Buying used scanners, am I missing the Federal ban or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

I'd say about 75% of the used scanners for sale here on RR are overpriced. In fact many of them are priced substantially more than you can buy new for. I think a lot of the sellers may have overpaid when they bought them. You really need to do your home work to find a good price.

Prime example, someone is selling a BC330XLT (actually a BR-330T, a twenty year old receiver for $200.)
I have found the same experience at many hamfests in the boneyard, where there are many ancient radios that seemed to be dug out of a barn, and the seller is asking what they paid for tthe radio 30+ years ago. I always ask if they really want to part with the radio...........

Same can be said for those trying to sell their equipment here on RR.

p71ford

Prime example, someone is selling a BC330XLT (actually a BR-330T, a twenty year old receiver for $200.)
I have found the same experience at many hamfests in the boneyard, where there are many ancient radios that seemed to be dug out of a barn, and the seller is asking what they paid for tthe radio 30+ years ago. I always ask if they really want to part with the radio...........

Same can be said for those trying to sell their equipment here on RR.
yeah, i see lots of that.

danesgs

I have bought and sold scanners and other radios over the years. Today there is a couple things going on. Lots of folks on Fleabay selling analog radios as "collectors" radios and lots of misinformation like calling a Baofeng UV5R a "digital scanner" . People who don't know any better see a 29.00 price for a UV5R and think "Wow, I can listen to my local police on digital for 30 bucks!"

Still others are getting rid of their junk as "parts only" radios but because the case and exterior are good looking want more than they would be worth at a Goodwill store for 9.95. Some of the pricing on Fleabay is almost funny. 1,000 dollars for a radio the seller considers a "rare" find and it may be, but doesn't do much in todays world and likely need TLC when you get it.

As stated before, we are in a parts shortage and a pandemic et. al. So like toilet paper, people will want to barter for a PRO-2052, that tops if it has working lights and works should not be more than 70.00 shipped. Speaking of shipping. Look carefully at shipping costs. A Kenwood 440S (that has not been checked out) but has a display for 150.00 the seller wants 78.00 to ship. USPS ground is around 2 dollars a pound but that's a bit on the high side if you go to RigPix and look at the weight in the specs.

As always, Buyer beware!

KJ4DGE

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Some of the pricing on Fleabay is almost funny.
Absurd may be a better choice of words. You can always search ebay for sold scanners of the same model, and that'll give you some idea of the legitimacy of the pricing. The wording of the listing can suggest someone who knows the hobby and item they're describing, or has no idea what they're selling. "Powers up" doesn't tell you much.

nosig55

I listed a Home Patrol 1 a few months ago on ebay. The recommended starting price was $170, so i went with that. It ended up selling for $400. I was amazed that the bid ran up that much but it did.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
If you can not find a scanner to buy then start taking a look at pro grade public safety radios. I am using 2 Harris XG100 all band and a KNG2 P800 in the 700/800band for my needs. The harris radios can be programmed for non affiliate scan and you can find the software online if you dig enough to use as well. My KNG2P800 can be programmed as a non affiliate scan radio as well thanks to the engineers at BK Tech. If you have any questions shoot me a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.