• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Buying used Unication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scannerfanman

A quick horror story about giving serial numbers out to prospective buyers. In 2010 a friend of mine put a 5-y/o used Fender Thinline Telecaster for sale on eBay. Guy asked him for the serial number, which he provided without question. A few days later the police were at his door and he was arrested for possession of stolen property and the guitar confiscated. The buyer (dumb kid) had manufactured a receipt for the guitar and reported it stolen. It was a nightmare, and he had to go to court to prove his innocence. Long story short - some idiot kid thought he'd be slick and get a free guitar and did not think his plan through. My friend was able to provide original documentation on the guitar and the charges were dropped, the kid was arrested and charged with filing a false police report and theft by deception. Might not sound like much of a big deal, but it was to him because he had to go to jail and the whole ordeal cost him money he didn't have. All because he gave out his serial number. Something to think about. If you're going to put the serial number out there, include a photocopy of the original receipt so dumb criminals out to score get discouraged. Just a thought...

JD
kf4anc
Holy crap! Yea I'm not looking for anything like that. Glad he was able to get out of it Unfortunately it cost him to do it. I was just thinking it would be a safe thing to ask for it and then run it on Unications serial number lookup before I bought it to see if it was stolen or something. Trying to prevent something like your friends situation.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
If you're going to put the serial number out there, include a photocopy of the original receipt so dumb criminals out to score get discouraged.
If you look at the listings for communication receivers, scanners, and ham radios posted by ebay veteran sellers, you almost always see a photo of the rear panel showing the serial number. If these sellers had the experience you relate to, they'd be blurring out the serial number or just not photographing the rear panel. In many cases, serial numbers are important because they can indicate when a radio was manufactured, and whether it may have included eventual corrections or feature and performance improvements that earlier production models didn't. Anyway, the OP's main concern is that they're not buying actual stolen merchandise, and for that, the absence or presence of a serial number may not help.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yeah I'm sure serial number thefts don't happen everyday, and about as rare as RFID theft, but it does happen. My reference was not intended to hijack the thread, sorry to the OP, I just thought the serial number mishap was interesting.

Scannerfanman

Tailgater your fine, no problem at all. Your story is interesting and concerning. Yea I'm just looking for a honest fair price on a g5 so I can hear my town. Just don't want any issues and just trying to make sure it doesn't happen.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I would just save up a little more and buy a new one. You will also have the warranty as well.
Buying new avoids the worry and uncertainty associated with used electronics. If you're lucky, you may catch a sale around the holidays. Last Christmas, G5's were selling for $100 off the regular price of $565, or the same price as the G4 at that time. (Yes, the price has increased since then.) I was also able to take advantage of an additional one-day 10% discount offered by ebay, and landed a brand new G5 for $508! I purchased from an ebay seller that turned out to be an actual authorized dealer, although I shall not mention his name here.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Does the OP need dual band capability?
I asked last week and didnt see an answer.
G4 are cheaper then G5 units. Not to mention the G5 has 1 VHF and 2 UHF bands so if the OP isnt careful he might buy the wrong G5.
This is not a true scanner so keep that in mind. If your wanting to monitor a Trunking system with LSM issues this is the perfect tool.
If your trying to monitor some conventional frequencies there are better options.
You can not monitor trunking and conventional at the same time.
So OP what are you trying to monitor.

K6LEH

Premium Subscriber
I would consider buying new. My G5 takes a fair amount abuse. With “new” you get a 2 year warranty.
Until the end of this month, you get a “free” 3 year extension for a 5 year total.
Unication replaced a damaged volume control, bent shaft (from too many drops no doubt), the housing, new battery and antenna. Just right before my warranty expired last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.