Buying a digital scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

78k10

Good morning folks. I’m looking at buying my first digital scanner. I currently have a Whistler ws1010 and it works well for me. But I want to start listening to the local sheriff and state troopers. I live in Burke county, NC. Also interested in Catawba county PD. So far, as I can figure out, I need a digital trunking scanner that does P25 phase 1. I like handhelds, so I’ve narrowed it down to either the whistler ws 1040, or the Uniden BCD325P2. The only real difference I can see, besides price, is that the uniden does phase 2, the whistler doesn’t. Is my information correct so far? I’m still learning about digital systems. I’m also not sure if these counties have gone to encryption or not. Am I on the right track?

the uniden does phase 2,
I don't have any "local knowledge" but I can tell you that the 325P2 is an excellent receiver and has had no issues since its release.

I'd highly recommend a Phase II capable scanner for future-proofing.

My phase 1 scanners needed replacement after our local agencies went to Phase 2.

Here's a list of Phase II scanners:

Good luck!

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
Hello I don’t know anything about your local area other than what I just saw on Radio Reference just now. Looks like you area Burke Co is mainly on Viper just so you know in 2025 Viper is moving everything over to Phase II so you may want to go ahead with phase II scanner I have one of those like you are talking about works great on viper but when 2025 comes it will not work

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The 1040 is an older design and does not handle phase. The TRX 1 does, and so does the GRE PSR 800 with the factory upgrade, The PSR 800 is the predecessor to the TRX 1 and there a couple of models with Radio Shack that are the same radio. They are the Pro 18 and Pro 668. They all can be upgrade by Whistler for the Phase 2 and other improvements including DMR. There are many post in the forum from satisfied users of these models. Except for the newest model 100 from Uniden, none of the previous models handle simulcast well in most situations.

78k10

Thank you for the replies so far. Given this information, I’m going to get something phase 2 capable to be on the safe side. I wasn’t sure how quickly they would upgrade. It sounds like I’m on the right track with these models.

N8IAA

Good morning folks. I’m looking at buying my first digital scanner. I currently have a Whistler ws1010 and it works well for me. But I want to start listening to the local sheriff and state troopers. I live in Burke county, NC. Also interested in Catawba county PD. So far, as I can figure out, I need a digital trunking scanner that does P25 phase 1. I like handhelds, so I’ve narrowed it down to either the whistler ws 1040, or the Uniden BCD325P2. The only real difference I can see, besides price, is that the uniden does phase 2, the whistler doesn’t. Is my information correct so far? I’m still learning about digital systems. I’m also not sure if these counties have gone to encryption or not. Am I on the right track?

The WS1040 will work fine on VIPER. I used to travel quite a bit to WNC. Covid did a number on that:( Been traveling up there since 1999 from NGA.
But, in the last few years, using a WS1088 because of DMR.

Something you may want to consider, is that when NC goes Phase II in 5 years, how long will it take to build out the state on that system??? Getting a Phase II scanner now sounds good, but why pay more for something that may not work in 5 years.

JMTCW

N8IAA

The 1040 is an older design and does not handle phase. The TRX 1 does, and so does the GRE PSR 800 with the factory upgrade, The PSR 800 is the predecessor to the TRX 1 and there a couple of models with Radio Shack that are the same radio. They are the Pro 18 and Pro 668. They all can be upgrade by Whistler for the Phase 2 and other improvements including DMR. There are many post in the forum from satisfied users of these models. Except for the newest model 100 from Uniden, none of the previous models handle simulcast well in most situations.

WS1088 was the upgrade from the PSR800. Oh, and the 800 did Phase II with a firmware upgrade. The TRX1 is the do all with DMR and NXDN.

I recently purchased the SDS200 and haven't had a single problem with it.

If you live in a Simulcast-prone area, it's the only solution that works.

78k10

The WS1040 will work fine on VIPER. I used to travel quite a bit to WNC. Covid did a number on that:( Been traveling up there since 1999 from NGA.
But, in the last few years, using a WS1088 because of DMR.

Something you may want to consider, is that when NC goes Phase II in 5 years, how long will it take to build out the state on that system??? Getting a Phase II scanner now sounds good, but why pay more for something that may not work in 5 years.

JMTCW
When you say “may not work”, do you mean that it may not work on that system, or that it may just wear out and stop functioning?

WB9YBM

Good morning folks. I’m looking at buying my first digital scanner. I like handhelds, so I’ve narrowed it down to either the whistler ws 1040, or the Uniden BCD325P2.

I bought a Uniden hand-held several decades ago, and have been very happy with it. Only had to send it in for service once, which was also a positive experience.

N8IAA

When you say “may not work”, do you mean that it may not work on that system, or that it may just wear out and stop functioning?

What my statement means , is that, the build out isn't going to happen until 2025. Build outs for statewide systems take years. Why not get a scanner that will work well on VIPER, and not spend more money then necessary?

I have scanners that are 10+ years old. They still work and decode analog and digital. The scanner won't wear out. The changes to the system in 5+ years could take a completely different turn. No one can predict the future of scanning in the next five years. With the 1040, you'll have years of scanning enjoyment.

Chris0516

I know you posted this a month ago.

I have the BCD325p2. I got it several years ago. I like it a lot.

78k10

Still looking around, but I’m probably going to go with the uniden. One thing that concerns me though, is encryption. I’d hate to buy one and then have them flip the switch two months later. Is there any way to know when or if they plan to move to encryption, or is that something they just decide on the fly?

RF-Burns

Still looking around, but I’m probably going to go with the uniden. One thing that concerns me though, is encryption. I’d hate to buy one and then have them flip the switch two months later. Is there any way to know when or if they plan to move to encryption, or is that something they just decide on the fly?

I would highly recommend if your pocket book allows to buy one of the SDS Uniden Scanners. The IQ technology works great on Viper. As for encryption, no Burke County and counties around Burke do not have plans to go encrypted. Of course Viper does have encrypted talkgroups but I do not believe Burke has any. The SDS line of scanners is the most advanced scanning radio on the market today and it is well built for decoding P25 trunk systems.

Baddad

Premium Subscriber

Hi 78k10,

Sorry I'm so late seeing this. I'm in Hickory & can confirm that you don't have to worry about encryption around here. Other than Hickory PD and their insipid Open Sky system, pretty much everything around here is in the clear.

I have a Uniden 396, 396XT & an SDS100 & they all work fine with VIPER which is what you are looking for.

78k10

I would highly recommend if your pocket book allows to buy one of the SDS Uniden Scanners. The IQ technology works great on Viper. As for encryption, no Burke County and counties around Burke do not have plans to go encrypted. Of course Viper does have encrypted talkgroups but I do not believe Burke has any. The SDS line of scanners is the most advanced scanning radio on the market today and it is well built for decoding P25 trunk systems.
Well, I looked at the SDS line, and my wallet won’t allow that lol. I know uniden puts out some top notch stuff, but I just don’t listen enough to justify that kind of money.

78k10

Hi 78k10,

Sorry I'm so late seeing this. I'm in Hickory & can confirm that you don't have to worry about encryption around here. Other than Hickory PD and their insipid Open Sky system, pretty much everything around here is in the clear.

I have a Uniden 396, 396XT & an SDS100 & they all work fine with VIPER which is what you are looking for.
That gives me some peace of mind knowing that my $300 scanner won’t become a $300 brick any time soon.

Phicks9192

I’m in the same boat. I’ve been on the fence between phase I vs II but after reading this thread I’m just going to spend the money and get a phase II. Southeast Texas seems to be moving strongly in that direction anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.