Burning Man Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

taholmes

Hi.

I have attended the Burning Man Festival in the Black Rock Desert for a number of years, and as you might guess, it creates a lot of interesting radio calls. :) It is a multi-jurisdictional event, so over the years I have compiled a list of frequencies that are used by:

1) The event infrastructure and support
2) Washoe, Pershing and Humbolt county EMS and PD
3) Nevada Highway Patrol
4) Bureau of Land Management

But my list is comprised only of those frequencies that I was lucky to find, and not a complete set, so I wondering if someone had a USD file(s) (my Uniden 396T will be my main scanner) for any of the above categories, or knows where I can find one.

Thanks.

baccaus

Looking for Burning man Freqs (get it! HA)

Hi Taholmes,

I was wondering if you OR ANYONE - can provide me w/ any frequency infomation for this yrs (or any burn.) I'm excited to monitor the traffic and participate this yr. I will be riding around w/ my bicycle blender making margs and smoothies out on the plya.

I see a few freqs from other yrs but am looking for any insight, lists, or suggestions.

Cheers!!
ps-I'm leaving this Sunday, but MAY be able to check email for a bit... Thanks in advance.

taholmes said:
Hi.

I have attended the Burning Man Festival in the Black Rock Desert for a number of years, and as you might guess, it creates a lot of interesting radio calls. :) It is a multi-jurisdictional event, so over the years I have compiled a list of frequencies that are used by:

1) The event infrastructure and support
2) Washoe, Pershing and Humbolt county EMS and PD
3) Nevada Highway Patrol
4) Bureau of Land Management

But my list is comprised only of those frequencies that I was lucky to find, and not a complete set, so I wondering if someone had a USD file(s) (my Uniden 396T will be my main scanner) for any of the above categories, or knows where I can find one.

Thanks.

sigint1

Was: joking
BLM and Pershing county are responsible for providing law enforcenment within the event - the command post will become active early Sunday morning - the CP wil have an Iridium Sat Phone for telephone contact - I would check any/all known BLM and Pershing county freqs. I havent heard anything about Washoe County dedicating a talkgrouip for the event - they will prpbably be involved in peripherial operatins on roads going up to the event. NHP will of course be around - last year they were very active on their Washoe County EDACS talkgroups - especially on the TAC channels. Also below is a link to FM broadcast freqs that are supposed to be active during the event - these are also interesting.

http://www.k-svert.com/freqs/

SCPD

QRT
The BLM requests help from other federal land management agencies such as the Forest Service and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. National Park Service rangers could be there as well. I've known some Forest Service LEO's who have worked the event. I would make sure to monitor the National Incident Radio Support Cache frequencies, most especially the tacticals as the entire event can probably be worked in simplex. Normally the command frequencies are used in portable repeaters and repeaters are probably not needed, but I would monitor them for awhile anyway just to make sure. The frequencies are listed in the Wiki at:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/National_Incident_Radio_Support_Cache

There are some ham radio repeaters in the area which might be used during the event: 147.390 on Toulon Peak, 441.700 on Fox Mountain, and 444.675 on Stratofox. There is a temporary repeater set up for the event also and the link to information on it can be found at:

http://www.burninghams.org/

It would be helpful after you return to post what frequencies you monitored at the event. I may want to check it out one of these years.

Last edited:

baccaus

Thanks!

Thank you all for the quick responses!! Amazing - I'm off to drive from S. Cal Sunday AM and after picking up friends in SAC will get in late Sunday/early Monday.

If I pull together my scanner equipment -I will surely report back.

Cheers!

SCPD

QRT
Program the National Incident Radio Support Cache logistical frequencies as well. Sometimes they are used for tactical and command on incidents.

NVJims

freqs

forget about the NIFC freqs... despite the name, this is not a fire incident. NIFC Thales/Racal radios are used by the BLM/LE as they can do digital encryption. Two repeaters are set up for this event, one strictly for LE and the other for general dispatch. I was the COML for five years for this incident, but have missed the last two years as I have switched agencies. Enjoy the event, especially the bicycle tour on Friday....

SCPD

QRT
I've used the NIFC frequencies on non-fire incidents during my career. They were even used for the Republican and Democratic national conventions. NVJims, are the repeaters the BLM sets up on a frequency that cannot be shared? Do they encrypt on the LE repeater and keep general dispatch in the clear? If so what is the frequency for dispatch?

I've heard about the bicycle ride, it is quite a challenge for other events to top it!

sigint1

Was: joking
Yes - it happened - a male subject from San Francisco allegedly set fire to it - he was arrested for arson and possession of illegal fireworks and was booked into Pershing County Jail - Officials at burning man state the 40 ft man will be rebuilt - Joe

Joe King
K7NNN
Reno NV

trooperdude

Database Admin
joking said:
Yes - it happened - a male subject from San Francisco allegedly set fire to it - he was arrested for arson and possession of illegal fireworks and was booked into Pershing County Jail - Officials at burning man state the 40 ft man will be rebuilt - Joe

Joe King
K7NNN
Reno NV

I'm still scratching my head at the arson charge for something that's DESIGNED to be burned. The whole EVENT revolves around the arson of "the burning man".

I guess only certain people can burn it and be legal.

Bizarre.

SCPD

QRT
trooperdude said:
I'm still scratching my head at the arson charge for something that's DESIGNED to be burned. The whole EVENT revolves around the arson of "the burning man".
It's a bit like someone igniting your entire fireworks stash on July 3rd. Those folks are very resourceful. They'll figure something out.

In fact ... looks like they have.

Last edited:

baccaus

Burning Man 07

Hi ALL!!

The Burn was amazing this year for me - even better than last year (which is hard to imagine!) I'm committed to it getting better each yr!!

Unfortunately I didn't even plug in my scanner this yr. I worked out at the airport (supervising) "border control" and "customs" WHAT FUN!!

Thanks for all of your support and I wanted to give you all a heads up. I plan to PLAN more in advance for the 08 burn and really get set up.

Cheers,
Baccaus

Attachments

• Burning Man 2007 077.jpg
    Burning Man 2007 077.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 2,732
  • Burning Man 2007 083.jpg
    Burning Man 2007 083.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,679
Last edited:

Mylan

Feed Provider
Glad to see you had a good time...... It sucks however, that sombody lit the man early and also that sombody else publicly hung themself.... Oh well..... Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.