BUYER BEWARE - NEW UPGRADED ARDV10 - IS IT TRUE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I would not challenge almost all of what you say, and indeed it echoes many of the things I have already posted.

However as I have also said, I find it very difficult to believe the TOP Management of AOR are being made aware of the real picture, and if they are that they would not realise the damage that is being done to the Company. NOT by the people who have brought these DV10 related issues to light, but by their own 'lower' or 'middle' Management teams who are telling them differently.

I know not everyone will agree, but for me AOR have produced some really good, quality products in the past. Some, like the AR-DV1 still for sale. I have always wanted AOR to see the light regarding the AR-DV10 issues, and adopt a mature, sensible, and Customer orientated approach to putting this right, so AOR can mend their reputation an go back to producing future good equipment.

palmerjrusa

I would not challenge almost all of what you say, and indeed it echoes many of the things I have already posted.

However as I have also said, I find it very difficult to believe the TOP Management of AOR are being made aware of the real picture, and if they are that they would not realise the damage that is being done to the Company. NOT by the people who have brought these DV10 related issues to light, but by their own 'lower' or 'middle' Management teams who are telling them differently.

I know not everyone will agree, but for me AOR have produced some really good, quality products in the past. Some, like the AR-DV1 still for sale. I have always wanted AOR to see the light regarding the AR-DV10 issues, and adopt a mature, sensible, and Customer orientated approach to putting this right, so AOR can mend their reputation an go back to producing future good equipment.

Ditto, the AR5000 plus 3 and AR7030 are two of the best receivers I've ever owned.
AOR need to get their act together. I was interested an purchasing the ARDV-10 but demurred and bought an Icom IC-R30 instead which does everything Icom says it would and does it very well.

mrkelso

mrkelso

64larry

Premium Subscriber
The product: AOR DV-10 was designed using parts that were produced by Yaesu and AOR. From previous posts made during the past 2 years on the DV-10 have made me wonder if the parts merged by the two companies conflict with each other. The AOR DV-1 doesn't seem to have these problems (other than the PC port) and the Yaesu aeronautics handheld haven't received these complaints. I'm wondering if the contract between the two companies have made it more difficult to resolve these issues.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It seems that any dealers selling AOR DV-1 and DV-10 post this statement:

NOTE: The special order AR-DV1 is not eligible for return or refund under any circumstances. Defective items are resolved directly with the manufacturer under manufacturer warranty. This item ships free to 48 states. Please disregard shipping amount shown in your cart if any.

Enough said! :cautious:

G7HID

It seems that any dealers selling AOR DV-1 and DV-10 post this statement:

NOTE: The special order AR-DV1 is not eligible for return or refund under any circumstances. Defective items are resolved directly with the manufacturer under manufacturer warranty. This item ships free to 48 states. Please disregard shipping amount shown in your cart if any.

Enough said! :cautious:
Luckily the consumer law is different in most of Europe, your contract is with the seller and not the manufacturer, so the retailer has the responsibility for the warranty. Although a few retailers are trying to shirk their responsibility over the DV1 and DV10..

Mike

mrkelso

Mine has been sitting in a box in the closet for over a year now. I think i am going to sell it.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Couple of people reporting a new problem Audio crackling sounds when Back Light is active. Obviously a fault with the Customers 'hearing'. Could not possibly be being caused by the Radio.

How might Mary Poppins have put it if she were a DV10?

"If you don't try me side by side with other types of Digital Receivers, I am practically perfect in every way".

"The 'others' are too stable to stay 'spit spot' on Frequency, and they can't lock up totally when controlled externally".

My 'Spoon full of sugar' is to declare any criticism as 'Fake News'.

The DV10 in one word, 'Suspect-Callous-Frequency-erratic-Hexxedbe-andAtrocious'

Last edited:

c0ne

Couple of people reporting a new problem Audio crackling sounds when Back Light is active. Obviously a fault with the Customers 'hearing'. Could not possibly be being caused by the Radio.

How might Mary Poppins have put it if she were a DV10?

"If you don't try me side by side with other types of Digital Receivers, I am practically perfect in every way".

