Buying New Digital Scanner-would like input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmv221

I am a new member to this forum but have had scanners for a long time.

I have been debating but it's time to update my scanner and going digital....I have come for some help! Since living in the southwestern Ontario region, where is there a better forum to ask. As I said I want to get a digital scanner to mostly monitor the OPP. I hear the RS Pro96 or the Uniden BCD396T would do. I am steering more to the Uniden as I hear this is a fairly new unit out on the market, and my old units are Uniden. What do you say to this.

imcleish

Myself, I just ordered the uniden 996T, this is my first digital, and my first real base/mobile unit.

I have had all versions of unidens analog handheld TrunkTrackers at some time, but only pre 1996 radioshack handheld units. I bought my first uniden after too many dead radioshack units.

I have chosen the 996T as it is not a handheld unit, and with its design to work with a GPS unit it should flawlessly work as my mobile unit, saving me from toggling which banks should be on or off.

If I was in the market for a handheld/portable I would have chosen the 396T.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Ian

stevecubfan

Premium Subscriber
digital

the pro 96 handheld and the 2096 base unit from radio shack work well and are easy to program. if you want more features then it's uniden.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I don't have any hands on experience with the newer Uniden digital models, but I love my Pro-96. It has excellent digital audio that blows away the older digital Uniden models. From the sounds of things the newer radios such as the 396 and the 996 are very good too. My main complaint with the early Uniden models was the volume difference between analog and digital audio. If you had the scanner set to a comfortable level while listening to analog transmissions, digital transmissions would just about blow you out of your chair. The Pro-96 has an excellent AGC circuit that balances the two nicely. Not to mention the Pro-96 can be found for $299 online at Radio Shack stores in the US that are closing. Thats a heck of a deal.

t_pasha

I bought a BC-296D about a year ago and i love that i can pick up everything and its handheld keeps me busy on those boring days. :)
the software that comes with it is good.. but if u want better then go for the BUTEL
ARC250PRO.
Now i didnt know a thing about trunking, scanning before i bought the scanner. but now i've learnt some things.. and still learning..

rmv221

Thanks to all that helped me on this..........I think I will be going for the BCD396T in a few weeks. Probably will be needing help with programming it.

hemi

rmv221 said:
Thanks to all that helped me on this..........I think I will be going for the BCD396T in a few weeks. Probably will be needing help with programming it.
I hear that is one awesome radio, iam hoping to update from my 250d. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.