Buying a Starter HF Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDS-INC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am studying for my tech license so i can operate on HF, I am also interested in listening to HF Marine and Aircraft, What would be a good starter Receiver by ICOM?
I am only interested in Icom HF Transceivers. I am currently looking into the Icom IC-706MKIIG or the Icom IC-7000 HF.
I would also be interested in monitoring my local VHF/UHF Ham operations as well.
What would anyone recommend as a good starter HF Transceiver for LSB and USB?

KC0QNB

Well since you asked the Icom IC-718 is an excellent rig for a starter rig, I don't have one but I have used one, and it is cost effective (usually under $600US), it is HF only, has 100+ memories ans I believe it can scan those memories. Go here for more info. Download the pdf manual here. But be advised there are only a very frequencies you can transmit on as a tech.
73 Ryan

CDS-INC

Banned
I am more into monitoring rather than transmitting right now, but, i would like to have the transmitting capabilities so when i get my license and upgrade.
I like the platform of the 718, i think i might purchase that one

W8OSP

I would say depends on what radios you already have? If you prefer "desktop" radios or prefer something you can haul around or use anywhere you can hook up power and an antenna. If you dont have any VHF/UHF rigs now, id suggest going with the 706. Now if you wont to drop some money down the 7000 is a very nice rig. So if you already have something to work VHF/UHF then go with the 718, but if your looking for something to do it all, go with the 706 or 7000.

CDS-INC

Banned
i would like something for starting that will do HF and i can atleast RX VHF/UHF.
I read about some other HF Rigs by icom and the specs say that the models RX depends on options, but i think to start off with HF i am going to go with the 706 or 718.
I am now just looking for pricing on either.

prcguy

The receiver in the 7000 gets poor ratings, especially with a large antenna. It has a DSP IF with lits of digital filter settings but apparently Icom didn't implement the DSP very well. The 706 series is a solid proven radio.
prcguy
I would say depends on what radios you already have? If you prefer "desktop" radios or prefer something you can haul around or use anywhere you can hook up power and an antenna. If you dont have any VHF/UHF rigs now, id suggest going with the 706. Now if you wont to drop some money down the 7000 is a very nice rig. So if you already have something to work VHF/UHF then go with the 718, but if your looking for something to do it all, go with the 706 or 7000.

W8OSP

Yeah id say your right, 7000 is fairly new. The 706 has been around ahwile. So yeah id go with the 706 since you want to atleast rx VHF/UHF. Good thing is once you do get your ticket, you can actually use it!!

Also might i suggest if you do take your tech test, once you pass, go ahead and take the general also. Since your there and from what you say you want to play on HF. Good luck and hope to work you on the bands!!

The receiver in the 7000 gets poor ratings, especially with a large antenna. It has a DSP IF with lits of digital filter settings but apparently Icom didn't implement the DSP very well. The 706 series is a solid proven radio.
prcguy

CDS-INC

Banned
Yeah id say your right, 7000 is fairly new. The 706 has been around ahwile. So yeah id go with the 706 since you want to atleast rx VHF/UHF. Good thing is once you do get your ticket, you can actually use it!!

Also might i suggest if you do take your tech test, once you pass, go ahead and take the general also. Since your there and from what you say you want to play on HF. Good luck and hope to work you on the bands!!

I spoke to a friend in Buffalo who had done the same thing, and i think that is the route i was going to take when i took the test.
But for right now i might just buy the radio and learn how to use it and monitor, and when i get my ticket i will hook up the mic and fire it up.

prcguy

Another radio that ain't bad is the Yaesu FT-857. Similar is size and performance to the Icom 706MKIIG and if you ever get into portable operation with batteries, it only draws about 600ma on rx as opposed to almost 2A for the Icom. I have used both radios side by side and its hard to say if one is better than the other. The Yaesu FT-897 is an 857 in a larger box that will hold batteries or an AC power supply.
prcguy

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
While we are on the subject of used equipment, the Yaesu Ft-847 is an awesome radio. HF-440MHZ. Will not disappoint you at all! I had one for a while but had to sell it for financial reasons. Wish I still I had it!

Manny

kb2vxa

Banned
I'm very satisfied with my IC-706Mk2G as a good "all in one" rig ideal for mobile and limited space home installation. The frequency response curve isn't exactly flat across the board; it has a few dips in sensitivity here and there outside the ham bands but they're not so severe as to be unacceptable. It gets progressively deaf below 160M so the AM broadcast band suffers and by the time it gets into LF it's pretty useless so don't count on it as a "lowfer". On the other hand as a ham rig and general coverage SW receiver it's great.

I'll never understand why Yaesu discontinued the FT-847. That radio has great RX across all bands and modes. A used one would be a great intro to Ham radio.

CDS-INC

Banned
I like the looks of the Yaesu Ft-847, Does anyone know how much this radio goes for used?

I also see that you can use CAT Software to controll this radio,

IT looks like a nice rig

They tend to be pretty high--in the neighborhood of 1000, depending on what all you get and what filter options they have installed.

That ought to tell you something about them. I have had mine for 7 years now, absolutely flawless. I recently got the Inrad 2.1 KHZ crystal filter, not sure if it is 175 dollars better, but HF SSB cleaned up a little bit...

I had a friend's Icom 706mkIIg here for a few days to compare, and the RX on the 847 is better on VHF/UHF, especially with SSB mode. HF was pretty close between the two, but I still like the 847 better---it has good sounding audio on RX and TX.

I've never actually messed with the satellite functions, or CAT control, or even crossbanding, but it is nice to have those features if I ever get around to wanting them.

CDS-INC

Banned
I mostly want the Icom right now to listen to Marine HF and also Aircraft HF, is this possible on the Icom?
Also as soon as i get my HF Ticket, i want to try and see where i can reach too.
My father is big into HF, He is very interested in Worldwide stuff, So i want to get into that aspect too when i get my ticket.
But right now i am interested in the Marine and Aircraft stuff, We have alot of ports around here and someone told me that Tugs do alot with HF as the Ships and Barges do.

Status
Not open for further replies.