Bye Bye Vic, Hello Expidition...

Status
Not open for further replies.

okccsi

Yep, the CV is pretty much gone. Picked up an 01 Expidition Police Package. Motor is very strong. Tiny exhuast leak, typical "this used to be a cop car" black paint job, and I think maybe it was wrecked. Driver's door has been replaced and the hood is a tad bit off center.

Good news; great tires, 90 watt 6 head power supply already installed, and interior is in pretty decent shape.

I am showing the pre-install pics. The install will be a month long or so intensive setup. This is going to be my showcase. I am going all out, for the most part. Safety and convenience will be the key on this vehicle. I will post more as I go along.

To make things easier, I will continue to put the install pics up on my servers, so loading time will not be compromised in here.

www.okccsi.com/expi
Enjoy.

OKC CSI

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
The Expedition is a nice car, you will be happy with it. :) It looks like you got a nice one too.

okccsi

Plans. Let's call it a work in progress for the truck. I have temporarily mounted a BCT8, my Polystinger charger, and my power center for 12volt accessories that has the 4-port USB hub and my card reader (digital camera) mounted on it. These are tools that I need immediately.

I am still hunting on a console. I am looking for room to mount 4 scanners, my Kenwood TK-8180, and a switch box for lights. I want cup holders, an arm rest, and possibly a way to cover everything.

I will be using the existing holes on the roof for the antennas. The two trunked systems I use will share one antenna (maybe), then one each for the other scanners, and finally one for my work radio (the Kenwood). Other exterior mods will be push bars up front, and a 4 corner strobe package. There is an existing 6 head power supply in it already so the other two spots will be for intersection lights. These will be in the large back windows facing out. Last in line for exterior mods will be the addition of another strobe power supply. This will be to add 2 strobes to the push bar setup, and two more at an undetermined location.

Interior mods won't be that much. The truck has the 3rd row of seating, which means my organizers and cases will not fit into the back. The 3rd seat will come out so that I can put all of my gear back there. Inside lights will be LED. I have a light bar that I made for another vehicle a long time ago and I am going to be using that across the back window as well as an LED signal stick. LED sticks across the front in the visor area, and the before mentioned intersection lights. The jottodesk mount will be here soon. I am sticking with them because I already have the base for the Crown Vic and the Excursion. Just have to pull out and switch cars as needed.

I have done some research on seating options and decided on not replacing or fixing the driver's seat. The bolstering is pretty much gone for where my left butt cheek sits, unless I do standard cop arm and cop lean out the driver's side window. So, I am going to replace both front seats with a ProCopper seating solutions setup.

I will be using the Toshiba power pack from Gamber Johnson, and running an 800 amp power inverter. Also, I forgot, I will be putting the standard wig-wags and back flashers in as well.

One thing about this Excursion, it has the regular paint job that every damned black and white cop car gets when retired. There is orange peel, there are runs, and some spots that just don't look great. Overall, and especially at night, it looks pretty good. Within the next two months, I am going to have it repainted. Most likely, I will elect to have it jammed out. Meaning the inside door areas will be painted to match. Slightly bigger tires are a possibility as well. The back windows will be getting a touch darker tint too.

I think that is about it. Like I said, I am open to options for a console. I have checked jotto, gamber, and havis. Not sure which direction I would want to lean yet. I have toyed with the idea of building my own, but time is a concerning factor on that. Everything else is mapped out already, just have to wait on things to arrive or actually get them ordered.

As for gas mileage; not near as bad as the Excursion. I have not run a full tank but when I do I will post what I am getting. I sometimes drive 250 miles per night, so it could get interesting. I was not able to find a 9C1 Impala worth a crap, and I didn't want to go with another VIC, so this Expedition was a great find. I don't think the gas is going to be any worse that the CV.

OKC CSI

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Yes, the gas will be much worse than a CVPI.

There is no such beast as a "Police Package" for the Explorer or Expedition. What you have is a Special Service Package, which is NOT a police package. It's meant for use as a fleet vehicle in all sorts of areas, not just law enforcement. It's not pursuit rated, and really is not any different than a stock Exped or Explorer except for a few options like the rubber floor, cheap radio and cheap seats.

Last edited:

okccsi

stateboy said:
Yes, the gas will be much worse than a CVPI.

There is no such beast as a "Police Package" for the Explorer or Expedition. What you have is a Special Service Package, which is NOT a police package. It's meant for use as a fleet vehicle in all sorts of areas, not just law enforcement. It's not pursuit rated, and really is not any different than a stock Exped or Explorer except for a few options like the rubber floor, cheap radio and cheap seats.

