would imagine it would take a pretty organized crew to manage something like that. You seem to have this one sewed up.

com501

Many people are charged each year with Federal drug charges. Sadly, most people don't realize that on top of Nevada being a zero tolerance state for possession of narcotics, the event operates on Federal property, so its like lighting a doobie in the courthouse.

Also, in Nevada, you can be charged with a sex crime for peeing alongside the highway, and will be required to register for the rest of your life as a sex offender.

We are fairly conservative out here....

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Nevada's Heavy-handed Laws

Many people are charged each year with Federal drug charges. Sadly, most people don't realize that on top of Nevada being a zero tolerance state for possession of narcotics, the event operates on Federal property, so its like lighting a doobie in the courthouse.

Also, in Nevada, you can be charged with a sex crime for peeing alongside the highway, and will be required to register for the rest of your life as a sex offender.

We are fairly conservative out here....

Amazing. So, I am assume that LSD is one of the drugs of choice out there at this event. Are you sure this event is not sponsored by the DEA? It would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Sadly, I believe that most Texans have violated sex laws of some kind by urinating beneath the stars. It is a common practice here. I am sure that our wonderful governor Perry has wrestled his doggy on occasion.

I doubt I will be attending this event in the near future, but you never know.

Do they even allow police scanners inside?

Monaco

Premium Subscriber
Scanners are allowed at Burning Man. Firearms, fireworks, and commerce are not.

And with regards to the photography rules, they are the way they are to protect the citizens of Black Rock City just as much as the image of the event.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Fireworks No?

Scanners are allowed at Burning Man. Firearms, fireworks, and commerce are not.

And with regards to the photography rules, they are the way they are to protect the citizens of Black Rock City just as much as the image of the event.

As I once indicated, this event reminds me of the "Wicker Man."

I read about the photography issues. When I watched a Netflix Streaming video on this event, I was surprised to see Senior Citizens visiting from the local area. They were carrying cameras when they visited the event.

Monaco

Premium Subscriber
Well I saw both versions of the the movie Wicker Man and other than an effigy of a man being burned there are no other similarities. And the spontaneous theatrics at Burning Man are generally much better than what Nicholas Cage can deliver.

The EFF link that you provided is a bit harsh in its interpretation of Burning Man's photo policy. Everyone is free to take pictures at Burning Man for personal use. But if you are a commercial photographer with plans to make a coffee table book you need to register your intentions ahead of time and Burning Man gets to review your images and make sure that what you are presenting to the public is in the best interest of the event. Believe me there is not a big conspiracy of what really goes on at Burning Man vs. what the public gets to see. It's just that Burning Man as an organization goes through a lot of planning an effort to make the city a great place to be and when you enter the city as a "participant" you are paying to be there and part of that is agreeing to abide by the photography rules. But for 95% of the citizens it doesn't affect them at all unless someone was to publicly post something that caused the alarm to sound. A bit more insight Burning Man Responds to EFF over fair use and photo rights attack – Boing Boing

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Bm

Well I saw both versions of the the movie Wicker Man and other than an effigy of a man being burned there are no other similarities. And the spontaneous theatrics at Burning Man are generally much better than what Nicholas Cage can deliver.

The EFF link that you provided is a bit harsh in its interpretation of Burning Man's photo policy. Everyone is free to take pictures at Burning Man for personal use. But if you are a commercial photographer with plans to make a coffee table book you need to register your intentions ahead of time and Burning Man gets to review your images and make sure that what you are presenting to the public is in the best interest of the event. Believe me there is not a big conspiracy of what really goes on at Burning Man vs. what the public gets to see. It's just that Burning Man as an organization goes through a lot of planning an effort to make the city a great place to be and when you enter the city as a "participant" you are paying to be there and part of that is agreeing to abide by the photography rules. But for 95% of the citizens it doesn't affect them at all unless someone was to publicly post something that caused the alarm to sound. A bit more insight Burning Man Responds to EFF over fair use and photo rights attack – Boing Boing

I did not realize that someone even attempted to recreate the Wicker Man. Why remake a classic? For instance, nobody can come close to the menacing persona of Robert Mitchum in Cape Fear. With the exception of Wild At Heart, Nicholas Cage is a truly horrible actor.

I included the EFF hyperlink to illustrate my point since I recently read about it in the news. Photography can be a tricky undertaking with copyright laws. One day, perhaps, I will be able to sell my photographs.

But, I have learned some things about this medium. When I was attempting to take photographs in a local cemetery, I was stopped by the a cemetery association representative who questioned me about my intentions. He told me that I would have to obtain permission from the family to use my photographs in a book, etc. In today's digital world, there are many trails to follow. You do leave a trace. I know you have a motto about leaving no traces, but this might be an exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.