Butel vs eSPYonARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince64

Frankly speaking:
Butel is a nightmare to use
eSPYonARD is not better as the Owner if focussing on Q without any considérations about the basic features such as Memory scans and basic searchs.
Due to this (at our office) we are now in process to developp our own application.
eSPYonARD owner doesn't want to consider basic features....
More simple and more KISS.
Have a good luck with your Butel!!
Cheers

G7HID

Frankly speaking:
eSPYonARD is not better as the Owner if focussing on Q without any considérations about the basic features such as Memory scans and basic searchs.
Due to this (at our office) we are now in process to developp our own application.
Cheers
Vince64 I must take issue with your frank reply, as a user of eSPYonARD I must point out that the program has both search and memory scanning features, these work well and have been present since I first used it, and as far as I know from the first version published. These are the search and scan features as described in the AOR manual.

The 'Q' features are a work in progress and are developed as an addition to eSPYonARD rather than as a replacement for other features..

In your country the problem is not eSPYonARD but the French translation of the user manual by AOR France that accompanies eSPYonARD Lite, the translator seems to brush over what he does not technically understand, leaving gaps in the manual..

When eSPYonARD is first run you are presented with a graphic representation of the basic AR-DV1 front panel controls, this is the basic simple mode, from here you can keep it simple or make use of the additional advanced features - the choice is yours..

May I ask who or what is your "Office" ??

Mike

G7HID

Mike I understand your reasons for moving the posts but I think you might have removed the option for Butel being able to reply to a comment about his software.. now that the comment is in another (perceived) producers thread..

Mike

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've changed the title so the thread has more visibility to Gommert.

However, a discussion over the merits of Butel's software in a thread where Gommert is supplying tech support isn't right. A new thread should have been created.

Carry on.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I agree

Mike I understand your reasons for moving the posts but I think you might have removed the option for Butel being able to reply to a comment about his software.. now that the comment is in another (perceived) producers thread..

Mike

I am not going to reply to the 'other' comment about eSPYonARD. Users know the truth, and will decide for themselves how untrue they are.

However I do agree with G7HID's remark regarding Butel's very sensible reply on the original thread.

I want to make this clear. I know and have always said that Butel makes fine software, and Vince64's remarks in no way reflects my opinion.

As others have explained. eSPYonARD and Butel programs for the AR-DV1 take very different approaches.

Some will prefer one, some the other, and many both, depending on what extra functions they want to use at the time, and their very different interfaces / capabilities.

It is matter of individual choice, as it should be, and in several ways the programs compliment each other. I have many customers who have both programs, and use whichever one suits their needs at the time.

Both programs offer free trials, which is excellent for the customer. If anyone is unsure and only wants one program, then try them both and see.

I am not at all worried about defending Butel software. That is the kind of person I am. Anyone contemplating buying software for the AR-DV1 should try Butel and eSPYonARD. Both have different things to offer.

Nuff said................

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
PRICING - WHY?

I received an email today from someone considering software fro the AR-DV1 and asking why, if as advertised, it did so much, there was such a price difference.

Others have asked me this over the last few months so I thought it best to explain.

The answer is simple. I have few overheads, and pass this on in the price, despite the software taking many thousands of hours to produce. Almost all my time has been devoted to eSPYonARD, although 'Q' is now also available for the latest Whistler scanners.

Until a few weeks ago eSPYonARD was purely a program to control the AR-DV1, but with the unique additions of 'Q' and 'Q-DB' it is now a very powerful frequency acquisition program too. Indeed no other program has ever achieved this level of super fast frequency importation with almost instant use on a radio.

Also working from home is one reason I can give 7/7 support, often up to 16 hours a day, unlimited free updates, can concentrate on eSPYonARD and have managed to add so many new features since the first version, but still keep the price low.

A lot of my motivation to continue all this work has been driven by the support I have had from this Forum, and a wish to give those supporting me a level of quality that reflects that. Taking just two of the eSPYonARD threads, they have generated over 21,000 views since February 2016.

Once again I want to thank all those involved in running the Forum and the Members.

Cost is not a measure of quality, it is your informed judgement which will decide that.

Sorry to repeat myself, but both programs offer free trials, so just take advantage of that and try them for yourself. I certainly have reason to believe BOTH are 'quality' software in their very different ways, as I set out in the post above.

MStep

Frankly speaking:
Cheers

Hi VInce64 and all---

I have been using eSPYonARD since it's early inception, and I can tell you that it certainly does do memory scans and basic searches, providing of course, that you spend the time to learn the proper operation of the program. In fact, memory scan and search functions were some of the very first features of the program. "Q" is only the latest in a long line of developments that have been incorporated since the program's introduction.

