C.H.P. Bakersfield (KERN) Frequencys

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
wondering if they went to that 700 band...its in trhe works....

Any chance you can.... provide a link... that's shows conclusively... and not speculation by folks here.... at Radio Reference...showing they are "in the works" to move to... 700MHz?

ScannerPaul

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
CHP Radio Communications (napco.org)
This may just be for (cris) but im told most of california law will join a p25 network.
Public Safety Communications California Radio Interoperable System (CRIS)

Well again, I would ask whom is telling you clearly and factually that CHP is "in the process" of moving to CRIS or their own 700MHz frequencies? You have posted as if you have some official source of information, and if true it would be of interest to many.

An official source (that napco link goes nowhere)? Posts here which are just speculation?

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Well again, I would ask whom is telling you clearly and factually that CHP is "in the process" of moving to CRIS or their own 700MHz frequencies? You have posted as if you have some official source of information, and if true it would be of interest to many.

An official source (that napco link goes nowhere)? Posts here which are just speculation?

People keep seeing CHP 700 frequencies (for their in vehicle repeaters) and jump to the conclusion that CHP is moving there and gosh dang it if you’ll convince them otherwise.

ScannerPaul

Wow.. well boys if we were in a room together I'd be worried you were going to jump me..lol.. calm down fellas it's just speculation I'm not 100% sure just something I read..
But I'll tell you what if either of you are as angry as you sound then find yourself off of this thread unless you have something positive to add..
Otherwise you are both the reason people are scared to post anything for fear of crap like this did I scare you or something are you afraid you can't pick it up on what you can afford please this is a discussion group and don't need people hijacking the thread making people uncomfortable to ask questions or throw out ideas this is not a fact only group... this is where people get information if they don't know... You both have a great day though..

ScannerPaul

Right... Agreed... It is interesting to me following the direction communication in California is going..
My county's communication is considered low in tech as compared to a lot of California and as to that I am grateful it'll be sad the day when those frequencies become silent..

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Wow.. well boys if we were in a room together I'd be worried you were going to jump me..

I actually gave very little thought to you. I was just clarifying for you and others what’s actually occurring as many of us have been following this since the very beginning and know more about it. My area was the first to get the system and zero of the surrounding agencies are making moves to use it because it’s not designed for routine use but as a way for agencies to interop with each other (which many already do already). There could never be enough coverage to do that and it’s mainly for mobile use, not portable.

Progline

Premium Subscriber
A friend in Tehachapi confirmed that the Brown came back up as mentioned here. However as of 11am today, he messaged that the Brown is very weak there, as if a local tower is down? So maybe some issues going on?

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
A friend in Tehachapi confirmed that the Brown came back up as mentioned here. However as of 11am today, he messaged that the Brown is very weak there, as if a local tower is down? So maybe some issues going on?

That’s probably the whole likely scenario. Systems/towers go up and down all the time for various reasons, mostly all for either maintenance or failure and not some massive shift.

ScannerPaul

Tehachapi should be close enough to hear 42.50 pretty well.. especially off the 202.. can you hear the button Willow dispatch..

ScannerPaul

That’s probably the whole likely scenario. Systems/towers go up and down all the time for various reasons, mostly all for either maintenance or failure and not some massive shift.

San Francisco just found an alternative to full encryption.. Santa Barbara just awarded EF Johnson a 28 million contract for a p25 network..
And Ventura did it some years back..Kern is on its way of course we've got a handful of dotards that either can't read or don't follow what direction California is going.. they would be the first to run over threads like this.... you know what I mean

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
San Francisco just found an alternative to full encryption.. Santa Barbara just awarded EF Johnson a 28 million contract for a p25 network..
And Ventura did it some years back..Kern is on its way of course we've got a handful of dotards that either can't read or don't follow what direction California is going.. they would be the first to run over threads like this.... you know what I mean

Yes, a combination of grant/covid monies coming available, end-of-life or major growth impacting existing systems, a fall guy at the DOJ giving agencies the scapegoat, and the pendulum of recent politics regarding law enforcement pushing agencies to the far extreme, all build a big picture of what direction California is going, at least temporarily. P25 doesn't mean encryption, it is simply what's available to buy and where tech is at. Encryption (AES256, the only kind DHS grants will reimburse/fund) still costs a lot of money above and beyond a functioning system to implement.

And a lot of agencies are losing access to knowledgeable radio techs. Talent and experience is retiring and few skilled techs exist to fill in the space, so vendors are providing turn-key appliance solutions vs. real engineering and agency IT departments are inheriting RF. Private consultants are popping up, manufacturing their value, getting a check then disappearing. Vendor sales guys are manufacturing sunken cost when they sell a system at a great price, knowing full well 6 months after go-live they'll need to add two more sites to make it actually work like their old system did. I'm witnessing it in my backyard today.

A lot of people here aren't dumb, we just know CA enough that we don't waste our time crystal-balling all the radio solutions. We've been around to witness the cyclic behavior, agencies buying their 4th gen system, etc. We know how siloed up every state agency is, and how every, single, law, agency, could give a rat's behind about their neighbor. Some of us are even in the same hot wash meetings incident after incident for the last 20 years with the exact same complaint "how come our $7000 radios didn't work?" You think sharing freqs is hard? Try sharing/coordinating encryption keys, let alone their CKR's. The big E will break a lot of what little interoperability we gained for law, because a lot of the agencies think interop is a technical fix, not an attitude adjustment. While others fantasize about a statewide trunked system with every agency on it and able to talk to each other from Calexico to Fort Dick, my crystal ball says officers will die due to lack of situational awareness due explicitly to E. The crystal ball explodes when the next quake hits a metro area, major fire, or flood.

ScannerPaul

Very interesting..
I feel like I just read California communications systems for dummies but couldn't pronounce the big words... Okay all jokes aside you got my attention so what's your opinion on a better system?

Last edited:

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Very interesting..
I feel like I just read California communications systems for dummies but couldn't pronounce the big words... Okay I'll jokes aside you got my attention so what's your opinion on a better system?
A better system? The system that comes out of the likes of Firescope. Where stakeholders and subject matter experts meet, collaborate, communicate, share.

ScannerPaul

Paul, he is not sure which he hears. I'm in the San Fernando Valley, so I'm out of range.
Tomorrow is my day off I'll do some scanning on the ridge and near the offices and see if there's a loss I have some numbers I put together last year see if they match I'll post on here what I find

Status
Not open for further replies.