Buying a Uniden BCD996XT - how long will be of merit w/Open Sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSig

I am going to upgrade my scanner to a Uniden BCD996T scanner - Live in Oakland County, want to listen to Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Birmingham, Bloomfiled, and sometimes Detroit.

Will the investment in this level of scanner by obsolete in short order with the Open Sky adoption by there communities / LE departments?

Thanks for the input - been losing transmission over time.

Best, JoeSig

freqs

Rochester Hills Fd still at this time on 154.415 city of Rochester is on Open Sky Oakland Co Sheriff on Open Sky. Auburn Hills you can still monitor (not on open sky yet) still some Fire Dept you can monitor in Oakland Co .But with that radio you will be able to get MPSCS so tons to monitor with that.

JoeSig

Freqs,

Thanks for the reply - appreciate your expertise on who's on what protocol. Agree there will still be things to monitor, but have particular interest in the lacal communities around RH. Looks like I'm going to have to expand my interest beyond that with this situation.

Is City of Detroit also Open Sky?

Also do you have any suggestions in terms of meeting up with a local scanner community - I need some serious mentoring I believe to get the most benefit out of up-grading and some of the tips and tricks to enhance my enjoyment in the hobby.

Thanks, JoeSig

City of Detroit thank goodness is not. It is on the MPSCS (Michigan Public Safety Communications System) I can pick Detroit PD up if I stand by my front door. Eastern Wayne County though I pick up wonderfully. Gross Pointe Farms,Harper Woods, Gross Pointe Shores,Gross Parks and so on.

Last edited:

JoeSig

Oslo & Freqs,

Thanks for the good news on still being able to monitor City of Detroit - I am surrounded by already, and soon to be Open Sky communities.

The lack of activity is really taking away from what I really enjoyed in hearing over the years

freqs

Freqs,

Thanks for the reply - appreciate your expertise on who's on what protocol. Agree there will still be things to monitor, but have particular interest in the lacal communities around RH. Looks like I'm going to have to expand my interest beyond that with this situation.

Is City of Detroit also Open Sky?

Also do you have any suggestions in terms of meeting up with a local scanner community - I need some serious mentoring I believe to get the most benefit out of up-grading and some of the tips and tricks to enhance my enjoyment in the hobby.

Thanks, JoeSig
Your best bet is to stay with Radio Reference you will find more help than you can shake a stick at .Members are from all over the State and Country .Or you can join up with a local HAM Radio club in the Rochester area most are interested in scanners as well .
If you have the scanner keep it. even if your city/ twp is on Open Sky you will still find alot of stuff in Oakland Co to monitor .I grew up at Auburn and Dequindre and have family in that area so aia still monitor that area alot .

JoeSig

Thanks much Freqs - good advise - I want to get involved in Ham anyway, so the match of those that share the scanner hobby would be natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.