• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Buying a XPR5550

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I think I'm going to try to buy one of these. Cool color display, why not?
Been buying different XPR's for a little while now, but currently we are still analog. At some point in time, we will be going MotoTrbo. No idea if it will be a single site, multi-sites, or whatever.

I'm looking in the basic service manual and see three choices for the 9th character in the part number:
A. Conventional.
B. Trunking.
C. Analog only.

Does it really matter which of the first two I buy, if I'm unsure what kind of system we are going to end up with?

ki4gyw

Premium Subscriber

I think I'm going to try to buy one of these. Cool color display, why not?
Been buying different XPR's for a little while now, but currently we are still analog. At some point in time, we will be going MotoTrbo. No idea if it will be a single site, multi-sites, or whatever.

I'm looking in the basic service manual and see three choices for the 9th character in the part number:
A. Conventional.
B. Trunking.
C. Analog only.

Does it really matter which of the first two I buy, if I'm unsure what kind of system we are going to end up with?

They will only do 12.5 bandwidth. The CPS has the option but when you try to write it you get a error.

W2NJS

I think that logic dictates that until you know what kind of system you're going into you shouldn't buy anything. The original 6000 series TRBOs were TRBO and analog FM, but this new bunch of stuff appears to require some choices to be made that you didn't used to have to make.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Currently they are only available in the UHF models with two power levels, 1-25 watts and 25-40 watts. They will do Analog, or Digital and with proper entitlement Capacity plus trunking and IP site connect. Connect Plus and LTR trunking and VHF will be available in future releases.

BB

Devilz311

Currently they are only available in the UHF models with two power levels, 1-25 watts and 25-40 watts. They will do Analog, or Digital and with proper entitlement Capacity plus trunking and IP site connect. Connect Plus and LTR trunking and VHF will be available in future releases.

BB

They've been available in VHF for a few years now... I've had my VHF XPR6550 for 2 years.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks to all

BB

Thanks to all.
We already know what freqs we will be on (UHF), that part just involves license modification for existing frequencies. The character in question in the model number gives a choice of a trunking radio or a conventional radio, or analog only radio. I think based upon suggestions here, I will hold off on buying one yet

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure where you got your information about the model number but I can assure you the new XPR5000 series (i.e. XPR5550) has only two UHF models (1-25 watts and 25-40 watts) currently and they both do analog or digital. The type of "trunking" (capacity plus/connect plus) is added with an entitlement firmware from Motorola. Connect Plus will be supported in a future release. There was an older (now discontinued) model that could be ordered with only analog or only digital.

So you can purchase them now and program them with analog and/or digital frequencies. Later if you go to some type of trunking you purchase the entitlement firmware.

Hope this helps!
BB

SCPD

QRT
Service Manual

I'm not sure where you got your information about the model number but I can assure you the new XPR5000 series (i.e. XPR5550) has only two UHF models (1-25 watts and 25-40 watts) currently and they both do analog or digital. The type of "trunking" (capacity plus/connect plus) is added with an entitlement firmware from Motorola. Connect Plus will be supported in a future release. There was an older (now discontinued) model that could be ordered with only analog or only digital.

So you can purchase them now and program them with analog and/or digital frequencies. Later if you go to some type of trunking you purchase the entitlement firmware.

Hope this helps!
BB

The model breakdown I have is out of Motorola's Service Manual for the XPR5000 series radios.
The ninth character in the model number gives three choices:

A. Conventional.
B. Trunking.
C. Analog only.

I was thinking Door Number 3 meant I can't program digital into the radio.

But if you say that, despite what the Motorola Service Manual says, the analog only version will also do digital, I'll go ahead and get the analog, it's the best price.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

JRayfield

The other gentleman is correct. There is no 'analog only' version of the new XPR5000 series of radios. All models will do both analog (narrowband) and digital.

I'm not sure what you're looking at, because the 9th character in the model number is a 'digit', not a 'letter'. For the XPR5550, it's a '9':

AAM28QNN9KA1AN - UHF (403-470 mhz) 1-25 watt
AAM28QPN9KA1AN - UHF (403-470 mhz) 25-40 watt

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

The model breakdown I have is out of Motorola's Service Manual for the XPR5000 series radios.
The ninth character in the model number gives three choices:

A. Conventional.
B. Trunking.
C. Analog only.

I was thinking Door Number 3 meant I can't program digital into the radio.

But if you say that, despite what the Motorola Service Manual says, the analog only version will also do digital, I'll go ahead and get the analog, it's the best price.

Thanks for the help.

SCPD

QRT
I stand corrected

The other gentleman is correct. There is no 'analog only' version of the new XPR5000 series of radios. All models will do both analog (narrowband) and digital.

I'm not sure what you're looking at, because the 9th character in the model number is a 'digit', not a 'letter'. For the XPR5550, it's a '9':

AAM28QNN9KA1AN - UHF (403-470 mhz) 1-25 watt
AAM28QPN9KA1AN - UHF (403-470 mhz) 25-40 watt

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Mr. Rayfield, you are absolutely correct. I stand corrected.
The model breakdown chart I am looking at does not include the first two characters, AA.
It's actually the 11th character, which the model breakdown chart calls the 9th position.
That was messing me up, sorry 'bout that.

And like I have been saying, the choices for the 9th position (11th character) are:
A. Conventional.
B. Trunking.
C. Analog only.

This chart is on page 1-4 of the XPR5000 series Basic Service Manual.

JRayfield

That model number breakdown is a bit weird - actually, it's not really 100% correct. The standard models (the model numbers that I posted) are for digital conventional, narrowband analog conventional, and they include Capacity Plus digital trunking.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

The model breakdown chart I am looking at does not include the first two characters, AA.
It's actually the 11th character, which the model breakdown chart calls the 9th position.

And like I have been saying, the choices for the 9th position (11th character) are:
A. Conventional.
B. Trunking.
C. Analog only.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the help

That model number breakdown is a bit weird - actually, it's not really 100% correct. The standard models (the model numbers that I posted) are for digital conventional, narrowband analog conventional, and they include Capacity Plus digital trunking.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

All right sir, thank you for the help.

JRayfield

I took a look at the chart in the manual. While the model number chart may show something (a 'feature' for 'function'), that doesn't mean that a model of radio is actually available that includes that 'feature' or 'function'. For example, while the chart shows an "analog only' designator, there are no 'analog only' MOTOTRBO radios available anymore. They were discontinued a couple of years ago (at least). So, this chart is therefore only a 'reference', to indicate how a specific model number may be 'read'. It is not an indication of what models, with 'functions', are available today. The dealer price books and Motorola Online show that information.

As to the 'conventional' and 'trunking' designators, you'll notice that this section of the chart is labeled "Primary Operation". Why they show 'conventional' and 'trunked' as separate designators, when the radios will do both conventional and Capacity Plus trunking, I have no idea. A person would think that they would have another designator to indicate that a radio model would do both, but they didn't. I guess they consider this radio (the XPR5550) to be 'primarily' a conventional radio. I can see why this would be confusing. But, I assure you, the XPR5550 does operate in analog, digital conventional, and digital trunking (Capacity Plus) modes, all in one model.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

A. Conventional.
B. Trunking.
C. Analog only.

superdave240

Loving the 5550's

We have a couple running at a small municipality, and they are great. Our next phase will be to put them in the 15-20 Sheriff's department vehicles. They are already outfitted with XPR6550's for portables, and are awaiting the activation of 3 more TRBO IP Site Connect Repeaters. We also have a couple of SL7550's and XPR7550's in service. Great product line. People can keep their P25's and we will keep the $$$change.

Status
Not open for further replies.