buying a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0OIU

hey folks,

I appreciate your patience on the topic. I've read through and through a massive swath of posts on RR and on other sites regarding the use of the BCD436hp vs. TRX-1 and I get that it mostly comes down to user preference, however I see a number of back/forth opinions on the uptake of NXDN vs. ProVoice and then performance on Simulcast systems seems to be largely dependent on regional location.

So I wanted to reach out to folks in the region to understand performance and give/takes of these radio systems. I'm thinking that each will likely work well enough, but I'd like to not make a stupid mistake.

I enjoy listening to the signals around the boulder valley region, but I intend to travel with around the region - Wyoming/Montana/Utah/NM. I appreciate the GPS capability and screen layout of the 436, but it seems like the TRX-1 may have some better functionality? is this actually a true observation?

open to opinion and thought and I appreciate your feedback.

Regards,
-Scott
KD0OIU

KD0OIU

nobody?

72 views and nobody has an opinion on performance of these two receivers in Colorado?

Maybe I'm up the wrong tree; Is there a more preferred scanner for Front Range operations and travelling in the region?

thanks again
-Scott

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Scott,

The TRX vs BCD debate reminds me of the Chevy vs Ford debate. Both radios are great. The best advice I can give you is to figure out all the feature you want in a radio, and buy the one that best suits your needs. If you must have Provoice and GPS, that will limit you to one brand or scanner. IF you must have NXDN, again, that limits you to one brand of scanner. I have a bunch of the Uniden radios with GPS, and, I never use this feature. I program the scanner the way I want it to work. P25 audio is more consistent on the TRX line of radios. Both scanners have difficulties receiving simulcast systems. Good luck and happy hunting!

CharlieKe

GPS works great when traveling out of your usual area, especially on longer road trips where manual programming of each area would be time consuming. On the other hand I never use it in my "home" area since manual programming can be far more tailored to what I want to hear.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Can't comment on the TRX-1 as I don't have it, but I do have the 436HP. I'm very pleased with it's performance here in CO.

KD0OIU

abqscan, CharlieKe & ShyFlyer - Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the opinions given thus far.

So from my research, there's only NXDN on the trainlines and the research facility in Pueblo - is that correct? And then provoice is in Aurora and maybe Denver?

Do you even need the DMR capabilities around here? If I missed this answer in a different thread - my mistake.

Outside of that, the performance of the two radios is pretty close to equal around the region?

It's such an interesting topic to me as I read the forums where there seem to be advantages/disadvantages in receive quality between both models and some speculate it to also be based on regional location.

I guess I'm curious to hear your experiences with your setup from around the region. I'm up in the Boulder area and can hear local operations on my yaesu, but I also travel frequently around the greater region and obviously can't capture trunked operations.

thank you again,
-Scott

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I primarily stick to scanning public safety channels and air band (for which I dedicate a 125AT). As such, I haven't paid much attention to NXDN systems. Uniden scanners currently lack NXDN capability anyway.

As for Denver, I think their EDACS system has some ProVoice talkgroups, but DPD dispatch channels seem to be exclusively analog. As far as I know, all of Aurora is on a Phase II P25 system. APD is totally encrypted but fire and EMS are still in the clear.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
So from my research, there's only NXDN on the trainlines and the research facility in Pueblo - is that correct? And then provoice is in Aurora and maybe Denver?

Do you even need the DMR capabilities around here?

The only system that still has Provoice on it is Denver Public Safety. They are supposed to switch to a P25 system in 2018. Aurora is P25 Phase II.

NXDN and DMR are used mainly for commercial use around here. I'm not aware of any Public Safety agency in Colorado that is using DMR.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
And then provoice is in Aurora and maybe Denver?

There was actually a recently discussion regarding ProVoice that can be found at: BCD325P2 ProVoice Upgrade.

The basics are that Denver is the last in Colorado to use ProVoice on limited amounts of talkgroups. They plan on going to a P25 system before the start of 2019.

Do you even need the DMR capabilities around here? If I missed this answer in a different thread - my mistake.

It is necessary if you are interested in listening to business operations. There are also some DMR repeaters in the area. Not so much public safety wise.

Outside of that, the performance of the two radios is pretty close to equal around the region?

I have never used a Uniden, so I can only parrot some of the observations I've heard from others. Whistler scanners tend to have a VHF overload and desense issue due to poor filtering, which has possibly mitigated in the TRX. Uniden doesn't handle P25 patching, which is unfortunate when trying to listen to CSP (details can be found at Colorado State Patrol (CO) - Patching) or if a major event occurs. Both can by overloaded strong cell towers in the 800 MHz range. Both don't handle simulcast very well, which is an increasing problem as more areas begin to deploy simulcast sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.