• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

But I thought.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chev_am

Do you ever get that when you're telling friends about a scanner? "Hey I just got this Police Scanner" Friend:" Cool, so what do you talk about to the cops?" You: "You can't talk to the police" Friend: "But I thought that you could talk to police with a scanner?" "Why can't you"?

Anyone ever get conversations like this with friends that don't know about scanners?

car2back

I get questions like that sometimes; the best is explaining to my officer friends that "Yes, I CAN hear you on that fancy 800 system that Motorola told you no one could monitor" :lol: "

KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
All the time...it is either that or they call it a "CB"...please just because you saw "Smokey and the Bandit" does not mean that any police depts talk on CB<rolling eyes>

USAPatriot

Do you know I actually heard a lady calling a guy "good buddy" today? It wasn't on a CB freq either. Probably a trucking company dispatcher, something along those lines. -Rod-

cristisphoto

USAPatriot said:
Do you know I actually heard a lady calling a guy "good buddy" today? It wasn't on a CB freq either. Probably a trucking company dispatcher, something along those lines. -Rod-
Noit to sound Hateful but my adopted Dad /Bilogical Grandfather
whomedid trucking before becoming a Police Officer informed me as kid to
NEVER use GOOD Buddy!!!
As it is sexual in nature...
AND if two guys used it they were probaly Queer....:roll:

Crista
HEy Im queer so I aint hatin
Jyst FYI

N4CYA

I always get this question mentioned to me alots of times...Why do you need a police scanner are you a police officer? Im like no, but I like to listen on what goes in my area and the scanner could save your life!

landonjensen

i get it all the time

Do you ever get that when you're telling friends about a scanner? "Hey I just got this Police Scanner" Friend:" Cool, so what do you talk about to the cops?" You: "You can't talk to the police" Friend: "But I thought that you could talk to police with a scanner?" "Why can't you"?

MaxMan1986

Someone once asked me "who do you talk to on that thing?" I explained that a scanner was only for listening and he understood. People have also occasionally asked me "where the heck did you get that thing?" or "isn't that illegal?" ::)

K3GI

Premium Subscriber
1) It's a SCANNER! Calling it a "police scanner" is a big mistake in my opinion. Some unsophisticated, uneductated, ignorant people think scanners are for listening to police only. There is so much more out there to listen to other than routine, mostly boring police communications.

2) There are some unsophisticated, uneductated, ignorant people who think all two-way radios are CB's.

3) "Good buddy" is CB slang for a homosexual.

4) A lot of people--not all of them unsophisticated, uneductated, and ignorant--think a GPS transmits your position to the government.

Lee, K3GI

Last edited:

Comint

Database Admin
K3GI said:
1) It's a SCANNER! Calling it a "police scanner" is a big mistake in my opinion. Some unsophisticated, uneductated, ignorant people think scanners are for listening to police only. There is so much more out there to listen to other than routine, mostly boring police communications.

Lee, K3GI
Probably better off referring to it as a RADIO SCANNER.

Do a Google search on 'scanner' and see how many hits you get that have absolutely nothing to do with radio frequencies, ie., document scanners, barcode scanners, biometric scanners, etc, etc. No wonder the average person is confused.

Comint

Last edited:

GM

Premium Subscriber
How about my new response to people: AM/FM radio. Can I listen "to the game" with it: most likely no, since most of the broadcast games in my area operate on AM in a frequency band not covered by the BC296D. This always clears up any misconception(s).

Astrak

The most common question I got was "can you talk to the police on that thing?" My reply would be "yes I tell them everything I know about good donut shops."

cellblock776

Astrak said:
The most common question I got was "can you talk to the police on that thing?" My reply would be "yes I tell them everything I know about good donut shops."
Next time point to their ipod and ask if they can talk to Justin Timberlake on it. ;)

Chev_am

I generally refer to it as either a Police Scanner or a Radio Scanner. I don't think anyone just listens to the police on it. Either way when I show my friends, they always look for the talk button.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi guys,

OK, the general public is a bunch of ignorant slobs but more importantly "Hollywood" has been capitalizing on it for years. Very few prop masters bother to assemble an accurate resemblance of radio equipment when any collection of old "electronical boxes" will do. Don't blame Sheriff Wazizname in Smokey and the Bandit or John Coltrane in Dukes for using CB sets when Sheriff Andy Taylor (Griffith) used an Icom 720 ham transmitter (CW only) and no receiver in sight. No, wait a minute, he never used it, Sarah had to call around looking for him. NOW I remember, there wasn't an antenna on the car, no antenna, no radio. (;->)

I have seen receivers with microphones plugged in the headphone jack and test equipment passing for radios, even Leslie Nielsen as the captain of a space ship (Forbidden Planet) talking into a D-104 that had no cord let alone not plugged in. Well, I'll excuse science fiction BUT when a guy talks to his father across time (Frequency) using ham radio and the door is plastered with CB QSL cards, well, I give up.

The point is you can't blame a guy who doesn't know an iPod from a place to poo for not knowing anything about radio, he just might have a PhD in applied psychology and he's monkeying with your mind.

Now ask yourself, what is Warren up to THIS time? (Monsters Jim, monsters from the id!)

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
phil_smith said:
I get questions like that sometimes; the best is explaining to my officer friends that "Yes, I CAN hear you on that fancy 800 system that Motorola told you no one could monitor" :lol: "
Yeah.. I love that one too... except mine was with a dispatcher i know

cristisphoto

phil_smith said:
ROTF LMAO!!! :lol: :lol:

you rock Crista!
Why thanks LOL

Yeah I get the SO can you talk to the Police now LOL
And NO it sNOt just PD one often listens too
It The Coast Guard
Caltrains
Amtrak, SF Muni,
BART !!!!
Actually I can go on FOREVER,
as a have 65 systems programmed in my BCD396T
and that with Some combined Like the Santa Clara Sheriffs
and SAn Jose PD being on one System yet Different groups within said system..
SOOOO
Yeah it Cool hobby..
The Information is out there you just have to go out and find it..
As we DO live in a" Hollywierd" types society that think 24 and CSI is how it really works...
Anyways
Warmest Regards to all
Crista

car2back

"Lemme have uh diablo sandwich, uh Dr. Pepper, n make it fast, I'm n uh G*** damn hurry!"
You mean Sheriff Buford T. Justice of Portague County, TX kb2vxa? :lol: That's one of my all time favorite movies! I love the idea of cops talking to their pursuees' on the Chicken Band: wouldn't that make things much easier? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.