buying a scanner in edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

omrail

you can try CB City in Sherwood Park there in the road king just off highway 16. the last time i was in the store and had a look at the scanners there was a BCT15 and to me it was a rip off at500 and some dollars. i would hope that you could talk them down on a BCD996T. that is if there is any. http://www.cbcity.ca/ there website is under construction and it was saying done by jan2008 and still not up but there phone number is on there and the address. Good luck

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Don't think you're gonna find anything in Calgary. I came across a BC72XLT in a RS/Source here a year or two ago - those are the ones that are still 100 channel, 30-512MHz, no CTCSS, etc.

SCPD

QRT
well if anything i'll buy from www.unidendirect.com
they ship to canada i just hate waitting on new toys though

I use to be a big Uniden fan until someone handed me a GRE 500 scanner to play with. Now I'm hooked on GRE scanners.

This is hard for me too say. I owned at least one of every Uniden Trunked scanner ever sold, NO LONGER.

Uniden has quickly become the GM of the scanner industry, living on their laurels and not listening to thier customers will soon drop them to number two.

GRE has several new scanners that Kick Unidens butt, as far as I'm concerned Uniden can to @##$

HDMechanic

brechtd:
That a boy.
Just a note to everyone thats intrested i have talke to a radio place in Bunaby B.C that is very intrested in bring in thr Grecom products to sell out of his store and will be keeping in contact with him and will let everyone know when he goes forward with the plan.

BC_Scan

Holy c%^&P batman , dont hold your breath on the burnaby bc radio shop (aka Burnaby radio) in the west , BC, the scanner community is underserved, all you got was a long distance phone bill & lip service for getting any new radio's (gre or otherwise) the ham community is so notoriuosly cheap and if I were to walk in right now to that shop , one guy would not even know the name gre and the other guy would say well we have had one phone inquiry from calgary and that is it.
Case in point , I phoned them recently about an alinco that they had advertised on their webiste, phoned them and asked and guy said quote" oh we don't have any 220 mhz radio's " as there is no ham activity in that band here" boy is he full of s^#((t, I am steel reeling after that comment. I promplty phone radioworld next day and had radio few days later.
Now back to gre, I stand to be corrected, if they do get one radio , it would be the low end model without trunk tracking , as they don't even realize that trunk tracking is used in the lower mainland.

SCPD

QRT
Well .. scanners in Edmonton are a non-existing thing. There is only Alfa radio and we all know that their prices are way too high on this stuff. They just order it from one of the places in Ontario and raise the price from there.

I personally am going to go to the GRE 500 model .. as well I am tired of the lack of innovation at Uniden. The new features that GRE is coming out with are nice .. and giving that they have better performance than Uniden, there is nothing for us to lose.

So Doug .. when you get the GRE let me know as I do want to get one too. :cool:

Hi. I am new to this site, and this is my first post :) I know this may be too late, but I read this, and wanted to add something. Im glad that you decided not to go to CB city. I did some research and they do charge an OUTRAGEOUS price for most of their stuff. A friend of mine just ordered a Uniden Trunktracker III. I asked him and he seems to be pretty happy with it. He ordered it from www.Radio World.ca (located in Toronto)
The wait wasn't long he had it shipped out and was just over $250 including Canada Post S/H. It may be something that you wat to check out.

I want to buy another one because the one that I have just won't cut it anymore. Its ancient... Uniden Bearcat from like 1998. can only save 30 channels on the thing. Barely picks up anything... piece of junk... anyways.
I would like to get someone else's opinion. Has anyone heard of the Trunktracker III or perhaps there is another better one that someone can suggest.
Thank you

SCPD

QRT
I trust you are in the Edmonton area .. ?

Personally my favorite scanners .. the ones that i would recommend. I am going to give you some handheld models, as that is really what most people would probably want so you can take it with you when you go out.

Uniden 246T .. my fav scanner, due to its size and it does perform well. It is NON digital, but there isnt much digital here yet (Edmonton Institution etc) About 250$ when all is done. :lol:

Uniden 396T .. haven't owned one but i have friends that do own them. But .. overall not too bad from what i hear. Does APCO 25 digital but not as well as the GRE 500 i hear.
(About 500-600$ when all is done) :roll:

GRE 500 .. haven't owned one yet. But .. this is the one i am buying next. This right now is the model of choice, relatively new but does all you would want and more. Does APCO 25 digital as well. (About 500-600$ when all is done) :lol:

You can generally listen to Ambulance, Fire and Police dispatch channels here, and whatever conventional or P25 stuff you find (with the digital models above)

It should be noted that you may come across ProVoice use here in Edmonton ... cannot be done period with any scanner. Forget about it, very secure, so just get one of the above scanners. There is a need for secure transmissions .. and this is how they do it.

Hope this helps .. but im sure someone else will come and give you there opinions.

Another one that works well in the Edmonton area is the Radio Shack PRO-96. That is the radio that we currently use for our online feed of the Edmonton Fire Department. However I agree if you are looking for a top of the line radio the GRE 500 is the way to go. Has a ton of features and is ready for 700 MHz trunk systems in case Edmonton decides to go with the Province wide system and goes non-encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.