• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

C4FM or CQPSK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
I am programing an Astro Saber, and i am wondering when programing a P25 conventional channel, which do i select on the CPS for type?

N

N_Jay

I am programing an Astro Saber, and i am wondering when programing a P25 conventional channel, which do i select on the CPS for type?

If it is a single site system or simplex, it is most likely C4FM

If it is a simulcast system it is most likely CQPSK.

N

N_Jay

well...it's a conventional channel, so does this still need to be used?

"Conventional" does not specify if it is simplex or repeated, or if it is or is not simulcast.

My guess is probably not, so program it one way and then the other and see which works best.

W2SJW

Database Admin
C4FM.

From my best recollection, CQPSK is only used on multi-site simulcast P25 trunk systems (9600 baud).

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
and my next question is this with the CPS, I am programming Kentucky State Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference site 3, now when programming this with the CPS, the network ID comes up as 293, do i change this for the nac? is the network id the nac? and it give me the option also to do C4FM, CQPSK or Wide, what is the best option to RX only a P25 Conventional Channel like KSP?

W2SJW

Database Admin
A network ID is used in reference to discussing a trunk system. Seeing that what you want to program is conventional, you need to use the NAC codes listed there in the database. If you leave the radio set at the Motorola default of 293, you won't hear anything on those channels!

NAC is the equivalent of PL/DPL on digital voice. You should stick with standard C4FM, especially now that I see that the agency you want to monitor is not trunked...

N

N_Jay

Well it's receive only, so there would be no TX, so what is the best to choose?

It should only affect RX.

The right one is best and the other is somewhat sub-optimum.

I don't know how sub-optimum.

N

N_Jay

. . . You should stick with standard C4FM, especially now that I see that the agency you want to monitor is not trunked...

The determining factor would be whether it is SIMULCAST or not.

Trunking has nothing to do with the issue.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I know, and I concede that point! :wink:

I just spent the last half-hour texting a few friends that either still do/once did work for /\/\, and they all believe that the KSP would be using C4FM.

CQPSK is normally used on P25 TRS's that have sites transmitting multiple signals on multiple frequencies simultaneously.

KSP is using multiple sites to transmit the same signal. I'm gonna keep digging on this one, because I was never able to set my 5000's to CQPSK on a conventional personality & have it stick (I wanted to see if C4FM & CQPSK 'sound' different 'in the raw').

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
C4FM is the standard for all conventional (simplex or repeater use) in the U.S. today.

CPQSK is used only for "Large Networked, TRUE Project-25 Trunking" systems such as the Michigan MPSCS.

KSP uses a series of conventional Motorola Quantar Project-25 repeaters that are networked on the back end for statewide coverage using both wireline and microwave links.

All of there radios are programmed for C4FM as the standard audio!

On a side note, I saw that the three formats were mentioned somewhere in this article.

C4FM is the standard used for standard Motorola Smartnet/Smartzone and Conventional Radio Systems with digital audio (Project-25). These systems would include the NJSP systems, Burlington County New Jersey, Atlantic City New Jersey, Philadelphia and so on. Basically if it's not a "TRUE Project-25 Trunking System (9600 Baud Control Channel) then it uses the C4FM format with few exceptions. For example, the Bucks County Pennsylvania system is a standard Motorola Smartzone system but still uses the "WIDE" format as does the State of Delaware currently. These will eventually change to the C4FM format as upgrades take place. As of 01-2009 these systems were still using these formats. The C4FM format can be either 25.0KHz channel spacing with 5.0KHz. maximum deviation or 20.0KHz. channel spacing with 4.0KHz. maximum deviation, or 12.5KHz. channel spacing with 2.5KHz. maximum deviation. Most 800MHz. systems operate within the 20.0KHz. range, however there are exceptions. UHF is generally 25.0KHz. or 12.5KHz for the most part with the 12.5Khz. becoming the normal, at least until the 6.25KHz. Phase II starts to become more of a reality.

CPQSK is the standard used for "Large Area, Networked, TRUE Project-25 (9600 Baud Control Channel) systems. Systems such as the Michigan MPSCS, Virginia STARS, etc.
This format assumes narrowband compliance at 12.5KHz channel spacing with maximum deviation at 2.5KHz.

I hope this information helps. I would go ahead and setup the conventional channels for "C4FM" and call it a day...

Good luck and happy monitoring!

Regards,

Jerry - W2GLD

obijohn

The determining factor would be whether it is SIMULCAST or not.

Trunking has nothing to do with the issue.

The correct answer is C4FM. Your radio should always transmit in C4FM. The fact that what it receives is CQPSK or C4FM is moot. The receiver doesn't care. CQPSK is only used by simulcast base stations at this time. (Linear simulcast modulation is CQPSK format).

If it is a receive only conventional personality, just ignore the setting, because the choice in question (CQPSK vs C4FM) only applies to what
mode the radio TRANSMITS.

Last edited:

obijohn

I'm gonna keep digging on this one, because I was never able to set my 5000's to CQPSK on a conventional personality & have it stick (I wanted to see if C4FM & CQPSK 'sound' different 'in the raw').

I'm not sure that even with version 13.00.01 firmware that subscriber radios will even transmit in CQPSK.
I think it is a hardware dependent selection, probably years down the road.

I believe that if you choose "CQPSK" it defaults to "C4FM', just like you found.

N

N_Jay

The correct answer is C4FM. Your radio should always transmit in C4FM. The fact that what it receives is CQPSK or C4FM is moot. The receiver doesn't care. CQPSK is only used by simulcast base stations at this time. (Linear simulcast modulation is CQPSK format).

If it is a receive only conventional personality, just ignore the setting, because the choice in question (CQPSK vs C4FM) only applies to what
mode the radio TRANSMITS.

Since a subscriber unit ALWAYS transmits C4FM, and this is a subscriber unit setting, I would have to surmise that the setting is used to adjust some RECEIVE parameter.

While a well designed C4FM receiver will receive CQPSK fairly well, and a properly designed CQPSK receiver should receive C4FM nearly perfectly, in the real world there may be some RX parameters that are shifted slightly one way or another to optimize for one modulation or the other,

Interesting that it is only good in trunking, since it is possible to build a P25 conventional simulcast system, but then again, Motorola tends to be so trunking centric, they the CPS development team may not know much about conventional operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.