burning man

Status
Not open for further replies.

com501

You are kidding right? 100 person town and the only big landowner now is BurningMan, and THEY are far too busy to broadcast a scanner feed of encrypted radio traffic. Even the event radios are fully encrypted. BLM and local LE on site, also. You could listen to the NHP feed but even that will be hit or miss since they are primarily using interop channels for any juicy traffic.

The event does have streaming video feeds of goings-on.

Station51

Very little radio traffic although there is a law enforcement presence. I was there about 3 years ago for work.

The live cam is here:

com501

The BM festival uses the largest rental radio system in the USA. I started the new radio system in 1998 and it continues to this day after my retirement. Under the current vendor the radio system uses the most advanced state-of-the-art Trbo radio system to provide public safety, fire, ambulance, public works and other services to the temporary city of 80k+ people and an airport with two parallel runways. BLM and local LE share a common dispatch center for coordination. Almost ALL comms are encrypted during the event with AES256 for PS and enhanced Trbo encryption for all other comms. If AES were available for Trbo in the USA like it is anywhere else on the globe, they would be using it.

rectanglehead808

Premium Subscriber
BLM/LE runs on a few channels out of the NEViFOG guide. mostly 167.2500 (LE6) with full encryption. Last year there were a few units unencrypted but nothing interesting to hear. This year, they were all encrypted.

Burningman runs encryption on a TRBO system. very few talkgroups are not encrypted. nothing interesting to hear and it kind of has its own language so if you have never been to a burn, you would be confused.

The rest of what you are going to hear in the area is people on murs and frs radios looking for each other on the playa. most of the time its just the ringtone on frs channels because nobody knows how to use a radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.