• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Business License Holder Interoperability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefire9

I've started a small radio accessory supply business and I'm still learning the ins and outs of business communications. I'd like to break into the radio market here in a while, as I have had multiple requests for personal units. I'm still learning the legalities of doing so, specifically for individuals who are employed by Business License Holders.

Let's say a guy works for ABC Well Servicing, who provides him a two way radio for use at work. He buys a Baofeng he wants to program to use in place of his work radio. ABC contracts to XYZ Pressure Pumping on a regular basis. He asks me if I can program his radio to talk to XYZ as well as ABC. I don't know where to begin looking for the legalities of this. I just need a direction to begin. I don't even know what to search! I'd love some input from the forum users with experience in this arena.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
We always required a letter on business letterhead of the licensee stating it was ok to program XYZ contractor on their frequencies until further notice. We required a renewal letter each year, so it was a little cumbersome. But, in the oilfield, there were hundreds and hundreds of contractors, subcontractors, and sub-subcontractors. It was nuts. TT

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
In addition to the licensing requirement... make sure that the radios you are selling are actually legal for use in the US. A lot of cheap Chinese radios have the FCC logo on the back of them that does not mean anything. I've asked them about type acceptance while at the IWCE shows and they point me to the FCC logo. The radios do not have a FCC ID number on the back of them in most cases. If they don't have the number on the label, they are not legal to import, sell, or use in the United States. Hundreds of thousands of cheap Chinese radios that are not type accepted (illegal) and have very loose operating specifications have made it into this country.

I've also noticed that the cheap Chinese radio products have been a trap for a lot of dealers trying to compete with online sales. I've seen a few brick and mortar dealers who have started selling those radios to compete with cheap radios online only to end up going out of business because there is no margin to support business operations unless the volume is ridiculously high (1000+ units/month). After all, the purpose of being in business is to make a little money.

byndhlptom

per your example.... and implied in TampaTyron's response

You should not program either of the two frequencies (for TX) with out permission of the licensee's (ABC & XYZ). They are responsible for FCC compliance in order to keep their licenses valid. I also believe that the FCC has restrictions on radio shops/dealers that require them to confirm license's before programming radios.... may just be good business practice....

$.02

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Let's say a guy works for ABC Well Servicing, who provides him a two way radio for use at work. He buys a Baofeng he wants to program to use in place of his work radio. ABC contracts to XYZ Pressure Pumping on a regular basis. He asks me if I can program his radio to talk to XYZ as well as ABC.
In addition to the afore mentioned licensing and type acceptance issues, the guy who wants the interopperable radio programming would need to provide a radio that's compatible with both ABC and XYZ systems in terms of frequencies and modulation. AND both ABC and XYZ would need to have sufficient "extra" unit allocations on their licenses to allow for the addition of another radio.

In addition to the authorization letters, you would do well to check the FCC ULS for he license information yourself.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

(b) Except for frequencies used in accordance with §90.417, no person shall program into a transmitter frequencies for which the licensee using the transmitter is not authorized.

I was searching everywhere for that one. I knew I had seen it before. I use it to justify to customers that we will not program frequencies that they are not licensed or authorized in writing to transmit on.

Status
Not open for further replies.