While you and I may know that, most people don't know to differentiate between the two. As for being pursuit rated, only one SUV has ever had that moniker and that was the Tahoe. In addition to that, it was for one year only. I recently watched on of those sell for 16k. There are several options available for the SSV's that aren't for others. One of the reason's for most people not knowing the differene between SSV and Police Package is because even Ford markets the Explorer and Expedition as police cars. Yes, it says SSV, but it shows up under polcie cars. The general idea here is that the vehicle is made for heavy duty and/or extended use. What I found odd with this one is that it has the 3rd row of seating. 3rd row is option only in the SSV Expedition's, so it was kind of a nice find.

And so far, the gas has not been that big of a difference. How you drive has something to do with it. Granted the Expedition is a much lighter truck than the Excursion, but it definitely gets better mileage. Same engine too!

OKC CSI

CommShrek

okccsi said:
............ and a switch box for lights...........

Other exterior mods will be push bars up front, and a 4 corner strobe package. There is an existing 6 head power supply in it already so the other two spots will be for intersection lights. These will be in the large back windows facing out. Last in line for exterior mods will be the addition of another strobe power supply. This will be to add 2 strobes to the push bar setup, and two more at an undetermined location........................

.......................Inside lights will be LED. I have a light bar that I made for another vehicle a long time ago and I am going to be using that across the back window as well as an LED signal stick. LED sticks across the front in the visor area, and the before mentioned intersection lights................Also, I forgot, I will be putting the standard wig-wags and back flashers in as well.

OKC CSI

Speaking of lights. I saw you mention intersection lights a couple of times. How many intersections do you plan on busting with those lights on?

Speaking of push bars, how many vehicles do you push out of the way every year? Hmmmm....

I like lights too but..umm..well, I'll wait to see what you have to say. Also, I think you should give Havis-Shields a strong consideration.

wdz

okccsi said:
While you and I may know that, most people don't know to differentiate between the two. As for being pursuit rated, only one SUV has ever had that moniker and that was the Tahoe. In addition to that, it was for one year only. I recently watched on of those sell for 16k. There are several options available for the SSV's that aren't for others. One of the reason's for most people not knowing the differene between SSV and Police Package is because even Ford markets the Explorer and Expedition as police cars. Yes, it says SSV, but it shows up under polcie cars. The general idea here is that the vehicle is made for heavy duty and/or extended use. What I found odd with this one is that it has the 3rd row of seating. 3rd row is option only in the SSV Expedition's, so it was kind of a nice find.

And so far, the gas has not been that big of a difference. How you drive has something to do with it. Granted the Expedition is a much lighter truck than the Excursion, but it definitely gets better mileage. Same engine too!

OKC CSI

I thought the Hummer H1 Police Package was pursuit rated, see http://www.nlectc.org/pdffiles/msp2001bulletin.pdf

Yeah, I thought that was crazy too :)

Last edited:

SLWilson

Can't View site!!!

I'd like to see your photo's, but, in Ohio, I get this message:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /expi/IMG_3634.JPG on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

...Steve:confused:

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
okccsi said:
While you and I may know that, most people don't know to differentiate between the two. As for being pursuit rated, only one SUV has ever had that moniker and that was the Tahoe. In addition to that, it was for one year only. I recently watched on of those sell for 16k.

Close, but no cigar. The pursuit capable Tahoe only took a sabbatical for a few years. Its back and better than ever. Copied from the 2006 GM Police brochure:
CHEVROLET TAHOE 2-WHEEL DRIVE POLICE PACKAGE -
1ST COMMERCIAL DECOR WITH PPV OPTION
Note: Police Package Option PPV must be ordered. The 2-Wheel Drive Tahoe Police Package is Not Intended for Trailer Towing.​
This Vehicle Has Been Designed for Police Work up to and Including High Speed Emergency Vehicle Operations.

mmartinfan

Banned
Twobravo said:
Speaking of lights. I saw you mention intersection lights a couple of times. How many intersections do you plan on busting with those lights on?

Speaking of push bars, how many vehicles do you push out of the way every year? Hmmmm....

I like lights too but..umm..well, I'll wait to see what you have to say. Also, I think you should give Havis-Shields a strong consideration.

+1

And take the handcuffs out! You will look goffy when you are pulled over and they ask you about them. Its best to stick to the fuzzy lined ones.

Twobravo said:

I, too, am waiting to hear the response to this.

CVPI4Ever

There is nothing wrong with pushbars. I see all sorts of vehicles with them on. IMO, they are great front end protection. I am speaking from experience.

As for the lights, are you an EMT or Firefighter?

okccsi

Twobravo said:

A bunch actually. I never said the intersections were on public streets. As for push bars, if I could only count the number of times I have encountered the opportunity to use push bars. Aside from that, I like having the front end protected a little bit more. Also, it is a place to put some more lights right?

I am considering Havis-Shield, and a couple of others. I haven't really found anything though that makes me say "Yes, that is what I want".

I am actually leaning more towards making my own at this point.

OKC CSI

intrepid97

Are you still using CB Radios as communications like the one I see in the photo?

Or have you gone to VHF/UHF FM? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.