buy a GRE-PSR-800 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyR3

Considering the GRE PSR 800 as new scanner. Been a while since buying a new one (1986?) Old Uniden 100xl and a BC 150 which both still work well but as you know lacking 800mhz and trunking. So my question do ya'll recomend this unit as one of the best? PC savvy so I should be able to figure out the programming with some frustration I'm sure.

Thanks in advance!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Welcome to Radioreference and into advanced scanning, MyR2. While the PSR-800 is the latest and greatest fro GRE, it's never an easy question to answer, but I would also suggest asking this question in the New User / Getting Started Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

Also check out the various Wiki entries to compare models that you may be interested in.
Both Analog and Digital capable scanners are available with 800MHz bands as you may already know.

Category Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki
Category:Analog Trunktrackers - The RadioReference Wiki

Do you homework before the purchase, and don't forget to look at the used market in case you want to go in slow.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
I lurked here for years. After buying an 800, I joined. After buying the 800 and finding out how easy and fun scanning can be, I bought 4 more GRE radios. The days of having a paperweight till you figure things out are over.

jackj

BeerNutz has it right. I had my 800 programed and scanning about 5 minutes after it arrived. I can't say the same for the Uniden 996T I have, that one took me several weeks to figure out. You don't have to tell this scanner anything except what agencies you want to scan, it already know how to pick them up. You'll be happy with it.

SD70MAC

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.3; en-us; Droid Build/FRK76) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I was the same way, I had not had a scanner since the early 90's. I Love my PSR 800 it is very easy to program via the PC . The only 2 down sides I have with it is the battery life and It's no good at all in railroad band, but I have my Motorola's for that.

Swipesy

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.3; en-us; Droid Build/FRK76) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The only 2 down sides I have with it is the battery life and It's no good at all in railroad band, but I have my Motorola's for that.

The PSR 500 also is no good in the railroad band. My Yaesu VX-170 runs circles around the 500.

MyR3

Gre psr 800

Thanks for the all of the information, guidance and links. After reviewing and looking the PSR 500, PSR 800 and HP1 specs and user comments (including YouTube videos of 800 and HP1) I decided on the PSR 800. I ordered it Wednesday and should have it early next week.

Cheers & thanks to you all,
MyR3
100XL & BC150

Status
Not open for further replies.