Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hi,

Thinking seriously about getting the C. Crane SkyWave radio with
the SSB capability. The $180 model.

Sure is small. And, a bit "pricey".

Would like to ask the following questions, please:

a. Is the loudspeaker decent; both in volume and sound quality ?

b. Guess there is a built in ferrite antenna for the sw bands <30 MHz.

Any way at all to add, instead, your own external antenna ?

I have a good outdoor setup, and my guess is that using it would be superior to the
built in ferrite loops they have. But, it's only a guess.

Also, if there is a way, I think there would have to be an override or switch to
select one or the other, as you wouldn't want both in parallel. True ?

Any way at all ?
I think I read, but am not sure, that you can use the earphone jack for ? Huh !

Or, are both antennas they have built in, the extendable telescope for the vhf,and the ferrite one,
really, really, good and adequate for most listening ?

c. Any general comments on the radio would be most appreciated.

BTW: any others to consider more or less in this price range that you feel are superior ?
Would really want SSB and Air Band coverage.

Thanks,
Bob

nanZor

Much of that has been covered here, but I'll try to be brief:

https://forums.radioreference.com/hf-mw-lw-equipment/360588-ccrane-skywave-w-ssb.html

a. Is the loudspeaker decent; both in volume and sound quality ?

Yes to both. But don't expect miracles from a 2-inch speaker. The clarity of what it *can* reproduce is very high quality. It provides a very detailed sound, which means you can listen to it at lower levels, or if used as a utility speaker across the room on a desk perhaps, you'll still have a good listening experience.

Of course much of what you hear depends upon the quality of the source. Since radio, FM in particular is mostly meant for mobile listeners, and with radio stations seeking market share, they often crank their EQ / compressor limiters to be "punchy, exciting, vibrant, sparkly, booming", exacerbated by using highly compressed source material in the first place. Improper use of their streaming-audio signal sources, can also make their signal sound robotic or coming from inside a Jamaican steel-drum.

Due to the CCrane's attention to detail, you may actually find such stations a pain to listen to, even with headphones. In that case, blame the station, not the radio. Typically Classical music stations are much better in this regard.

Any way at all to add, instead, your own external antenna ?
It comes with a handy 23 foot reel-up clip-on wire. Seems to have an embedded capacitor inline with it to help out reception on lower frequencies. Sure looks like it on mine, and performs well.

In this form factor, slightly larger than a pocket, it needs no external antenna jack for the usage it was designed for.

Like all small portables, a good outdoor setup may prove to be too much for a very small radio with high sensitivity. In many cases, those are detrimental and you need to move to a different type of radio no matter the brand.

Or, are both antennas they have built in, the extendable telescope for the vhf,and the ferrite one,
really, really, good and adequate for most listening ?

Yes, good enough for the near pocket size and usage this radio is designed for. Using something like an Icom R-8600 desktop receiver will be far different.

BTW: any others to consider more or less in this price range that you feel are superior ?
Would really want SSB and Air Band coverage.

Not if you want to keep the same form factor. Or use a radio with questionable IP, where CCrane users are paying that somewhat high R&D cost, and later subsidizing copy-cat manufacturing who also cut corners elsewhere in their radios to make a cheap buck. Always substandard in one aspect or another.

If you want what CCrane is famous for, then it will be worth it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

BOBRR

From OP:

Hello,

Thanks for all the thoughts on.
Really worthwhile comments and opinions.

Very much appreciated.

Pretty sure I'll purchase one.

Regards, and thanks again,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.