Buying a digital scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

78k10

I’m in the same boat. I’ve been on the fence between phase I vs II but after reading this thread I’m just going to spend the money and get a phase II. Southeast Texas seems to be moving strongly in that direction anyway.
You’ll be better off I think, just in case they go phase 2.

reconrider8

as for viper the plan is to go p2 in 25. for the time being i like my 1040 which is p1 but is a beast on p1 esp for learning and seeing if you like it before you drop big money on the p2 equipment

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Good morning folks. I’m looking at buying my first digital scanner. I currently have a Whistler ws1010 and it works well for me. But I want to start listening to the local sheriff and state troopers. I live in Burke county, NC. Also interested in Catawba county PD. So far, as I can figure out, I need a digital trunking scanner that does P25 phase 1. I like handhelds, so I’ve narrowed it down to either the whistler ws 1040, or the Uniden BCD325P2. The only real difference I can see, besides price, is that the uniden does phase 2, the whistler doesn’t. Is my information correct so far? I’m still learning about digital systems. I’m also not sure if these counties have gone to encryption or not. Am I on the right track?
I would recommend the BCD325P2 and I can help you with programming if you wish!

78k10

I would recommend the BCD325P2 and I can help you with programming if you wish!
I may have to take you up on that. I’m familiar with punching frequencies in on an analog scanner, but using a computer to program a digital one will definitely be a learning curve.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
I may have to take you up on that. I’m familiar with punching frequencies in on an analog scanner, but using a computer to program a digital one will definitely be a learning curve.
No problem! Just PM me whenever and I'll be more than happy to help you learn!

Chris0516

The WS1040 will work fine on VIPER. I used to travel quite a bit to WNC. Covid did a number on that:( Been traveling up there since 1999 from NGA.
But, in the last few years, using a WS1088 because of DMR.

Something you may want to consider, is that when NC goes Phase II in 5 years, how long will it take to build out the state on that system??? Getting a Phase II scanner now sounds good, but why pay more for something that may not work in 5 years.

JMTCW
As in, everyrthing being simulcast?

Chris0516

The WS1040 will work fine on VIPER. I used to travel quite a bit to WNC. Covid did a number on that:( Been traveling up there since 1999 from NGA.
But, in the last few years, using a WS1088 because of DMR.

Something you may want to consider, is that when NC goes Phase II in 5 years, how long will it take to build out the state on that system??? Getting a Phase II scanner now sounds good, but why pay more for something that may not work in 5 years.

JMTCW
I missed the 'Edit' timer. I thought about my previous answer. I already added DMR n' NXDN to my 325p2. Unless someone includes DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice, in a digital scanner's base cost. Without making them upgrade fees. I won't be getting another scanner, anytime soon.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
ProVoice is obsolete. There are only a few systems using it, and the equipment is no longer being made. There's probably no benefit to buying that upgrade.

Including upgrades in the base price of the scanner just means everyone pays full price for them, even those who never use them.

Chris0516

ProVoice is obsolete. There are only a few systems using it, and the equipment is no longer being made. There's probably no benefit to buying that upgrade.

Including upgrades in the base price of the scanner just means everyone pays full price for them, even those who never use them.
Glad I never got it.
As said by Jon why should I have to pay so something just because you want it. Maybe you should pay the $600 dollars a month for my wife to have Insurance.
I hope she is ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.