"The 'others' are too stable to stay 'spit spot' on Frequency, and they can't lock up totally when controlled externally".

My 'Spoon full of sugar' is to declare any criticism as 'Fake News'.

The DV10 in one word, 'Suspect-Callous-Frequency-erratic-Hexxedbe-andAtrocious'

that crackling sound and other artifacts caused by the backlight is not new☹️

HE9JYP

I bought an AOR AR-DV20 in Switzerland in December 2020 and it perfectly decodes the following digital modes without reception problems (YEASU - D-CR - NXDN - DPMR - DMR).
On the other hand, no test in the HF-MW bands, only UHF-VHF.
I imagine that the new models are no longer affected by the temperature bug ...73

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I bought an AOR AR-DV20 in Switzerland in December 2020 and it perfectly decodes the following digital modes without reception problems (YEASU - D-CR - NXDN - DPMR - DMR).
On the other hand, no test in the HF-MW bands, only UHF-VHF.
I imagine that the new models are no longer affected by the temperature bug ...73
Can you post a picture or video of this supposed "DV20" in action?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
AOR have not openly acknowledged any faults with the DV10 since it went on sale, especially the temperature frequency drift, despite releasing firmware which tries to compensate for it using software, with only partial and intermittent success.

The DV10 has always been able to receive strong Digital signals of course. The problem arises with less strong transmission, where even a small frequency variation will result in no reception at all. No indication whatsoever.

On a weak analogue signal that is not a big problem, as the User can always re-tune slightly if needed, since the signal appears and can usually be heard, although one might consider that at the price of the DV10 should that ever be necessary, or even a possibility?

A weak digital signal is another matter altogether if the Receiver is off frequency. There will be no indication at all one is present, unless side by side with a frequency stable digital receiver that picks it up.

As has been said before, 'you do not know what you are missing' (sigh).

The closest analogy is the difference between an Analogue TV signal, which even if weak will often produce some sort of picture and sound. A Digital TV will just stay totally blank, no video, no audio if the signal is too weak, or cannot be processed because of a frequency discrepancy.

The AR-DV1 IS frequency stable (as is the Icom IC-R30), because the hardware has built in temperature compensation, consequently they will usually receive and react to Digital signals, even if they are not necessarily strong. One cannot rely on the DV10 doing the same on every occasion, simply because of its hardware design.

Sadly (and madly) ICOM flatly refusing to include DMR in the R10 and 8600 really lets down their Customers, despite the overall abilities, stability and construction of both devices. When it comes down to Customer service, or rather the lack of caring, AOR still win the prize, because of the way the dealt with the DV10's shortcomings. Very, very sad, but their decision to blame the messengers who told the truth about the problems, rather than themselves. In the short term it will have saved them money, but at the expense of their long term reputation.

The AR-DV10 is a nice looking receiver, and in theory lots of diverse Digital modes.. It will pick up lots of signals, but personally I expect any modern receiver to always be 'listening' to the frequency that is shown on its display all the time. It would and should have been a top of the line device, as the AR-DV1 is in my opinion. I am not trying to say the DV1 is perfect of course, but close, considering its small footprint and capabilities. AOR's addition of Tetra deserves a lot of praise, despite the fact that in reality most Tetra signals are totally scrambled.

If anyone is wondering, I am actually a great admirer of AOR, Still have a lot of their equipment, and love it. I only wish the AR-DV10 lived up to their previous achievements, or on discovering the main hardware problem they had decided to fix it at component level.

For those who like their DV10's, I am pleased for you. Just never compare its Digital signal reception capabilities against stable receivers, and you may never be disappointed.

HE9JYP

Totally agree with you, for the price I hesitated with the UNIDEN SDS100 but it is not very useful in Europe and loses its interest without using GPS and ZIP codes but it's a nice device.For the price (+1000$) of the AOR I could also have almost got an ICOM IC-R8600 but it is not the same use

cpootjes

In Europe its the only choice for a mobile tetra device. I am very happy with my device.
Its a 2020 device with a serial number that starts with AA

Status
Not open for further replies.