Buying a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCKFD34

If this is not the right place to ask, I apologize. I live in Guilderland, NY and we're now digital and I want to buy a new handheld scanner so I can listen to Fire/EMS/Police. If I understand what I've already researched, I will need a scanner that receives APCO-25 Phase 1 (Albany County), correct? Is there a scanner that's completely idiot proof as far as programming? Recommendations?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
if it is a simulcast system only one scanner has the hardware in it to decode it properly (sds100), all the rest can take a fair amount of tweaking in a attempt to receive the system or you may not get it at all. Go to the database in here and search your systems BEFORE you put out the cash.

Com-Tech51H8

bureaucratic absence of presence.
Premium Subscriber
If this is not the right place to ask, I apologize. I live in Guilderland, NY and we're now digital and I want to buy a new handheld scanner so I can listen to Fire/EMS/Police. If I understand what I've already researched, I will need a scanner that receives APCO-25 Phase 1 (Albany County), correct? Is there a scanner that's completely idiot proof as far as programming? Recommendations?

yes phase I or phase II unit will suffice. yes theres a multiutude of programming solution i am very local to you any question feel free to pm me.

MCKFD34

Is Albany County's Phase I un-encrypted? If I program for Albany County, will I get all Town/Talkgroups?

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
If you are spending $300 on a scanner, shell out the additional $40 for software. Butel ARCXT Basic. It downloads from the RR database and is almost idiot-proof.

D

DaveNF2G

For Guilderland, you need to be sure to program the County Cell of the system.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Generally speaking, as far as ease of programming is concerned, the Uniden "HP" scanners that utilize micro SD cards with the entire U.S. database are somewhat easier. You need to tell the scanner where you live (zip code or actual GPS coordinates), what types of systems you want to monitor, and the range/distance you want to be able to receive. I know I'm making this sound easier than it is because there are some settings that will trip people up along the way.

kc2kvy

Feed Provider
You might be better off getting a Unication G5 pager, since you’re a McKownville volunteer. I don’t personally own one, but I’ve heard very good things about them.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You might be better off getting a Unication G5 pager, since you’re a McKownville volunteer. I don’t personally own one, but I’ve heard very good things about them.
My experience with the G5 has proven to me that it works extremely well with the Albany County p25 system. I had been using, or trying to use, a RadioShack PRO-651 as a portable scanner to monitor the local system. The transmissions just kept breaking up so badly in my aluminum-sided house that I abandoned its use for that purpose. It was just useless, at least for me. The G5 reception performance, on the other hand, is bullet-proof perfect! It even beats my 536HP even when using my outside-mounted discone.

That said, programming is manually done via the free Unication PPS software. Currently, at least, there is no option to download and program from RR, although I understand that may be offered in a near-future update. The good news is that if you have any interest in Unication, the PPS software can be downloaded for free to enable you to set up your programming and see for yourself. Just be aware that you'll only be able to scan one site (Metro Cell or County Cell) at a time, and there's no lockout or hold functions.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
MCKFD34 - I recommend for a Hand Held scanner the Whistler 1080 or TRX-1 (expensive).
for a Base scanner , I recommend the Whistler 1098 and its on Clearence at Whistler.
In any case, Modern scanners from Whistler in the 1080 series all have SD card and also have EZ scan, which is great Software.
they all Receive Digital P25 Phase I/II and the TRX does NXDN and DMR.
the Scanners have an SD card for Memory and have the Entire USA & Canada Database on it and you can Update the Scanner using the FREE Whistler EZ scan software.
I recommend to Stay away from low end Scanners that DONT have a Memory card.
Updating by PC is Simple and Easy. and FREE.

MCKFD34

Do you know me? If so, can you contact me offline?

Status
Not open for further replies.