Buy Now or Wait???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjp3637

Hello All,

I'm getting within a month or two of being able to afford to make the move to a digital capable trunked scanner, probably the Pro-96.

My question is should I buy now or wait until the rebanding is completed in my area (Massachusetts)?

Does anyone know if the new scanners being produced (by both RS and Uniden) at this time are rebanded? If the answer is a yes, then what would I look for on a NEW scanner to know if in fact rebanded, serial #, version #? Especially with RS, most of the sales persons in my area stores wouldn't have a clue.

I wouldn't want to buy it and have to send it in to be rebanded in a few months.

Thanks in advance...
Ray

DewAddict

Hi Ray,

The Pro-96 will not have to be "rebanded" as you state. The Pro-96 allows you to set up Custom tables within the software that SHOULD allow the scanner to work after the rebanding has been completed. If you have read the many many posts on the rebanding and scanners, this is not 100% assured though at this point. RS has stated that it will need to be "reprogrammed" and we assume that means to use the custom tables method to reprogram the frequencies and steps as their called. This SHOULD allow you to continue to receive the systems in use. According to the RS posts, it does not sound like we as Por-96 users will have to send in our scanners for anything. We will most likely be able to do everything with software.

I do not have any info on the Uniden models that would be of help to you as I use a Pro-96 and Love it!!

Hope this helps.

Rob

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Ray,

Depending on where in Mass you are located, you may want to hold off till rebanding happens. The BIG system will be the Mass State Police TRS obviously. If whatever you are currently using works I'd stick with that until we see the first system rebanded, then we can all be 100% sure which scanners will make the cut. There is also talk of the MSP going digital, but that will be at least a few more years, possibly longer, until that happens.

Now, if you are near the New Hampshire border and want to monitor digital then you have a real dilemma as to whether to buy now, but most of that area is VHF-Hi.

rjp3637

Thanks Rob,

While I've been scanning for over 30 years, I have NO technical knowledge on digital and the more advanced facets of trunking. I've read posts about the custom tables but I'm afraid that I haven't completely understood them. What exactly are custom tables and how do you program them?

Ray

DewAddict said:
Hi Ray,

The Pro-96 will not have to be "rebanded" as you state. The Pro-96 allows you to set up Custom tables within the software that SHOULD allow the scanner to work after the rebanding has been completed. If you have read the many many posts on the rebanding and scanners, this is not 100% assured though at this point. RS has stated that it will need to be "reprogrammed" and we assume that means to use the custom tables method to reprogram the frequencies and steps as their called. This SHOULD allow you to continue to receive the systems in use. According to the RS posts, it does not sound like we as Por-96 users will have to send in our scanners for anything. We will most likely be able to do everything with software.

I do not have any info on the Uniden models that would be of help to you as I use a Pro-96 and Love it!!

Hope this helps.

Rob

DewAddict

From what I understand, its the manual way of programming your scanner to follow (as in receive) the digital system being monitored. The way an 800 system works can be hard to understand but there are some great articles on here explaining how they work. I'll try to find a link to one for you to read.

Basically some 800 systems change the frequency every time the micorphone is keyed up and the scanner has to know how to follow that sequence. So by inputting a custom table you are telling it how to follow the system. There is alot more to it but for simplicity sake we'll start there.

Here's the link on trunking: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

Rob

Last edited:

n4voxgill

Silent Key
the FCC is under tremendous pressure from public safety to expand the 700 MHz frequncy allocation. If it is done, then the latest unidens will not cover the expanded frequencies.

good time to wait for both rebanding and resolution of 700 MHz.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
If the turmoil and gnashing of teeth in Central Kentucky is any indication, I would wait until a few rebanded systems are operating with the bugs worked-out.... and the scanner can follow 700 meg systems and do digital. I'd find a safe investment for your money until the new scanners are actually on the market and working.... this will probably be more interesting before it gets to be fun.

red8

I would wait also however if you want to get a scanner that will pick
700 mhz Uniden makes 2 models that will trunk track 700 mhz. the
bcd 996t and the bcd 396t both are fairly reliable scanners and re banding would not be any problem.

eyes00only

n4voxgill said:
the FCC is under tremendous pressure from public safety to expand the 700 MHz frequncy allocation. If it is done, then the latest unidens will not cover the expanded frequencies.

good time to wait for both rebanding and resolution of 700 MHz.

PRO 96 = GRE (not Uniden)

Jerry

arpege

Does that mean the pro 96 will be worthless when the switch is made to 700mhz?
I obviously bought the 96 so I could get the"meat and potatoes" of what is going on in my area.. Did I make a mistake by getting this model? I am in the Philly area.
thanks
PS.. I am not trying to hijack this thread.. I just thought my question pertains to the way the thread is flowing

eyes00only

arpege said:
I obviously bought the 96 so I could get the"meat and potatoes" of what is going on in my area.. Did I make a mistake by getting this model? I am in the Philly area.
thanks
PS.. I am not trying to hijack this thread.. I just thought my question pertains to the way the thread is flowing
I don't own a 96 because I was wise enough to hold off. I'm sure someone will say that with software you can trick the scanner to do 700 MHz, but I don't think it was MADE to receive 700. The 396 will do 700, but there are things I don't like about it. My problem is that I don't see the ideal scanner for me (Colorado) coming on the market too soon.

Jerry

scnnr

arpege said:
thanks

Is there any plans for 700 MHz systems in the foreseeable future in your area? Looking through the Datablse for Pennsylvania, I didn't see any such systems in use.

I really wish people would stop getting all worked up in a knot worrying about what tomorrow will bring. Carrying on and on about Rebanding and 700 MHz systems.:roll: If it happens it happens, nothing you can do about it. Enjoy your pro 96, it will give you a good few years of monitoring I'm sure.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
arpege said:
Does that mean the pro 96 will be worthless when the switch is made to 700mhz? ...
The Pro-96 (2096) will not trunk track in the 700 MHz band; so if that is what you mean, yes.

John_M said:
Speaking of rebanding. When can we expect a system to be rebanded?
I believe Paul Opiz addressed this issue in the General Scanning forum just recently.

eyes00only said:
I don't own a 96 because I was wise enough to hold off. I'm sure someone will say that with software you can trick the scanner to do 700 MHz, but I don't think it was MADE to receive 700. The 396 will do 700, but there are things I don't like about it. My problem is that I don't see the ideal scanner for me (Colorado) coming on the market too soon.
So I guess that you do no listening to the Colorado DTRS...well okay, but there are a lot of people listening to that system. You're not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.