C-17's using "Boeing" callsign ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirScan

What is the significance of the C-17's that are using the ATC callsign "Boeing xx" (xx = last 2 digits of the registration). It's used by multiple AMW and ANG bases. They use the same ICAO identifier "BOE" that Boeing uses. Are these flights being operated on behalf of the Boeing company ? (It's not listed in the "Military Callsign List").

Last edited:

AirScan

Thanks for the info. that's what I initially figured as well. However the flights I'm talking about don't appear to be test flights or coming off overhauls, as they were either operating point to point between AFB's or a using standard callsigns immediately (within a day or so) before and after a BOE flight. One example is a flight that operates regularly, almost like a scheduled service, between McChord AFB and Kelly AFB. Kelly isn't a C-17 base AFAIK, unless they are doing maintenance/modifications there or something ? So are Boeing pilots operating these flights ?

And on the subject of C-17 callsigns, does the "T" added to some RCH flight numbers mean anything ? I've heard it might have something to do with VIP/Presidential movements, but I'm seeing flights that don't appear to be associated with that ?

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. that's what I initially figured as well. However the flights I'm talking about don't appear to be test flights or coming off overhauls, as they were either operating point to point between AFB's or a using standard callsigns immediately (within a day or so) before and after a BOE flight. One example is a flight that operates regularly, almost like a scheduled service, between McChord AFB and Kelly AFB. Kelly isn't a C-17 base AFAIK, unless they are doing maintenance/modifications there or something ? So are Boeing pilots operating these flights ?

And on the subject of C-17 callsigns, does the "T" added to some RCH flight numbers mean anything ? I've heard it might have something to do with VIP/Presidential movements, but I'm seeing flights that don't appear to be associated with that ?
Boeing pilots..Here they run down to Warner Robbins and back McGuire,Dover.
Notice a BOE 18 betwen McChord and WR a few days ago so seems most C-17 work being done there.
BOE18 Boeing Flight Tracking and History - FlightAware ...Tail was 02-1110 62AW based.

Tango flights are US only and can involve other Stateside missions like State Dept and NASA and mostly VIP Pres flights.
Have logged a couple Tango C5M T flights from Travis to Cape Canaveral lately. Prob rocket or space craft mission cargo.

jsoergel

Boeing pilots..Here they run down to Warner Robbins and back McGuire,Dover.
Notice a BOE 18 betwen McChord and WR a few days ago so seems most C-17 work being done there.
BOE18 Boeing Flight Tracking and History - FlightAware ...Tail was 02-1110 62AW based.

The number suffix is usually the last two digits of the construction number for that aircraft - for 02-1110, the C/N is 50118.

Status
Not open for further replies.