• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Business use of FRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech1

The local supermarket where I shop is using FRS radios. There used by some of the employees for collecting shopping carts and other misc. functions.

NC1

That is fairly common. I hear all sorts of businesses using GMRS from time to time also.

I highly doubt that either of those will draw any attention from the FCC even after someone complains. There is a far better chance of being hit by lightning than being hassled for any of that.

Sporrt

The local supermarket where I shop is using FRS radios. There used by some of the employees for collecting shopping carts and other misc. functions.

'FRS is licensed by rule. This means an individual license is not required to operate an FRS radio provide you comply with the rules. You may operate an FRS radio regardless of your age, and for personal or for business use if you are not a representative of a foreign government.'

https://www.fcc.gov/general/family-radio-service-frs

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
FRS

How many times does this topic have to be repeated for the same simple answer? It is amazing how many are too lazy to do a simple Google or search the RR database.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
How many times does this topic have to be repeated for the same simple answer? It is amazing how many are too lazy to do a simple Google or search the RR database.

Wondered the same. By the way, that was your 1000th post - congrats on that milestone!

KB0VWG

The grocery store is no big deal really but i have heard a doctors office use them and that is a issue, Especially if they broadcast a customers medical or SS# info over the air. Thats a major HIPA issue. Just glad I dont go to that doctor.
Even though I read in the rules that frs is not supposed to be used for business.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There is nothing the the Part 95 rules that would prevent a business from using FRS radios for their business.

By design FRS was intended to be a short range radio service. With 1/2 watt, very inefficient antennas, and 14 channels to choose from, all you have to do is find a different channel if they are causing interference to you.

Tech1

I was just making an observation, I didn't expect everyone to jump down my throat. I am aware of the uses of a FRS-GMRS radio I own 2 of them and have I have a GMRS License.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And I could observe that the neighbor's cat peed on my car. Why bring up such trivialities unless you're trying to make a point, or trying to find out the legalities?

Hans13

I think I understand your initial post, Tech1. You found it interesting that they were using the service and passed the information along; perhaps as a conversation starter.

A couple of weeks ago, I heard a local crane crew using FRS and I thought it was interesting. I've heard some road crews this summer using them for traffic control. In the 1990's, we heard our local law enforcement using FRS during a drug raid. All interesting stuff. Most adorable was just a few nights ago. Some local kids apparently got some FRS radios and we're playing games and made radio traffic part of it. It took me back to when I was a kid playing with CB walkie talkies. Awesome.

As on the air, just ignore the grumps online. ;)

n5ims

How do I delete my original post ?

You can't directly delete it. What you can do is click the "Report Post" icon (that red triangle with the ! in the center in the upper right corner of every post) and request it along with making your case to the admins as to why it should be deleted. They will do so under very strict circumstances so don't count on this happening just because you request it, but to have a chance you'll need to justify it very well to them.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
There should be a way for people to delete posts.

The forum software just doesn't allow for that so clicking the triangle to report it is the only way to request it. Since it's a thread that you started I suspect they'll have no problem deleting it if you really want them to.

mformby

Consumers wanted frequencies that they could use without business/commercial/industrial interference so the FCC created the Family Radio Service (FRS). Originally this was not for business use but as time went on and the cheap price was too enticing it got out of control so the FCC gave in and included business use.

prc117f

You have parents with kids using APX 8000's loaded with crypto keys on FRS I seriously doubt they are gonna send a team to shut down the supermarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.