Buying A New Scanner Any Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickwest2006

Going to buy a new scanner need it to accept digital and must be easy to use also must be a desk top modle thanks

N8IAA

Going to buy a new scanner need it to accept digital and must be easy to use also must be a desk top modle thanks

Have you tried reading the Radio Reference Wiki on the different models of digital scanners yet? That is going to give you a bunch of info. Don't know what you are using now, but, anything after the Pro-2096, is going to be REALLY different:) You just opened a huge can of worms with this question.;)
Larry

captclint

Mentor
As N8IAA said, the learning curve for digital is steep if you are used to bank scanners. IMHO, there are really only 2 choices :Uniden BCD996XT and GRE PSR-600. Radio Shack is customer unfriendly, and very slow to incorporate firmware fixes and improvements. Uniden and GRE make radios for them, and the are both good about firmware updates, but RS delays firmware updates from both. GRE is the most aggressive and slightly better on customer relations. Also see: Digital Scanner Comparison Chart - The RadioReference Wiki

The basic considerations are as follows:
  1. GRE is more sensitive(gets weaker signals), but that very feature makes them prone to overload if in the city or near any type of radio/TV/cell towers. Previously, GRE was better with digital, but I think that difference has been minimized with the latest firmware from Uniden...see how important firmware can be.
  2. Uniden does not overload as much (hence is not as sensitive), and generally has more features, which you will probably appreciate once you are familiar. For example, they skip over encrypted communications, while GRE just hangs on them producing annoying noise while searching TGID's. Also has GPS system control (limited value for a Base unit), Channel Number Tagging -- lets you quickly select a channel like bank scanners, temporary lock-out, and Fire Tone outs (limited value IMHO)
  3. You really need software to program and better understand a digital radio. There is an excellent program for Unidens that is free: FreeScan. GRE typically costs $30-$40
You will find diehards in either camp, but I think they all generally agree on the points above, so you need to decide if you are far enough from the radio signals to justify a GRE.

Last edited:

Drafin

No one reads before posting do they? LOL

As others have said you have two choices (the two already stated).

In a nutshell if you need sensitivity go with the GRE/Radio Shack model. If you live where RF interference is a problem then go with the Uniden.

Everything else is a matter of taste... I have owned both brands and like them both. I just happen to live in an area now that I need a more sensitive scanner.

Draf

Status
Not open for further replies.