BUY a new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Like others have said, the only caveat will be simulcast issues. If you travel with the scanner, you can expect problems. Otherwise, you'll be fine.

wtp

i think he wants reasons for our choices.
i have older base stations, but now i lean toward handheld.
if the power goes out i have battery backup for the bases, and the 'timer' runs out no matter what.
with a handheld it is already on batteries. and i have many more.

reedeb

Desktop you MIGHT get better range. Handheld you can take it on the go PLUS if you lose power you can still [as long as it is charged up] keep monitoring

headlinemen52

Premium Subscriber
I have one more ? which one too buy HEANDHELD OR DECKTOP
i think he wants reasons for our choices.
i have older base stations, but now i lean toward handheld.
if the power goes out i have battery backup for the bases, and the 'timer' runs out no matter what.
with a handheld it is already on batteries. and i have many more.
thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If used only at home, a base/mobile scanner is more resistant to interference from other devices, such as your PC, monitor, printer, or broadband modem. That's because it has a metal case, which shields it somewhat. But I generally favor the handhelds, for the reasons above. I can take it with me whether in my vehicle, or in another room of the house. For the newer handheld scanners powered via a USB cable, you can keep monitoring during a power outage with batteries, but you can get an even longer run time via one of the power banks used to charge cell phones & tablets. That's what I used on my SDS100 & 436HP during last month's winter storm with lengthy periods of no power.

BF8609

I prefer the Base and if needed I can use it in car.....I stream the base to all my wireless devices and several neighbors too. I stream to the car via iPhone I don't travel too far away and use WAZE when on road trips. I'd hate to drop a handheld. Since I'm always on or close to iPad or iPhone the streaming option works great. I have a several UPS's and house is on 22kw Generac so power isn't a concern

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello i post that am buying a radio so now i got down too BCD325P2 OR TRX-1 SO WITCH ONE TO BUY I NEW TO THIS
Either of these scanners would handle the systems in your home county (Van Zandt). However, neither of them are the best choice for simulcast systems. That may not be a big issue there in Canton. Canton's system is not simulcast, but TxWARN in Smith County, and the Kaufman County system are. On the other hand, you may be far enough outside them that it's not a problem.

Both of these scanners are a good compact size, easy to grab & go when you want. The 325P2 only has two batteries, vs four in the TRX-1, so the TRX would have a longer period before you have to replace or recharge the batteries (I use rechargeable batteries in my 325P2 as well as the TRX-1). While there are almost no DMR systems listed for Van Zandt County, there are several in the Tyler/Smith County area. There may be more that have not been identified & added to the database for your county and the adjoining ones. The 325P2 can receive DMR & NXDN systems, but that requires a paid upgrade for each mode. While the TRX-1 does not properly trunk track those system types, it is capable of monitoring them, and there is no paid upgrade required.

For your specific area, between those two scanners, I would lean toward the TRX-1 mainly because of the longer battery life. But either scanner would handle your county, as long as you don't run into simulcast problems.

headlinemen52

Premium Subscriber
Either of these scanners would handle the systems in your home county (Van Zandt). However, neither of them are the best choice for simulcast systems. That may not be a big issue there in Canton. Canton's system is not simulcast, but TxWARN in Smith County, and the Kaufman County system are. On the other hand, you may be far enough outside them that it's not a problem.

Both of these scanners are a good compact size, easy to grab & go when you want. The 325P2 only has two batteries, vs four in the TRX-1, so the TRX would have a longer period before you have to replace or recharge the batteries (I use rechargeable batteries in my 325P2 as well as the TRX-1). While there are almost no DMR systems listed for Van Zandt County, there are several in the Tyler/Smith County area. There may be more that have not been identified & added to the database for your county and the adjoining ones. The 325P2 can receive DMR & NXDN systems, but that requires a paid upgrade for each mode. While the TRX-1 does not properly trunk track those system types, it is capable of monitoring them, and there is no paid upgrade required.

For your specific area, between those two scanners, I would lean toward the TRX-1 mainly because of the longer battery life. But either scanner would handle your county, as long as you don't run into simulcast problems.
Thanks for information

Status
Not open for further replies.