Buy a pro-96/2096 or upgrade to a new ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

radref

Since it appears that I can now listen to Memphis police I am thinking of buying another scanner. I have a kenwood TH-F6A with limited scanning capabilities but if I could find a new ham radio with APCO25 scanning ability I would just as soon upgrade to another ham radio and sell the THF6. Are there any hams radios with APCO25 scanning built in?

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
There are no amateur radios that can "trunk track" or track an APCO 25 system. You'll have to get either the Raidoshack digital scanner or a Uniden digital scanner to pick up Memphis.

radref

Not what I wanted to hear but oh well. I guess now I have to decide between the 2096 and 96 since they are both on sale.

SCPD

QRT
On a ham radio forum (eHam or QRZ) or in the ham radio magazine "QST" I saw a post or letter to the editor that the radio manufacturers should design mobiles/handhelds to include P25 and trunked system scanning capability. The ham stated that the need was hams working an emergency don't need to be saddled with carrying one more radio in order to keep up on the information gained by listening to an agency's radio system. Presumably this is the reason most ham radios now have the capability of scanning everything from the AM broadcast band to about 1300 MHz, excluding only cellular. The post or letter did not receive much interest from other hams.

The features on these "ham scanners" are not as conveniently accessible as a scanner, such as having a lockout button or as simple of a procedure to enter frequencies, but I find they are more sensitive and built more solidly than scanners are. Since we don't have much trunking in the area I live in, I don't carry my handheld scanners around that much. If my ham handhelds included trunking/digital I would carry them even less.

If the manufacturers think there is a demand for ham radios to have these capabilities I would suspect they would start making them. I'm not holding my breath.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you want a ham rig with AP25 you'll have to do what we do, reprogram a commercial unit. Yes Charolette, there ARE AP25/analog repeaters. Trunking no, we haven't the need so no mother of invention here unless you like Frank Zappa.

STiMULi

radref said:
Not what I wanted to hear but oh well. I guess now I have to decide between the 2096 and 96 since they are both on sale.

Check out the UNIDEN BCD996T if you are considering a 2096. To me it is WELL worth the cost for the added functionality .

Status
Not open for further replies.