Buying my first radio, lots of research done, looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloop

Sorry I did not see your post earlier. I would NEVER recommend anyone (unless you are on the road 24/7) getting an HT for their first radio. I know that there is the appeal of being 'mobile' any time but by the time you get every thing to make it into a base, you could have bought a mobile rig with pwr supply and made an antenna. I suggest that you read "Getting the most from your hand-held transceiver" by Edward Harris, KE4SKY found at Getting the Most from Your Hand-Hand Transciever. (hope the link is still good, if not Google title) Also check out ARRL's book "Radios to Go!" Both are excellent sources of info for the HT user. 73's NC4WX

KD2DLT

Thanks, that is good advice. I don't expect this to be my only radio and at this time I didn't want a base station in the house, but I agree a mobile unit would have been a very good choice. I also wanted to be able to take this hiking, so I felt it would work well.

stevolene

chirp

Personally, having a radio with 220MHz capabilities is not worth twice the price of a 2m/70cm radio. One of the other things that will really come in helpful is a programming cable. It isn't necessary to buy programing software since the CHIRP program (Home - CHIRP) will work with the FT-60R and it is free!

what programming cable is needed for the FT60 ?

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
The FT-60R is a solid HT, I own one myself. I only use it for cross-banding, as I have no interest in VHF / UHF repeaters, but it has done well, with plenty of hours of use, zero issues. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.