• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Buy a Dell...Burn in Hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llwellyn

Ah yes, the ages old chemical reaction of Li + H20 = giant exothermic energy release. They should have tested these things a bit more before releasing them to the general public... I'm betting those were using the newer Lithium Polymer batteries too... extremely volatile (read: explosive) when breached and exposed to even minimal humidity levels. Apparently, these batteries do not have a rugged enough inner and outer shell to prevent the water from reaching the lithium... a side effect no doubt of trying to get the most bang for the buck (no pun intended) out of the smallest amount of battery space.

I think, if we see too many more of these major battery explosions, that we'll end up taking a step backward in battery technology until we can find out how to stop them from becoming bombs.

On that note, did anyone see the Tesla sports car? It uses something like 500+ of these LiPoly or LiIon batteries... it'll be like driving a bomb around!

Another problem is trying to extinguish a lithium fire once it gets started... once it reaches a certain temperature, it actually can start stripping the oxygen right out of water adding fuel to the fire... it requires a serious amount foam to put out if you have any in a large quantity... assuming it doesn't cook off the foam faster than you can put it on there.

Last edited:

I_10_92

Haha, thats crazy. One crazy possible lawsuit though... Just be safe out there kids, stay away from the Dells. They'll burn ya!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I don't know which is worse.

A.Having to talk to Dell tech support in a third world country, when their only solutions are 1. reboot. or 2. reformat the hard drive (and reps try to convince the end user they won't lose their data).
or
B. Having that sucker spontaneously combust. At least that nails down it really was a hardware issue. :wink:

MacombMonitor

In my previous thread, in another incident, Dell admitted it was actually a defect in the motherboard that caused the problem, and not the battery. I think too often the battery gets blamed, which is convenient because they don't manufacture them. Which is another way of saying, "Our laptop is OK, it was the battery!"

[see older article]
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550

Many of these new batteries can deliver extremely high amounts of current for a brief period of time. So any kind of short in the laptop could trigger such an event, in which case the battery is just doing it's job...trying to meet the demand. You would think they'd have some type of current limiting device, as well as a thermal shutdown...not melt down!

To be fair, it's not just Dell. I have seen a many HP/Compaq laptops do the same thing.

As others have pointed out, what it this were to happen on a plane!

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Come on now dudes. Dell makes a decent computer and are the largest in the market. Just because you see a couple pictures of some notebook's bum battery doesn't mean the comp. is a piece. Yes the sales, support reps. are hard to understand, but that doesn't effect what kind of computer you buy.

BTW~ Notebooks are made over seas.

Status
Not open for further replies.