Freescan will work for now. It's free.

ProScan is an excellent program too:

Proscan.org

It has a 30 day free trial. It's great!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Were can find program for it
FreeSCAN, which Doc provided a link for, can program your 325P2 for your city & county, as well as the adjoining counties. As a Premium Subscriber, you can download frequencies from RadioReference into FreeSCAN.

There is a User Guide for FreeSCAN in the Wiki:

If, at a later date, you elect to add the DMR or NXDN upgrade, then you would need to instead switch to ProScan. FreeSCAN does not correctly handle DMR, and does not support NXDN at all. But as I've already noted, none of the public safety agencies around you use one of those formats. In Smith County, a couple of the school districts use DMR, & Mother Frances in Tyler has a DMR trunked system, but you may not be interested in monitoring these users.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
HELLO got my new UNIDEN BCD325P2 TODAY it working i hear van zandt and some smith county
Good deal. As you get more comfortable with it, I suspect that you can add more of your neighboring cities & counties, if you want to do that.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Will uniden325p2 pick up simulcast?
It's not really a question if the 325P2 can 'pick up simulcast'. It can receive the frequencies. The issue is how well. If you are hearing Tyler PD, then you likely are monitoring the Tyler Simulcast site. You're far enough away that the conflicting signals from the multiple sites does not affect you. I have the same with the large number of simulcast systems surrounding me here in Dallas. MetroCrest, NETCO (on FWRRS), GMRS, PAWM, Kaufman County, and the Midlothian layer of FWRRS are all simulcast. But I am far enough away that I don't have problems on my 325P2 or other scanners. But if I drive over into the middle of the area that one of those systems cover, my scanners other than the SDS scanners can have problems.

If you want to hear Kaufman, program it in. It may well work, since you are some distance away. If it does not, then all it cost you was a few minutes of your time for programming. Henderson County, to your south, is also building a new system that likely will be simulcast, but I don't believe it's on the air yet. Once it comes online, you could at least try it; it might work as well.

For the other counties around you, that do not use a trunked system, you may be able to cover them as well, if their signal is strong enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.