BC125AT: Buttons no longer function beside power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vionas

I was using my BC125AT Scanner yesterday and by the end of the day, I ended up with this constant static sound inbetween transmissions and the buttons did not work besides the PWR button. Any idea what could be going on? I saw for another Uniden system that there may be a connector that comes loose, but I didn't really want to open up the scanner to see if thats the case here as well.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
You say “by the end of the day... try fresh batteries or plug in the charger would be my first try. The cable that’s talked about could be the ribbon cable that connects to the keypad from the circuit board. There could be one for the keypad and another for the display. These cables are of the push on, pull off variety. If you do investigate the connectors at each end of the ribbon cables, they may look ok. But exercise them by gently pulling them off and pushing them back on. Do this at both ends of the cable. Then button up the radio and see if that clears up your problem. If not, it’s time to send it in for repairs. If you think the scanner is too old, where repairing it isn’t worth the money, or you just need an excuse to get that newer scanner, put the repair money towards a new toy.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Have you adjusted the squelch even accidentally possibly? If it's turned down too low that could be causing your static between transmissions you're hearing. And did you accidentally turn on the key lock where the keypad doesn't function? It would still allow you to turn the radio off and back on.

I'm not familiar with the ribbon cable issue but it looks like that was described by another member. The two things I mentioned are the two things at first come to mind when I think about my 125AT. And I do think that I accidentally turned on my keypad lock one time myself.

I use my BC125AT for military aviation frequencies and just a couple of local business frequencies. I don't have a need for the new SR30 or whatever the model number scanner is since they took the military aviation band out of it. But other people might not have a problem with that? Where I live, the only thing the 125AT would be good for is some of the local business, military aviation, ham radio, or maybe something like railroad frequencies monitoring since everything else is digital trunk radio around here. But my 125AT works perfect for what I use it for.

I hope you get yours working and if you do find out what's going on with it I'd be interested in knowing. Please post a reply if you get it figured out...

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Vionas

To answer some of the responses, I have replaced the batteries and do not have the keypad locked out. The static issue was due to the squelch, thanks letarotor! Unfortunately, the keypad issue isn't really resolving. It seems I'm getting phantom key presses, most frequently from the function key, which is most likely why the squelch issue occurred in the first place. I've gone ahead and reseated everything that I could without breaking anything, and the buttons seems to be functioning a lot better at the moment, atleast.

I was using this while flagging at a race track this weekend (Road America!) and got caught out by rain, so if anything that's probably the culprit and I should have mentioned that. Sorry I didn't fully include all the variables in my original post, and thank you all for your help!

tvengr

Well Known Member
If the scanner got wet, there is a good chance of corrosion on the circuit board. The corrosion is conductive and can cause issues like phantom key presses. I suggest that you wipe the circuit board with alcohol to remove corrosion and see if that fixes the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.