I am very happy to hear that you are in the process of developing your own application for the DV1, and I hope that like both Butel and eSPY, you make a program that will be available to us other DV1 users as well--- I always encourage folks to continue to work on programs with features and functions that will enhance the operation of this great receiver.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

deiraq

Not sure what Vince64 means by " using the new the frog thigh eater software"? (-:

Some of the notes on the webpage for the DV1 Manager programme seem puzzling to me, eg the links to the computer needed by other software are slow whilst the radio is not. Perhaps it's me misunderstanding the French language but any programme (including DV1 Manager) on a PC is going to have to pass information to and from the computer hard disk and memory . . . it can't run on the radio itself without the PC.

I have tried both Butel and eSPYonARD and much prefer the latter. As MStep says above it has many user friendly functions and it is continuously updated too.

Vince64

"the frog thigh eater software" I was talking about the french men. As french are most of the time considered as "frog thigh eater " ! ah ah ah !!

"whilst the radio is not", yes ! All other software I tested are "reading/writing" dedicated files on HDD prior to discussing with the DV1. What ever the software you are using more you have to discuss between Files/HDD and DV1 more you increase the time of data transfert. DV1 Manager is based only on DV1 resources. No extrat resources except XLS files you can decide to create by your side.

The core problem french guys are occuring with eSPYonARD is this software is too much English way of life and hard to follow. Also the visual aspect of the eSPYonARD MMI interface is ..........
The french user manual made by eSPYonARD author is "little ******" (french old expression to say: very bad translation)
For sure, it's up to you ! All tastes are in nature.

But DV1 Manager is KISS. Not others.

Who knows why eSPYonARD is no longer on AOR France web site?

deiraq

Vince 64 -

OK, you like DV1 Manager and frog eating thighs, I prefer eSPYonARD.

You ask "Who knows why eSPYonARD is no longer on AOR France web site?"

But you have aleady posted this question today on another thread in this forum and Marlbrook replied to you in full -

"Sorry, no problems with eSPYonARD,

This matter concerns obtaining an up to date translation of the French Pro-Lite manual they produce, so it can be included in the latest version of the program, which means their program on their Site was way out of date.

It was decided not to make the 'out of date' Pro-Lite available at AOR-FRANCE unless that problem could be resolved.

In the meantime the latest Pro-Lite with a machine translated French manual is available from www.espyonard.com, should there be people running that software, I provided that out of courtesy to them.

As usual the latest free Trial PRO software, with English manual is there too.

Pro-Lite activation codes were only obtainable from AOR-FRANCE, which they obtained from me, and the trial PRO software is identical anyway in operation.

Of course I know why you posted the above. As regular readers of this thread will know I never tried to 'rubbish' other AR-DV1 software, either directly or 'covertly'. Quite the contrary. Most people can usually 'read between the lines', and hopefully appreciate the way I behave in that respect, and draw their own conclusions re. the motives of others."

deiraq

I've only had my DV1 for a couple of weeks but have found it a much more versatile and useful piece of apparatus when controlling it with the espyonard programme. It provides so much more functionality that AOR could have provided in the DV1 itself. Really pleased that I bought both, so much to listen to in sunny Gib.

MeredithZB

Curious so about this new long promised DV1 Manager programme for the AOR DV1 in French. The website has been saying for a long time that it is not yet available. As there is already two good programmes of Butel Gommert and Marlbrook eSPYonARD what will there be in third new programme that not already be there in two existing softwares? Does anyone know. Has anyone used it. Why another software, what is the USP.

Vince64

Curious so about this new long promised DV1 Manager programme for the AOR DV1 in French. The website has been saying for a long time that it is not yet available. As there is already two good programmes of Butel Gommert and Marlbrook eSPYonARD what will there be in third new programme that not already be there in two existing softwares? Does anyone know. Has anyone used it. Why another software, what is the USP.

Hi Sir,
Just for your information, the DV1 Manager will be a very new KISS software

F5HPE

FYI, I'm the author for DV1 Manager.
My Software has no intention to fight others.
DV1 Manager wants to be a software for dummys.
Easy to install, easy to use.
On today, only my relevant beta tester are playing with .
I expect to make it daowloadable soon.

What do you mean by USP? I'm not familar with US acronym.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Morning

FYI, I'm the author for DV1 Manager.
My Software has no intention to fight others.
DV1 Manager wants to be a software for dummys.
Easy to install, easy to use.
On today, only my relevant beta tester are playing with .
I expect to make it daowloadable soon.

What do you mean by USP? I'm not familar with US acronym.

USP stands for 'Unique Selling Point'.

I am very pleased to read your other comments, as a fellow programmer I imagined you would be a man of integrity and not condone these recent, unfortunate posts on this and other threads.

I wish you every success with your program.

------------------

"Handsome is as Handsome does" - very old British saying

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.