C-130 Retardant-drop training

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1879

C130's from NC,Ca, Wy( and some others) are flying to USFS areas in Pisgah NF and Sumter NF for practice retardant drops using the MAFFS system. USFS National Flight-following on 168.65 and lead plane on 132.2 very active. Donaldson center is the base.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I did hear a lot of "Olympic" flights today on 292.200 which is the KCLT ANG base frequency. I wonder if that has anything to do with the flights. They did mention having a system onboard, but I had never heard of the acronym before.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
is it too late to hear anything? just got in from work, wondering if ill hear from alamance on a portable scanner or would it be better if i had a base set up and a 20ft antenna in my back yard?

p1879

C-130 retardant training

MAFFS Modular Airborne Firefighting System
Yes!292.2 is one of the frequencies in use. There are about 90 flights per day
The training is still ongoing- they kept at it well after 6pm yesterday.

A maffs unit slides into a c-130 and they can slime out a lot of retardant!

Phil

afdengine3

Yesterday, In the Brevard area they were utilizing 134.925 for air to air operations. I have yet to see or hear them today.
Chris

afdengine3

Yesterday, In the Brevard area they were utilizing 134.925 for air to air operations. I have yet to see or hear them today.
Chris

p1879

C-130

Good catch Chris. There are 3-4 areas for dropping-Pine, Balsam, Wayah, Mt.Rest and you probably got another lead-to-tanker freq. I have been looking for more, so i am happy you heard another! I got to go to the training 5 years back, the NCNG handled security and the flyguys had a discone set up for 292.2. It is an amazing effort. In a real scenario the lobby that represents the civilian tankers made sure that maffs can't be utilized unless there are no civilian tankers available.

Status
Not open for further replies.