WS1095: Buying New Scanner tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
i am buying a new scanner tomorrow i am torn between the WS1095 and the Uniden BCD536HP. Could anyone help with the decision ? Thanks

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
I vote for the BCD536HP

could you give me some reasons, One thing i really like about my whistler is the EZ Scan software for programing. and DMR updates are free . I think i read you have to pay for the uniden updates.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
could you give me some reasons, One thing i really like about my whistler is the EZ Scan software for programing. and DMR updates are free . I think i read you have to pay for the uniden updates.

I will take Sentinel over EZScan any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. It's more versatile, I can dial my programming in exactly as I want. EZScan gets the job done, but is too limiting. Also there is no third party software options for the Whistler. You are stuck with EZScan. With the Uniden you have other options if Sentinel isn't your favorite. You can also use Sentinel for some tasks, and Butel for others if you like. Options are a good thing.

AtlasFBG2

I prefer my ws1095 over my bdc436hp.

I know the 436 is a hand and the 536 is a base but the programing and such I would assume is the same.

Also the cost difference. ws1095 for $340 vs the bcd536 $560 with the dmr upgrade.Amazon prices.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber

I know the 436 is a hand and the 536 is a base but the programing and such I would assume is the same.

Also the cost difference. ws1095 for $340 vs the bcd536 $560 with the dmr upgrade.Amazon prices.

Do you by any chance have trunked frequencies ? And wondering if one is faster than the other picking up the talk groups. Sometimes my ws1080 will miss some transmissions when scanning.

milcom_chaser

-Whistler radio's don't actually trunk track DMR.
-Uniden's are much easier to program, the interface is more intuitive.
-The P25 phase II voice quality is superior to Whistler.
-I'll stop here...

Blackswan73

I have to disagree with the statement. It was because of the bassy, muffled audio that I sold my 536, and kept my 1095. My 1095 audio is crisp and clear. In fact, my HP2 has better audio than my 536 had. If I was going to purchase a new scanner, and I just may, it would be the TRX2

sprite1741

I would never buy a new Uniden HP model after my experience with the BCD436HP. It was a poor performer. My 10 year old BCD996t which runs 12 hours a day works better. If I need Phase 2 it will be a Whistler. Whatever you decide to go with make sure you have a no fee return policy. Try both and return the one you don't like. My 436 has problems missing transmissions. Muddy audio and quality issues on the 436 too.

jmontes77029

Actually the BCD536HP is $499 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
It also depends on what your needs are. If you have NXDN that you are wanting to listen to, only Whistler provides that option and its a free upgrade.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Only one town has dmr nobody has nxdn. I looking for a scanner thats the quickest to pick up talkgroups when scanning NJ state police trunked system

troymail

Silent Key
Asking this question is about as good as asking any of these - you'll get all kinds of responses... and what works for some and in some places just doesn't work for others.

Pepsi vs. Coke
Ford vs. Chevy
Republican vs. Democrat (oh, maybe I shouldn't use that one)
NFC vs. AFC
Cold vs. Warm
Motorola vs. Harris
DMR vs. NXDN

There will be things you like about one, the other, both, or neither. Only you can decide.

radio3353

bailly2

some of the state of nj njics sites use LSM which causes simulcast distortion. the uniden 436 and 536 handle it well. if the whistler doesn't handle it you can always put the antenna through a hole in side of an empty paint can near the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.