Buying a scanner ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniehowe

I'm buying a scanner as a gift and need some guidance. I've spent hours reading over this site, and think that I will be purchasing a RS Pro-106.

This will be a gift for a family member and preferably would need to be capable of scanning the Birmingham area. Can this easily be configured to scan Birmingham, Jefferson County, Homewood, Hoover, Mt. Brook, Irondale, etc.?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

puzzleriddle

Sure thing Contact me and will send you a programing file to help ya Or make plans to meet up & help ya..
Good luck BTW I am Birminham South Side

TechnoDave

It will be capable of scanning the agencies you identified. I do recommend programming via computer program tho. I just programmed a 106 for a friend of mine and I just programmed the 197 for myself. Without the software its not going to be easy.

Or, you can have Puzzleriddle do it...LOL

Last edited:

puzzleriddle

Well ya can still use you premium subscription & ty PSREDIT500 also free for 30 days & then pay 4 it that my fav the trial part I thing with ARC 500 is th e2 free downloads that is only good for two weeks .. I don't think y have to buy it again?

anniehowe

Doing more research

I've waited for Radio Shack to put the Pro 106 back on sale, and now that it is this week, I noticed that the Uniden Home Patrol-1 is available for only another Franklin.

Actually, I'm looking at the fact that I found an online coupon that would make a purchase of the HP-1 only $30 more than if I bought the 106 at the regular price, so is the HP-1 everything that they say it is. I have tried their page that is supposed to let you preview what the scanner will do, but it appears to be inoperable at this time.

What do you guys think? Is the HP-1 a good deal? Would it come with everything needed for programing and use* thus bringing the price-point to the 106 even closer?

* According to the RS page, the HP-1 comes with the AC and DC adapters, USB cable, set up CD and SD micro card.

TechnoDave

I just read the info on the HP-1 and I dont know if that is what I would go with or not. Seems like you are going to hear everything and anything in the area, since it is self programmed. It would not be my choice, especially at the higher price.
You have a lot more options with the 106.
Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.