Buying uniden scanners in NC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
is there a distributor for uniden scanners in or near Charlotte NC, looking to buy a BCD396xt. it looks like the best if not the only way to get these in this area is online!

ZeroGravity

Premium Subscriber
Save some $ on taxes and order online. Even paying $8-10 shipping is still less expensive.

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
you're absolutely correct, the main reason for this question is that I like to see something before I buy it, so i figured if there was a distributor close by where i could take a look at some of the Unidens, then I could find the best deal.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Closest distributer to Charlotte in NC is Grove Enterprises in Brasstown....I don't know of anyone else that will let you check out the radio ahead of time. Perhaps one of the Charlotte Radio Guys will meet up with you and let you see how theirs performs. You are always welcome to come up to Raleigh on the 3rd Monday of each Month and join us in the monthly meeting of the Tarheel Scanner/Shortwave Radio Group. I am usually able to attend and almost always have mine on hand. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the invite, but you are about as far away from me as Grove is (4 hrs) so you can see my dilemma! with Charlotte being as big as it is why no serious distributors?

SCPD

QRT
Walmart, Radio Shack "dealers", truckstops, CB Shops, sporting goods stores. And probably somebody near the speedway

Last edited:

Drafin

Save some $ on taxes and order online. Even paying $8-10 shipping is still less expensive.

I too am one of those people that wants to have it my hand before I buy, but I gotta agree with the above statement completely, especially since you are already decided on the BCD396XT. You may be able to save much more than you think by actually ordering online.

Unfortunately it seems the hobby is getting away from a scanner dealer per town and slowly sliding itself into a niche market.

Draf

nitroboie

Very easy. I create/plan the systems using FreeScan then send them to the scanner. There are also a couple starter files you can download in the sticky at the top of the forum.

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, i am still tossing the idea around. do you think the HP-1 is worth the $$$? I mean it sounds great being able to just put in the zip for the area you're in and you're up and running, and I do travel often, so.....

W2PMX

Setting things up in Freescan is pretty simple if you know where you're going to be. The HP-1 makes it even simpler, but what price simplicity? The 396 (T or XT) is shirt-pocket size and, as long as you don't program it by hand, is trivial to program. (I'd call programming by hand easy, not trivial, but certainly not difficult to learn.) But with the 396 (or 996 if you want a base or mobile unit), programming by hand when you absolutely need to is still easy.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Ok. No more offers to sell or buy radios here in the NC forum please.
That is what the classifieds are for.
Any further for sale posts will be deleted.
Thanks
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.