Butel Software For The Uniden BCD 436 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Have a new Uniden BCD 436.

Just wondering if a lot of you folks use the Butel software for it ?

It's a bit pricey, and was wondering if it would make things a lot
easier for me ?

Or, does the Sentinel software do most everything, and the Butel really
doesn't offer that much more in ease ?

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
B.

marksmith

Not familiar with the Butel software, but I have not found anything of consequence I cannot do with Sentinel, plus you will have to use Sentinel for database and firmware updates.

Might as well start with the free software that is made specifically for the radio by the manufacturer. If you need more, then go from there.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
You can customize your favorites easier, add the LED lights easier, filter unwanted talk groups, there's a lot you can do with butel that you have a hard time doing in sentinel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rwier

Not familiar with the Butel software, but I have not found anything of consequence I cannot do with Sentinel, plus you will have to use Sentinel for database and firmware updates.

Might as well start with the free software that is made specifically for the radio by the manufacturer. If you need more, then go from there.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

Same here.

rwier

You can customize your favorites easier, add the LED lights easier, filter unwanted talk groups, there's a lot you can do with butel that you have a hard time doing in sentinel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

" ... add the LED lights easier ... "

I wonder if you could expound on that a little?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I use both Sentinel and ARC536 Pro. The main workhorse is Sentinel.

ARC allows me to "pretty up" Favorites Lists with alpha tag justification and capitalization. I mostly use ARC for virtual control and logging.

ARC has some bulk edit features I'll use infrequently.

ARC is a nice "extra" program if you need additonal things mentioned above. Sentinel is a "gotta have" program to keep the full database and firmware updated in the scanner.

For me dealing with LED light colors is just as easy in Sentinel as ARC with copying and pasting.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
" ... add the LED lights easier ... "

I wonder if you could expound on that a little?

in the last version of ARCX36 you can set filters on the Radio Reference download and specify the LED colors and alerts based on service type

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/fb708b6e3ddcd444580a09118b81edcb.png
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/38278b6948c8a137a585984719df0119.png
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/2caa62310fbc4181e4cae01677fb17e2.png
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/ad7449db28cf2f54299138543e7e6dc4.png

madmarto

I agree about PROSCAN, use it all the time for my 396, but it doesn't support the 436 does it? If it does its an update I don't have yet

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

rwier

I agree about PROSCAN, use it all the time for my 396, but it doesn't support the 436 does it? If it does its an update I don't have yet

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Like buddrousa said, very limited. No loading, editing, or saving of FLs. No reading from or writing to the scanner.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I also use ARC536PRO for my 436HP and 536HP, usually for virtual control and for some bulk editing features that I can't find in Sentinel. I also use ProScan, which is great overall, but still lacks data base feature for x36HPs.
For example, if I download all the ZLA ARTCC, SoCal TRACON stations with ARC, I can adjust more parameters in bulk than I can with Sentinel, the way Sentinel has them organized. But frankly, you can still do a lot with Sentinel, and for most users, may be all you need. If you are into remote control, ProScan the way to go.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I just checked to see if I was indeed correct about adjusting more parameters in bulk for ZLA and SoCal Tracon. Actually data is presented similarly from database in ARC and Sentinel. So maybe not such an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.